PDA

View Full Version : CD vs Dat for Master

smrp
10-26-1999, 09:48 AM
The PT maual says that bouncing to disk then burning straight to CD is the best way to get your final Master out of the computer. I thought DAT was what most mastering studios, and duplication houses wanted. Is CD a good media for a master or do we need to be going to DAT?

If we mix out the main outs of our console back into our I/O's to our session, would it be better to use a DAT or an external CD burner straight off of our main outs instead of going back into PT?

Thanks for your help.

Robert U
10-26-1999, 01:12 PM
I usually bounces it down to a 24-bit .wav file since many masteringplaces actually can master 24-bit. The reason for using .wav format is that the place where I master my stuff uses PC. Generally I think it's better with CD than DAT since a DAT-player must do bitcorrection, a thing that I won't bother to explain in any details here..... http://www.digidesign.com/ubb/images/icons/smile.gif

------------------
Robert

AdamFrick
10-26-1999, 02:30 PM
blairl-

how about 24-bit DAT? some of the same issues, but more bits, right?

-adam

Lion
10-26-1999, 02:44 PM
Definitely CDR,
from my experiences the drop outs even on a new dat tape and a clean dat machine are much more likely than a problem with the CDR (there may be problems with the dat tape that you may not hear), also if you use masterlist you will know exactly how long your songs are, in case the album cover will be done at the same time, and you need to know if your song is 4.14 or 4.15.

blairl
10-26-1999, 04:33 PM
I asked one of the mastering engineers at Future Disc Systems about the 24 bit DAT. He told me that they had mastered some things from that format and that they had some transfer problems. I'm not quite sure what they were, but they were discouraging the use of that format.

RMD
10-26-1999, 10:34 PM
The guy who sold me my PTMIX system said he had heard of a lot of people delivering a 1/4 inch analog copy of 24 bit/48khz sessions for mastering. He said the high quality two-track recording captured more detail of the original 24 bit session than could be retained by bouncing down to 16/44.1. Apparently the mastering houses can offer a better bounce down to the final 16 bit format after mastering is complete.

Just a thought.

Robert DiVito

Kenny Gioia
10-26-1999, 11:25 PM
Well if you can mix to Analog 1/2" 1/4"
at 30ips or even 15ips I think the mastering houses would cleary would prefer it. Especially if you're using a Studer, MCI or Ampex machine and especially if you're doing Rock or Pop and especially if you're cuttin from Digital Pro Tools.

The bottom line with DAT's is they use error correction. which means if 15% of your 1's and 0's are corrupted your wonderful DAT player will make up the numbers for you.

CD-R's do not do that.

It's kind of like that day when I walked into my studio and I noticed my assistant engineer replaying the guitar parts the $700 per day guitar player did the night before because he (the ass-istant) accidently erased them. OOps

AdamFrick
10-27-1999, 12:14 AM
For a recent mastering session (in Nashville, if you care), I had multiple copies of the master, including final mix on DAT (AES into the DAT machine) and final mix on CD (direct Jam burn of a PT bounce). The mastering engineer actually listened to both and decided to use the CD as his source, saying he heard a little more clarity and a wider stereo field...

perhaps its a matter of not having a master word clock, so there may have been jitter in my direct digital DAT copy, whereas there is less chance for that bouncing internal to PT...

$.02

-adam

blairl
10-27-1999, 12:53 AM
Bob Ludwig the most famous mastering engineer has said several times and again said at AES New York not to use DAT. He basically said, "You people are professionals so stop using a consumer format." He suggests we use higher bit rate options such as MO, Hard Drives, etc...

Ulrich Lorscheider
10-27-1999, 05:30 AM
Sorry, but some statements here about error correction are just not true. Of course DAT uses error correction, but this doesn't mean your data is being corrupted. There is a difference between error correction and interpolation. The code used in DAT is designed to correct lost data, which means no single bit will change (this is just maths). Only if there are to much errors the code will fail and interpolation occurs. In this case, you will loose data. CD and CD-R, of course, use error correction, too.

Nick Batzdorf
10-27-1999, 09:36 PM
Really the best format would be 24-bit files, wouldn't it? That bypasses all the other problems.

InnerCircle
11-11-2016, 05:47 PM
Holy crap, this thread is old as hell.