PDA

View Full Version : Off Topic - Mackie 1604vlz Problem

Steve Rieck
08-23-2002, 07:45 PM
Sorry for the non-digi post, I am an 001 owner and post here reguarly and I figured some of you may be able to help. Here's the problem...

I own an original 1604vlz (not the vlz-pro).

For the past several months the right main output channel has been cutting out (ie: large reduction in volume accompanied by crackling). Now the left channel is beginning to cutout as well. The problem has gotten progressively worse over time.

This could be temporaraly fixed by boosting some channels trim controls until the sound "broke" through.

I called Mackie and described the problem. They told me it sounded like I had bad Op-Amps in the master section. A "fairly easy" repair at the local pro audio repair shop I was told.

So I took it to the biggest pro audio repair shop in Atlanta (some of you may know it) and was told it needed to have the entire main board replaced. (estimate close to $500...ouch!)

I can't help but think the problem is -in fact- with the op-amps and that the shop just wants to do the lazy, and most expensive thing.

1) Has anyone had a similar 1604 problem ? What was the cause ?

2) I am a meticulous and careful solderer, and probably could replace these opamps myself if I knew which kind to get, I realize the are hard-soldered to the board and not "socket" style.

where02190
08-23-2002, 09:59 PM
Actually sounds more like broken solder joints to me. ("temporaraly fixed by boosting some channels trim controls until the sound "broke" through.) You get enough current wanting to flow and it eventually arcs across the borken solder joint and makes the connection. I suggest opening up the board and touching up the solder points on the main connectors at the PCB.

This failing to successfully repair the problem, ask mackie what the OP Amp part Number is, and who they recommend as a supplier (if they won't supply the part to you directly) and just replace them yourself, since you seem to be comfortable soldering.

accession
08-23-2002, 10:08 PM
Hi Steve,

There is/was a major issue with the ribbon cable running between the I/O and main board on a select number of models that produces the exact fault you described, although I thought it was restricted to the PRO range.

Despite you possibly being out of warranty, the fault is recognized by Mackie and therefore may be covered regardless.

My 1604-VLZ PRO's been in to be fixed twice.

Check the Mackie Forum (http://www.mackie.com/scripts/forum/ultimatebb.cgi) for more info. You're definitely not alone.

Phil

Steve Rieck
08-23-2002, 11:22 PM
Thanks for the info. I think it really sucks that I've heard about so many similar experiences with the mackie analog boards. They have the potential to be great, but I can't run a session with one channel images/icons/grin.gif

I've been contemplating dropping $950 for the vlzpro, but I already bought this mixer 4 years ago, and I deserve to have it work. So on principal, I'd be bummed to go to guitar center and get another Mackie.

I hate to give my money to mackie if the new mixer's just gonna cut-out in time.

I can't seem to find anything else in the price range with all the same features.

How are Behringers or other brands? At this point I'd sacrifice micpre quality if the ****ing thing would just work!

I'd like to hear from anyone who's had a great/reliable experience with mackie analogs as well.

Thanks for allowing my off-topic venting.

BTW: My digi001 never ever fails!!! images/icons/smile.gif Best $ I ever spent, Thanks digidesign!

Steve Rieck
08-23-2002, 11:25 PM
Hey.... Mackie forum! thanks, I'm gonna go get angry over there......

marcoustic
08-24-2002, 04:42 AM
Hey Steve!

I had the exactly the same problem with mine.

It turned out to be the master inserts. I just had to plug and unplug the jacks several times. If this doesn´t work try to plug in a cable that feeds tip to ring.

Hope this helps.

Greets

Markus

marcoustic
08-24-2002, 04:46 AM
BTW
you asked for content mackie customers.
Here I am. I have the 1604 vlz and the 1402 vlz pro and would never even think of trading one of´em in for some Behringer.
Both worked fine since the day of purchase (except for the thing with the master inserts on the 1604).

Markus

jay dust
08-24-2002, 06:44 AM
>I can't seem to find anything else in the price range with all the same features.

How are Behringers or other brands? At this point I'd sacrifice micpre quality if the ****ing thing would just work!

