PDA

View Full Version : Apple, QuickTime And PT

GTBannah
01-30-2018, 06:09 AM
Hello!

With Apple supposedly "abandoning" Quicktime, what are the implications, if any, for the video Engine here? Will Avid have to get us a new one?

The folks at Steinberg are working on a new one, as we speak, citing that as the reason.

Drew Mazurek
01-30-2018, 07:58 AM
With Apple supposedly "abandoning" Quicktime.

Huh? Source? Are you referring to Windows support by chance?

peterle
01-30-2018, 08:40 AM
what steinberg "tries" (look in the nuendo forum how it works , or not)
is to establish an quicktime independent video engine,
a step that avid already did with the change from PT10 to PT11..
thats quiet a bit ago.

quicktime was abandoned from apple because a lot of security problems,
and its inherent problems with video in protools where one of the reasons to drop
quicktime from avids side.

GTBannah
01-30-2018, 08:47 AM
what steinberg "tries" (look in the nuendo forum how it works , or not)
is to establish an quicktime independent video engine,
a step that avid already did with the change from PT10 to PT11..
thats quiet a bit ago.

quicktime was abandoned from apple because a lot of security problems,
and its inherent problems with video in protools where one of the reasons to drop
quicktime from avids side.

As expensive as it is, this might have to be the next move .... :(

https://non-lethal-applications.com/products/video-slave-3

Reckless Erik
01-30-2018, 11:53 AM
..and if you convert to .mxf?

GTBannah
01-30-2018, 01:49 PM
..and if you convert to .mxf?

Tell us a bit more .... :confused:

peterle
01-30-2018, 02:23 PM
here are NOT qt videofiles meant,
its just the video engine.
QT Files still play nice as before in PT.

maybe here is a misunderstanding?

BScout
01-30-2018, 03:55 PM
With Apple supposedly "abandoning" Quicktime, what are the implications, if any, for the video Engine here? Will Avid have to get us a new one?
Avid already did. It's called the Avid Video Engine (AVE). They did it June 21, 2013. Going on 5 years too late on this news.

GTBannah
01-30-2018, 04:03 PM
Avid already did. It's called the Avid Video Engine (AVE). They did it June 21, 2013. Going on 5 years too late on this news.
.... so, Steiny, like I am, is behind time?! :D

PatriotsBiker
02-01-2018, 04:41 AM
So, at the risk of sounding way behind the times or otherwise far too comfy under my rock, is QuickTime needed to run on a PC for Pro Tools anymore?

(Edit: - For audio sessions, is my intended question.)

GTBannah
02-01-2018, 06:18 AM
So, at the risk of sounding way behind the times or otherwise far too comfy under my rock, is QuickTime needed to run on a PC for Pro Tools anymore?

(Edit: - For audio sessions, is my intended question.)

You’re not alone, in possibly being behind the times.

My understanding is, that you do not necessarily have to have QuickTime installed for PT to handle video, it’s just that some time in the future, video exported by PT may not play back in QuickTime, if it is indeed installed.

Will those “older and wiser” please jump in and clarify? :-)

PatriotsBiker
02-01-2018, 06:42 AM
You’re not alone, in possibly being behind the times.

My understanding is, that you do not necessarily have to have QuickTime installed for PT to handle video, it’s just that some time in the future, video exported by PT may not play back in QuickTime, if it is indeed installed.

Will those “older and wiser” please jump in and clarify? :-)

The reason I asked is at some point in the 2018.1 PT installation, a message requiring me to press "OK" appeared stating that QT was required, errors may occur and everyone I know will come down with an illness if I do not go to the apple site and download their latest driver. (I had decided to uninstall QuickTime when uninstalling the rest of PT prior to the new PT version install. )

JoelG
02-01-2018, 07:03 AM
I think you need Quicktime to do anything with MP3's. Although you don't need to have it enabled as a plugin in your browser.

I'm not sure if Apple is still releasing updates for Mac's, but they stopped updating it for Windows 6 months ago or more.

Joel

The Weed
02-01-2018, 09:33 AM
Check on pro-tool-pc.com. They have a post about how to have QT installed on Windows for PT without having to have the complete QT, which, as stated, Apple have "killed" on PC.