PDA

View Full Version : Waveform View And Volume

GTBannah
02-28-2018, 02:48 PM
Hello!

I just saw, that HD seems to have a feature where, in the Edit window, the size of the waveform increases when you push the volume up. Do I have to switch something on in LE for that to happen, or, do we not have that feature?

CygnusX-1Bk2
02-28-2018, 03:29 PM
Sounds like you are referring to clip gain which is part of the standard Pro Tools.

Wizzoboy
02-28-2018, 03:31 PM
Well it increases and decreases if using Clip Gain in both HD and non HD (there hasn't been an LE version for years).

GTBannah
02-28-2018, 03:36 PM
No. The presenter didn't use clip-gain, he moved the fader on the track header, on the edit page, affecting the entire track. I believe clip-gain needs you to separate the clip you want to affect.

GTBannah
02-28-2018, 03:38 PM
Well it increases and decreases if using Clip Gain in both HD and non HD (there hasn't been an LE version for years).

"non HD", "LE", same thing; still not the real thing; semantics. :D

abc1mce2
02-28-2018, 05:43 PM
Hello!

I just saw, that HD seems to have a feature where, in the Edit window, the size of the waveform increases when you push the volume up. Do I have to switch something on in LE for that to happen, or, do we not have that feature?

Where did you see this, in a video?
If so please provide the link.

64GTOBOY
02-28-2018, 05:52 PM
No that IS clip gain which is called "trim" and is actually controlled by the "Trim" plug in which comes standard with all the pay versions of PT from version 11 or 12. It was not available with any LE or First though you may be able to purchase it for use in First from the PT App store but I'm not positive.

GTBannah
02-28-2018, 07:39 PM
.... If so please provide the link.

Sorry, I can't. It's from "ThinkSpace"; copyright and all that. Anyone here studying there?

I'll shoot a question off to them and see.

Sardi
02-28-2018, 08:23 PM
It has to be Clip Gain. That’s the only function in Pro Tools that will alter the waveform height when changing the level.

Pushing the fader up or down in either the Edit or Mix window won’t do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drew Mazurek
03-01-2018, 04:32 AM
No. The presenter didn't use clip-gain, he moved the fader on the track header, on the edit page, affecting the entire track.

No they didn't, you are mistaken I'm afraid.

The fader pop up of Clip Gain could easily be mistaken for the channel fader if track size is small enough.

http://www.protoolsproduction.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/clipinfofader.jpg

GTBannah
03-01-2018, 06:21 AM
No they didn't, you are mistaken I'm afraid.

The fader pop up of Clip Gain could easily be mistaken for the channel fader if track size is small enough.

http://www.protoolsproduction.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/clipinfofader.jpg

I take your point, regarding the similarity in appearance of the two faders, but this seems to be a clip that is quite far from the track header.

Drew Mazurek
03-01-2018, 07:18 AM
I take your point, regarding the similarity in appearance of the two faders, but this seems to be a clip that is quite far from the track header.

Correct, it's an image I found via google for illustrative purposes.

You didn't see what you thought you did because it's not possible to move the channel fader and have the waveforms change size. The only ways to make waveforms change size is through zooming (which is just visual) or clip gain which actually changes the level.

GTBannah
03-01-2018, 03:12 PM
Correct, it's an image I found via google for illustrative purposes.

You didn't see what you thought you did because it's not possible to move the channel fader and have the waveforms change size. The only ways to make waveforms change size is through zooming (which is just visual) or clip gain which actually changes the level.

I got a response from "ThinkSpace", confirming, that the the presenter was indeed using HD, though, they didn't answer my question directly.

So, are you saying, that not even HD can do this? Wow! :eek:

I know of at least one DAW that can do that.

On another score, in the same video, the presenter was typing "S" to solo and un-solo tracks. Is that found only in HD? Try as I might, I could neither find nor create that in Vanilla.