PDA

View Full Version : Damn this is some seriously awesome, inspiring software

TNM
01-31-2018, 11:48 AM
I am literally on a natural high from composing the last hour in PT 2018.

it's just so ergonomic.. I used Logic to make a video for some peeps to show them an automation bug with it, and it literally felt SO fiddly after the epicness of Pro tools.

So? Yeah, low latency performance could be better - but freeze takes care of that, i keep on forgetting how darn GOOD the freeze is, cause i can do just the instrument (or commit it to wav) and then do everything else i need to do with FX in realtime.. and the alt-H bug on mac really needs to be fixed, really.. But other than that..software just doesn't get much better than this.
How glorious is offline commit? I mean WTF? And Multiple out freeze! Aux freeze! Watch the Pro tools expert video on freezing and commit to really understand how deep pro tool's implementation is. I love the way you can easily commit aux fx as audio and blend the effected wet render of the audio to mix with anything else you desire. Prosopniq Morph anyone?

I really can't understand how anyone can choose any other DAW.. to an *extent*, I understand why someone would choose Cubase for purely midi composition, but both Logic and Cubase are just *horrid* in comparison to pro tools for any audio editing.
And the midi is getting better and better bit by bit.

How glorious it felt, when i just inserted a high latency linear phase EQ, and automated, a gain plugin below it, and it was bang on grid, on time.. where as in logic, the automation plays late by the latency of said EQ plugin.

How glorious to be able to open a lightning fast browser, where i can audition anything in project tempo..
In Logic i can only audition acid or apple loops, i have to rewire live to audition wav files without metadata in project tempo.
Oh and Cubase and that horrendous media bay that needs to be terminated from existence..Every time it's opened, even on fast SSD's, it can randomly forget and scan for ages all over again.
It drives me batty.

How glorious that avid rhythm mode auto slicing works perfectly on any drum loop i have ever tried, whereas cubase and DP sound like a stabbed cat when you change tempo and have a drum loop following the tempo change.

How glorious everything is on just 2 pages but in reality, the entire mix *can* be done from just the arrange page. But even so, with 2 screens, one arrange one mixer, this is THE cleanest DAW on the planet. BEST gui bar none, nothing even comes close.. Nada. Zip.

How glorious is the real time midi parameters that one can have permanently displayed without going into menus.

How glorious is the warp editing, so easy.. but best of all, pro tools is GREAT at guessing transients on it's own.

How GLORIOUS is the tab to transient feature that just WORKS with one button, unlike the workarounds required for poobase and Bogic.

How glorious is the beat mapping that is so easy to use cause of tab to transient and command I.

How GLORIOUS and divinely unbeatable is the GAIN LINE on pro tools, where you can just select a range, then a handle appears for you to drag up or down, and the clip volume amplification visually adjusts to compensate. I think Reaper copied this, but besides that, not one other DAW can do it like PT.. Check out Cubase's clip gain and you will add 20 hrs work to each project just because of that!

And don't laugh, but i find boom and xpand2, and vacuum glorious too! I have great use for all of them, almost every project. I always use boom to add my own electronic percussion. So easy to do.

But what's the most glorious thing of all? That i haven't even touched on just how amazing pro tools is.. Markers that go beyond any markers of any DAW, awesome VCA's and grouping, lightning fast workflow once you know the key commands (there really is nothing faster but it is imperative to learn all tricks and shortcuts!)

What a glorious time to be alive and be making music. We are very, VERY lucky, believe me!

Be positive. I need to listen to those words myself sometimes.

Pro tools ROCKS.

and that's just the vanilla!

john1192
01-31-2018, 11:53 AM
sweet .. and can you remind of us this one please ?? "the alt-H bug" .. lets get this pushed for again ..

TNM
01-31-2018, 01:10 PM
sweet .. and can you remind of us this one please ?? "the alt-H bug" .. lets get this pushed for again ..

it's been put into legacy LOL cause somehow pro tools 12 is legacy now, even though 2018 has all the same bugs on mac anyway

here is the topic link john:

On the last page i include Avid's confirmation and a sort of workaround

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=395800

john1192
01-31-2018, 01:19 PM
it's been put into legacy LOL cause somehow pro tools 12 is legacy now, even though 2018 has all the same bugs on mac anyway

here is the topic link john:

On the last page i include Avid's confirmation and a sort of workaround

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=395800

thx .. i remember this now ..

Ticker
01-31-2018, 01:33 PM
Nice post, OP! I have felt this way about PT for some time - now I need to make time for getting the latest update!

Emi
01-31-2018, 01:58 PM
I must confess:

I come from a long journey with Nuendo, to be more clear, from version 1.6. And while I was still working with Pro tools in recording studios I always had issues with it (mainly with stability and resources issues) where Nuendo was flawlessly.
I stayed with Nuendo 4 till December 2017 and I had to update. I checked Nuendo 8 and while it was going great and strong I felt it was like a toy. Than I said to myself, why not Pro tools. So I downloaded the one month PT11 trial version and was amazed with it. So I took the plunge and purchased PT12 and in this short period of time it had become the center piece of my audio work.

TNM
01-31-2018, 02:02 PM
Nice post, OP! I have felt this way about PT for some time - now I need to make time for getting the latest update!

Thanks Ticker!

It's important to report bugs indeed, but it's also important to recognise what we have and how good it IS overall. Forums have so much negativity, including from myself.. I absolutely admit it..

But hopefully this topic puts a smile on it's readers' faces :)

I feel pro tools is unfairly bashed all the time, especially on other forums..

People literally call us morons for using it..little do they know that it's not us who are the morons! hehe.

TNM
01-31-2018, 02:03 PM
I must confess:

I come from a long journey with Nuendo, to be more clear, from version 1.6. And while I was still working with Pro tools in recording studios I always had issues with it (mainly with stability and resources issues) where Nuendo was flawlessly.
I stayed with Nuendo 4 till December 2017 and I had to update. I checked Nuendo 8 and while it was going great and strong I felt it was like a toy. Than I said to myself, why not Pro tools. So I downloaded the one month PT11 trial version and was amazed with it. So I took the plunge and purchased PT12 and in this short period of time it had become the center piece of my audio work.

are you using HD native or just vanilla? Vanilla would lose a lot of nuendo functionality wouldn't it?

Good to know someone coming from Steinberg instead of the other way around!

Me too, as i used cubase and Logic as my main DAWs from 1997 to 2016.

Emi
01-31-2018, 02:23 PM
Vanilla, I didn't need all the extensive functions for post pro of Nuendo, and don't need PTHD nither. All I want is a simple DAW that is stable and sound solid and while I'm opening a can of worms, the processing in PT is way better to my ears.

I was afraid of just one thing about PT - hardware insert automatic delay compensation, as I like to insert as many hardware as I can get. And PT is doing it great (checked it)