PDA

View Full Version : HUI

michaelh
11-16-1999, 04:33 PM
Anybody have experience using Mackie's HUI. What's your opinion? After using it for a time, do you think mouse&keyboard would do just as well? thanks!
-michael
www.birdscanfly.com

GROS
11-16-1999, 07:09 PM
absolutely not,there are too many limitations with the mouse and keyboard.after using the hui for the first time i realized i could'nt do without it,even though i had to go thru 3 of them to get one that works right.but yes it would be very difficult to go back to mouse and keyboard after using hui.

VERY NICE PIECE OF GEAR IN DEED(I LOVE IT)

LukeH
11-16-1999, 08:14 PM
On the flip side, we got a HUI about five months ago, and I rarely use it at all, except for some occasional mixing. Oh, and clients dig the faders. Maybe this is because I am too used to the keyboard/trackball approach, though. My boss, Mr.Analogue, says he loves it, and needs it. I don't see him using all that often, though, either, quite frankly.
It does look cool, though :]

michaelh
11-16-1999, 11:19 PM
Thanks for the input so far. It's funny how this becomes a battle of superiority so quickly (no offense i swear). My salesman, for example, substitutes "old geezer" for "Mr. Analog" when referring to folks who find faders and knobs a more organic way of mixing than mouse&keyboard. So I suppose my inquiry is more directed at the geezers among us. I'm actually young and computer infested, but when it comes to music, I prefer to close my eyes, push a fader, avoid carpal tunnel, and have more direct access to multiple controls.

So....let me re-phrase...if you generally prefer consoles to keyboards, and you use either HUI or Pro-control, do you find that over time you gravitate more towards the mouse&keyboard for simplicity and accuracy or do you stick with the more elaborate interface for the duration. Anybody out there?

thanks,
-michael

ppine
11-17-1999, 06:45 AM
Simply put, mouse/keyboard for editing, Hui for mixing. That seems to work best for me. I could never edit with the HUI after using the mouse/keyboard for so many years. Heaven help the poor soul who tries to edit with just the HUI.

spigots
11-17-1999, 04:24 PM
We're using a JL Cooper MCS-3800 (it works just like HUI). I must say that I can't live with out it. Just for the Jog/Scrub wheel alone. Also, the Zoom key features are great.