I'd like to hear from anyone who's had a great/reliable experience with mackie analogs as well.

i started to record directly to the Mbox,while waiting to buy a new mixer,and i figured out that my recordings are way better..since the music doesn't go through this very "untransparent" mackie thing,the take doesn't differ so much from the source..not saying mbox pres and ADs are unbelievable,but they're actually quite good (at least compared to my previous roland VS880ex or hoontech adcdac2000 circuits...).
now i wonder if i'm going to buy a mixer,or wait to be abble to buy some actual gear..if i buy a small mixer(1604 alike,but better quality),it could be an allen&heath wizard or a crest xr20,which seems more transparents and have better eqs(4band+bypass) than mackie's.anyone's got a better advice?

studiotony 001
08-24-2002, 07:36 AM
I have a 1604 Pro and I am having the same problem with the main insert faders. How long is mackie going to put out a product that does not work right. I was thinking about going to the MotorMix with my 001. What are some of your opinions on this.(1604 or MotorMix). I am going to link 2 or three of the motormixes together if I go that way.

tony

dkrausz
08-24-2002, 09:00 AM
My 1604VLZPro story…

I had had mine for about 2 months and needed to send it in for repairs as well. Three bad trim pots and a faulty power supply…

When I got it back, it was still "broken". images/icons/rolleyes.gif
I called up Mackie and demanded a whole new mixer. After some debate, they complied.

The new mixer has been flawless for a little over a year now; knock on wood…

Although I really do love this mixer, my confidence with it and Mackie products in general are now tainted. In the event that I will need a new mixer in the future, I can no longer consider Mackie as an option , especially with such a huge BAD track record of "hit and miss" with this VLZ line of mixers.

My .02¢

dk

Steve Rieck
08-24-2002, 03:30 PM
So what are some good alternatives to the 1604?

Freeheel
08-24-2002, 11:05 PM
Had a 1604 since '92 or 93 (whenever they first appeared) Hard use live and studio for most of that time and still going strong.

001fran
08-25-2002, 11:46 PM
wow, you never know where you'll find answers. I'm also having ptoblems with both the main and control room outs on my 3 yr old Mackie 1642 VLZ. Although I think Mackie will comply with the warranty.

As for Behringer boards, I sell them all day long and they never come back, except for the ones with built in effects. They are solid, provide most of the Mackie features and sound just fine for audio routing. I always use outboard Mic Pre's anyway, so the VLZ doesn't really matter.

Steve Rieck
08-26-2002, 07:06 AM
On my way to guitar center in 5 min. to get my new
Allen & Heath MixWizard 16!

images/icons/grin.gif

Anyone wanna but my crummy old 1604? Great if you don't need those pesky unneccesary "output" things images/icons/wink.gif

But in all seriousness the channels and preamps all seem fine.

Anthemmusic
08-26-2002, 08:36 AM
WOW! I'm so suprised at all the negatives about the Mackie 1604vlz. I got mine in '98 and haven't any kind of problems with it at all.

Just wanted to put in a good word for Mackie because I'm sure I'm not the only satisfied Mackie customer. images/icons/cool.gif

studiotony 001
08-28-2002, 06:28 AM
I have emailed Mackie 2 times and they will not get back with me on my 1604. Has anyone had problems with them returning e-mail?

tony

Steve Rieck
08-28-2002, 08:31 AM
I'd give them a call 1(800) 898-3211.

well, here's the rest of the story on my allen & heath I said I was going to get....

I went down to guitar center, realized the manager was an old friend of mine and he was nice enough to give me a phenomenal deal on the A&H mix wizard.

So I got it home and plugged it in, did the usual channel test and discovered channel 5 was not working!

Can't a man just get a mixer that works? images/icons/shocked.gif

Anyhow, I brought it right back to GC and they told me they had no more A&H MixWizards, but could get some rush shipped in a few days.

But they had plenty of 1604vlzpros, so despite my
angry ragings on this thread, I actually walked out of GC with a brand new vlzpro and my fingers crossed. Mackies warranty is for 3 years (if you send in the card).

I have to say I love the design and preamps of the vlzpro, but I've been burned by this board before.
so good so far. Thanks for the recommendations.

-Steve