PDA

View Full Version : Pro Tools Dock for 2018, or Artist Mix?

TNM
02-20-2018, 12:26 PM
I want some hands on.. and the mix has been discontinued but i found a discounted one locally, still brand new..

Do they still work and do you think they WILL work with future pro tools releases? Or is the dock a much safer bet? I liked the idea of 8 "real" faders, that is the mix main drawcard..

But it doesn't seem to have the best transport controls, and that's important too.

While we are at it, please feel free to express any alternative of any brand that you think is viable, in the maximum same price rage as those.. that is *known* to work properly with pro tools.

Ta.. look forwards to the discussion.

noiseboyuk
02-20-2018, 12:38 PM
Wait, WHAT?!!!! The Artist Mix DISCONTINUED?!!! Where? Why? How? It's still there on the Avid site with a big Buy Now button. Surely you're getting mixed up with the Artist Control, which always was a bit rubbish so good riddance.

For the last few years, right up to now, the Artist Mix is the only game in town for me. 8 real faders, EuCon means it follows me around the DAW unlike Mackie or HUI. Clear oLED labelling means I never get lost as to what mode I'm in. Shuttle controls are for the 1990s and serve no purpose that a mouse and keyboard won't be quicker at. The Dock is a big ol' waste of space for me.

(other wildly opinionated posts will be available)

TNM
02-20-2018, 01:46 PM
i swear to you they have put it back.. it wasn't there last december..

thanks for the heads up...

I kept looking for it and couldn't find it.. all they had was the control then the dock, then all they had was the dock.. now it seems the mix is back..

perhaps an outcry from users?

Either that or I simply couldn't find it and *presumed* incorrectly for a few days, but either way I am glad it is there.

Allow me to apologise for the misinformation, i really thought it was done for, and I hate giving out false info. Sorry about that.. Unintentional

So the transport controls on it are no good, but otherwise awesome?

is there a combo for it that makes sense, with direct access full transport controls that i can mix and match it with?

Thanks! :D

EDIT! Ahh yes, the control is discontinued.. and that's the one I like the most as it's a bit of everything. It seems to have a full transport without modifiers needed, and 4 faders.
If i find one, which is reasonable to think I would, is it safe to assume it will work with future PT releases at least for a while?

noiseboyuk
02-20-2018, 02:33 PM
Yes, I reckon the Control will work all the while that the Artist Series keeps going. But you don't want one, honestly. An iPad makes a better EuCon touch interface, and the 4 faders have no display with them so you don't know what you're doing.

jimmivalentino
02-21-2018, 12:51 AM
Yes, I reckon the Control will work all the while that the Artist Series keeps going. But you don't want one, honestly. An iPad makes a better EuCon touch interface, and the 4 faders have no display with them so you don't know what you're doing.

Heavy disagree on that. I loathe eventually moving to the dock. Plus all the image and font assets on my artist control are custom so I lose that with the iPad too.

lesbrunn
02-21-2018, 03:06 AM
Hi guys,

I hope everyone is on the same page? I've been looking at the Artist Mix for some time, and I think it's great. It works with both the dock and the iPad.
This is a good time for anyone who wants to pick up an AM...Sweetwater has them now for $799, 20% off.

jwilkers
02-21-2018, 05:26 AM
Must have been a 5 second sale. Still $999 on my Sweetwater site.

BScout
02-21-2018, 10:56 AM
Must have been a 5 second sale. Still $999 on my Sweetwater site.

20% off was only until Feb 20. (it was a 4 day sale for President's Day/Weekend.) It went for almost all of Avid's offering including the S6. Since they did it last December too and just now, I'm just going to assume this same discount will appear again for holidays (memorial, july 4th, etc)

BScout
02-21-2018, 11:00 AM
Heavy disagree on that. I loathe eventually moving to the dock. Plus all the image and font assets on my artist control are custom so I lose that with the iPad too.

you can put images on the iPad from the Eucon software. Don't know about how many font options. Kind of a weird sticking point seeing as the iPad has better resolution than the Control ever did and larger real estate. And better touch sensitivity.

reichman
02-21-2018, 11:26 AM
Dock rocks! If you have to choose between that and Mix, go Dock. Dedicated advanced automation buttons, and an actually useful wheel.

john1192
02-21-2018, 11:43 AM
Dock rocks! If you have to choose between that and Mix, go Dock. Dedicated advanced automation buttons, and an actually useful wheel.

do you dock users use san Artist mix as well to have more faders .. or are you working with the One Fader on the Dock only ??

reichman
02-21-2018, 11:59 AM
do you dock users use san Artist mix as well to have more faders .. or are you working with the One Fader on the Dock only ??

Both. When I'm mixing in a destination studio, I bring only the Dock and get a surprising amount done with one fader and the onscreen faders. When I'm mixing in our studio, I have the Dock+Artist Mix. Mix has pros and cons.

I know I sound like an Avid-advertisement, but plug-in control on the Dock's knobs is really fast and easy. I almost never touch the plug-in GUI anymore with the mouse when mixing.

john1192
02-21-2018, 12:30 PM
Both. When I'm mixing in a destination studio, I bring only the Dock and get a surprising amount done with one fader and the onscreen faders. When I'm mixing in our studio, I have the Dock+Artist Mix. Mix has pros and cons.

I know I sound like an Avid-advertisement, but plug-in control on the Dock's knobs is really fast and easy. I almost never touch the plug-in GUI anymore with the mouse when mixing.

thx for your insight ..

TNM
02-21-2018, 01:43 PM
hey, these things all have their own power adapter too right?

Does anyone know if they are WW voltage, 100-240? Avid doesn't list that on the product pages.
unless for one item the ethernet port has enough power? I find that hard to believe but great if so.

BScout
02-21-2018, 03:23 PM
They use external power supplies. Both for the mix and the dock it is a WW power brick for input (100-240V) so you just need the power cord end.
Dock output is 12V/5A DC
Mix output is 12V/3.33A DC

TNM
02-21-2018, 05:19 PM
perfect.. then i can buy one from anywhere, whoever has the best price :)

cheers!