PDA

View Full Version : Control 24 connect to 192 IO with Speakers ???

Al Rayder
06-01-2018, 05:19 PM
Fellow Control 24 + ProTools 10HD 192 users:
i am running into a snag with connecting Speakers/Monitors to the Control 24 (mk 1) and the Digi 192 I/O Interface. Can anyone please shed some light? Also, please advise the type of cables required. FYI... I am running ProTools 10HD and I have a pair of Mackie 824 Monitors, a pair of Yamaha NS10 Monitors and 1 Yamaha subwoofer. (Is that considered 4.1 surround sound?) The Digi 192 I/O has 2 x 8 Input Analog Cards, 1 x 8 Output Card and 1 x Digital I/O Card. I am planning to purchase 1 more 192 Analog I/O in the near future, but just want to get this setup going for right now. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

albee1952
06-01-2018, 09:37 PM
Fellow Control 24 + ProTools 10HD 192 users:
i am running into a snag with connecting Speakers/Monitors to the Control 24 (mk 1) and the Digi 192 I/O Interface. Can anyone please shed some light? Most folks that use the Control 24 will bypass the monitoring section as its a bit noisy and not very good-sounding(by reputation). Personally, I would suggest a Presonus Central Station Also, please advise the type of cables required. feed that with the analog outputs 1&2 from your 192 IO(db25 to TRS fanout cable)

FYI... I am running ProTools 10HD and I have a pair of Mackie 824 Monitors, a pair of Yamaha NS10 Monitors and 1 Yamaha subwoofer. (Is that considered 4.1 surround sound?) No, this would be considered 2 sets of speakers and a sub(and how the subwoofer interacts can be done in a few ways). If you get the Central Station I mentioned, you would connect the Mackies to Output A, the power amp(for the NS10's) to output B and the subwoofer would be fed from output C. This setup would allow you to select EITHER the Mackies OR the NS10's, and you could use the subwoofer with either set of monitors(or not at all). The Digi 192 I/O has 2 x 8 Input Analog Cards, 1 x 8 Output Card and 1 x Digital I/O Card. I am planning to purchase 1 more 192 Analog I/O in the near future, but just want to get this setup going for right now. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. IIRC, the 16 preamps show up on db25 connectors? so a pair of 8-channel db25 snakes would allow you to feed the 16 preamps to the 192 analog inputs(having said that, most people are not overly happy with the Control24 preamps, so upgrading(at least some of them) should rank high on your wish-list. The 192 analog inputs are on db25 connections, so if you use other outboard preamps, buy cables that work for the connections on your preamps.

In any case, the 192's 8 analog outputs would use 1&2 for your control room monitors. Outputs 3 thru 8 can be used for some headphone mixes. I am guessing that you also have at least an HD Core card?

Al Rayder
06-01-2018, 10:23 PM
Thank you for the tips and advice, I am definitely considering upgrading the pre’s with outboard gear soon. An Avalon 737 and an UA LA-610 were both I were considering, I am open to suggestions tho. I will mainly be recording vocals (singers & rappers) and live musicians. I like the monitoring station idea, was thinking about going with a Mackie Bigknob, but I will look into the Presonus. I have HD3 (1 Core Card + 2 Accel Cards)