PDA

View Full Version : compress vocals on mic pre or not?

chalz2502
02-19-2018, 03:08 PM
general suggestion, should i compress vocals on the way into protools on my mic pre, or should i bypass the compressor and record with just the mic pre? if so is it safe to use the output as some make up gain? its harder to get a great input signal when you compress on the way in. my wave formats come out very small after recording. i end up having to do allot of make up gain. the more i turn the input gain up, i still dont get a great mic signal depending on the vocalist. the signal would barely hit the yellow. what i realize though is if i use the output as more make up gain, i get a healthier signal. im not sure if thats good or not to use the output as make up gain. what i also realized is if i bypass the compressor, i get the kind of signal im suppose to get. the only problem with that is it dont sound as warm as it does when i activate the compressor. i have 4 tubes inside my avalon, you think they dont activate if i bypass everything? im open to any suggestions. im running protools 10, using a avalon 737 mic pre, neumann 103 mic, and a mbox pro 3 as my interface. i have 4 tubes inside my avalon

Raoul23
02-19-2018, 03:13 PM
I always compress a little bit on the way in, between 2-4 dB but if it sounds good do whatever you want there are no wrong or right ways

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chalz2502
02-19-2018, 03:17 PM
yeah i know this, but what if i get someone who cant record loud enough to get a healthy signal gain. even when i turn the gain input up higher it still a little low. if i used the output to add extra make up gain, is that wise to do?

zedhed
02-19-2018, 03:47 PM
My personal preference is to record vocals raw on the way in. The only thing I might do is use a soft clip limiter. Compression can be added later but cannot be taken out when used during recording, so flexibility is key for me. The trick here is to use the right equipment in the first place.

yeah i know this, but what if i get someone who cant record loud enough to get a healthy signal gain. even when i turn the gain input up higher it still a little low. if i used the output to add extra make up gain, is that wise to do?

Ideally, getting a strong signal to record is preferable. Adding gain on the output will also accentuate any noise that was recorded on the way in.

What Mic are you using....and does it (or your Mic Pre) have a pad that may be engaged accidentally?
You may want to try a different Mic ( and or singer :D).

chalz2502
02-19-2018, 03:52 PM
i use a neumann 103, and my interface has a -10 db pad, if i go plus 4 i get allota feed back that sounds like air in the background.

zedhed
02-19-2018, 04:44 PM
What does it sound like plugging straight into Mbox without the Avalon?

I have to ask the obvious question, is the Avalon input knob turned to Mic position (phantom power on as well)?

How are the Mbox and Avalon connected.....digital?

chalz2502
02-19-2018, 04:52 PM
its a good signal going into the mbox, as well as when i bypass the compressor. my mic pre is set to 48v phantom power as well

zedhed
02-19-2018, 05:00 PM
Try turning the Avalon Pre Amp gain all the way down (fully anticlockwise), disengage the pad, then slowly turn pre amp gain up incrementally testing signal as you go. At this stage, bypass the compressor altogether.
BTW, what compressor are you using?

How is all this gear connected together?

albee1952
02-19-2018, 07:30 PM
How is all this gear connected together?
This is THE important question. If the Avalon is patched into the Mbox XLR input, you are slamming a line-level signal into a mic-level input(not a good idea). Use the TRS input and lower the GAIN knob all the way:o