PDA

View Full Version : PT 2018:1 - video engine not working (for some)

noiseboyuk
01-26-2018, 04:34 AM
Looks like several of us have the video engine borked in 2018.1. Just cannot initialise it, eventually crashes so I'm back to 12.8.1 again. Figured a thread might be helpful to see who has this issue, as I know not everyone does - see if its OS dependent etc.

My specs: W10 Anniversary, RME Babyface, 2x GT610 graphics cards.

noiseboyuk
01-26-2018, 05:44 AM
Fixed here by uninstalling everything - preferences, databases, the lot, then reinstalling 2018.1.

Wizzoboy
01-26-2018, 07:06 AM
Yes, in Windows you should always uninstall the old version completely before installing the new. Mac users can get away with just installing the new version over the top of the old.

limeli
01-26-2018, 11:14 AM
I did a full uninstall, rebooted and re-installed (I'm on a Windows machine) and I am still getting a video engine error on sessions which ran ok yesterday.
Are other users experiencing the same problem?

limeli
01-27-2018, 03:31 AM
Still no succes in getting video to run in PT 2018.1.
The system refers to the video engine error log, but I can't seem to find it.
Where is that log residing?

Elfuello
01-27-2018, 03:56 AM
Yes, in Windows you should always uninstall the old version completely before installing the new. Mac users can get away with just installing the new version over the top of the old.

Thank you! Now it works without problems.
I’ve uninstalled and deleted everything from Avid, also manually (don’t forget to search document folder, avid in common folder (program files x86/x64) and onedrive document folder). After that install once again PT 2018. I think that Windows has a really weak uninstall procedure and it skips many files. You have to do it itself to clean all the files from Avid (specs, settings etc.).

abc1mce2
01-27-2018, 04:23 AM
Fixed here by uninstalling everything - preferences, databases, the lot, then reinstalling 2018.1.

I assume when you say everything you don't mean plugins correct?
By everything what exactly did you uninstall cause I want to try this myself.

mandal
01-27-2018, 05:06 AM
https://www.4sound.dk/forum/Content/uploads/90189257-ac01-4970-aa29-a87500e769ae_avidvideoengine.jpg

I installed 18.1 HD from the Avid Application Manager - and the Video Engine will not start...

Elfuello
01-27-2018, 05:46 AM
I assume when you say everything you don't mean plugins correct?
By everything what exactly did you uninstall cause I want to try this myself.

Yeap, you can keep it (plugin folder), everything else - delete!

abc1mce2
01-27-2018, 06:45 AM
Yeap, you can keep it (plugin folder), everything else - delete!

I'm going to back my system up (Arconis and Trasher) and search my drive and delete everything as you said and see what happens.

Wont be able to do this til tomorrow and it'll probably take me a few days to test my system correctly and I'll get back with the results.

My issues are sometimes during session launch PT will hang on the master bus (maybe due to a plugin or oversampling) and I'll have to force quit and reboot my system and also sometimes when I try to quit PT it'll hang (with either Ctrl+Q or clicking the close button) and I'll have to force quit and reboot.

Jon_Atkinson
01-27-2018, 09:09 AM
2018 Working fine for me here on Mac High Sierra.... Video playing on AJA IO Express and also on desktop....

Is the video engine issue just a Windows 10 problem? Certainly seems that it's only Windows users who have posted as such....

mandal
01-27-2018, 10:06 AM
https://www.4sound.dk/forum/Content/uploads/90189257-ac01-4970-aa29-a87500e769ae_avidvideoengine.jpg

I installed 18.1 HD from the Avid Application Manager - and the Video Engine will not start...

From the Windows Control Panel - I removed only Pro Tools (drivers etc was not removed).
Then I rebooted my PC and did a new installation of Pro Tools HD 18.1 - from the Avid Application Manager...

Now - everything works perfect !!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

noiseboyuk
01-27-2018, 10:08 AM
2018 Working fine for me here.... Video playing on AJA IO Express and also on desktop....

Is the video engine issue just a Windows 10 problem? Certainly seems that it's only Windows users who have posted as such....

Could well be, I don't think I've read of a mac problem. And it seems to really be an install issue more than a video one as such, as a totally clean install fixes it. So yeah, my money would be something in the Windows install process that is screwy.

It's a PITA, but I think the earlier advise about ALWAYS doing a totally clean install for any Windows update is pretty sound.

daxmaestro
04-05-2018, 08:21 PM
Hi all, first post here. I joined after the past couple of days with the video engine error / missing codec or unsupported format. I tried just about everything from every site that I read on how to fix it. Steps I did:
I made sure no characters (/ or \) was in any file names
Uninstalled Pro Tools 2018.3, re-installed. Even went all the way back to Pro Tools 12.3. Also installed Pro Tools through application manager
Installed ccleaner and cleaned registry
Searched computer and cleared filenames with avid
Installed Codecs LE
Converted my mp4 files to prores /.mov with Wondershare, and another program someone suggested. I tried handbrake, but was lost with that one.
And a bunch of other things... I was about to give up and just do a fresh install of windows hoping that'd fix it. But who wants to take 2 days to re-install all of those programs???

In one last attempt, since I kept reading about prores and avid accepted formats, I searched online for and found a site that had video clips of different video formats. Avid's were in there. Downloaded the clips, fired up Pro Tools >> Import video, and voila! Just like that. What's weird is out of all the clips I tried, the ONLY two formats that worked were Avid DNxHD and Avid DV Codec. Nothing else, not even prores worked. At least on my machine. :confused: Now the same mp4s and mov files I had works on my other laptop with Pro Tools 11. And used to work on this one. Not sure what happened. Looks like I'm stuck with those formats. When I get some more time, I'll try some more from that site and see what happens. If anyone wants to know, the site is: https://www.clipcanvas.com/a/video-clip-formats-and-codec-sample

UPDATE: So I tried to convert the videos that I had with Ackrok video converter to DNxHD with the various options, and import into Pro Tools, with no luck. I went back to the avid video clips I downloaded from clipcanvas, and they imported with no problems. Anything I tried to convert just no dice. I tried many different video files I had on the computer. So after some time, overnight I just decided to "reset this pc". This morning armed with a fresh install, I installed Pro Tools 12, and went to import one of the mp4s, and loaded right up. Anything I threw at it, opened right up with no problems.

Now, I do remember trying out Avid Media Composer a while back, and that just never opened up - no matter what I tried. An error message just kept popping up. I even signed up with the community for that one, and tried everything there. I uninstalled it, re-installed it, with no luck. I figured maybe something was just hanging in my system from it, even though I'd uninstalled it. I went through the registry, and even on the hard disk and tried to delete everything related to it. Maybe something was just stubborn that was hanging in the system from it, that it took a fresh install to kick it out. Any rate, back in business.