PDA

View Full Version : Best Drum Modules

music
11-04-1999, 06:39 PM
Does anyone have any info on really great sounding drum modules. I have been using Alesis DM-5 and SR-16. Am happy with sounds but would like any advice on anyone using different modules. I trigger from keyboard and pads. Will be using for Hard Rock.

Thanks,

Keith

Nick Batzdorf
11-05-1999, 08:32 AM
Have you considered using a sampler instead of constantly buying drum modules?

music
11-05-1999, 11:35 AM
Good idea? I've not used a sampler before. Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Keith

Lion
11-05-1999, 03:48 PM
Definitely a sampler, all modules will suck

Lion
11-05-1999, 03:51 PM
and a good way to add life is, if you can, use real hi hat and ride. Been doing this a lot and even drummers think everything is authentic!

music
11-05-1999, 06:42 PM
Lion,
Which sampler are you using and does it come with presets or do you record your own into and modify?
Thanks,
Keith http://www.digidesign.com/ubb/images/icons/smile.gif

Dog BBQ
11-05-1999, 06:48 PM
I'm a Big fan of SampleCell TDM!!!!!!!!

I also can't wait For Direct Connect to arrive and try it with Unity DS-1!!!!!!

------------------
[email protected]
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif">quote:<HR>The Greatest Risk in Life is Doing Nothing<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

coaster
11-06-1999, 06:44 AM
buy a mirage ***
(ha ha!)

lion- good trick. stop telling people! i've been doing this for a while, the sloppier you play the hat, the faster people think it's a real kit.
there is NO substitute for real instruments.

Bokir
11-07-1999, 01:26 AM
We're using E-Mu Sampler stuff. The other brand to consider is Roland and Akai. Each has its strong and weakness.

Just go get a demo to each of them. You just can't discuss this to each of us. It will just going to make another long thread.

snoopy
11-08-1999, 11:23 AM
Samplers are great but sometimes you need something right away and don't have time to do the sampling or look through libraries. I keep a DM Pro for such cases and if needed later, I replace it with samples via samplecell. But the DM Pro has become a wonderful tool for me, especially when triggering from disk.

scottgreiner
11-08-1999, 01:37 PM
I've been using an Emu E6400 with my own samples that I record when ever I have a kit mic'd up (lots of samples/articulations & velocity crossfading). Lately, I've been too busy to construct my own banks of samples, and am looking for great sounding libraries to buy. The Clearmountain stuff sounds gt=reat, but not enough dynamics & articulations. Anyone have any suggestions for libraries (not loops)?

chrishou
11-09-1999, 08:08 PM
The dynamics on Em is poor but very good on Roland.It depands,if you are
looking for FAT bottom,Em is the best!Akai stands in betweens.

About drum libraries ..try"Drumescape"

Chris

toneboT
11-14-1999, 10:49 AM
the AKAI MPC2000 drum sampler is great and esy to use...check out there website for more
info.
SampleCell II+ is good too...
building keymaps is a dream...the editor is nice too. 32megs, 32voices, 4 stereo pairs out for your mixing pleasure...and w/TDM option you can process your samples with really cool DIGI plug-ins...
hope this helps..

slickrick
11-14-1999, 09:02 PM
You're probably going the way of a sampler, which is really cool, but in conjuction with my sampler I use my JV1080 with a Bass/Drum expansion board. These ROM based noises are spot on, having touch sens, etc, to liven up a traditionally dull MIDI drum sound. Using OMS as the controller and using whatever sequencer you care for, you can do some pretty nice parts, and then either slave to PTs, or dump it to a stereo pair via an Aux bus.

Samplers are good for some tasks (like modified lo-fi loops, etc..) but the JV deserves a look in.

Just my undervaluated A$0.02 worth http://www.digidesign.com/ubb/images/icons/wink.gif

Cheers

Rick