PDA

View Full Version : Error when Dock is switched on before windows boots

domilik
10-30-2017, 02:54 AM
I have a Dock attached to a S3.

When the Dock is switched on before windows started, it cannot be connected, there's a error message. I have to disconnect the dock from power supply cable (simple switch off does not help) and reconnect.

On the other hand, when the S3 is off during boot, there's the same problem vice versa.

So when I beginn to work I need to check if S3 is switched on and Dock is switched off, then start windows, then switch on Dock. Much too complicated.

This error occurs on my 3rd system, so it's not due to my installation I guess. Can this be solved? I'd would like to switch on everything with a single external power botton, since this tiny switch on Docks back side is hard to find.

EddieJones
10-30-2017, 06:26 PM
How do you have the Dock connected..is it via the S3 ?

Anthony_Anz
10-31-2017, 08:02 AM
I have a Dock attached to a S3.

When the Dock is switched on before windows started, it cannot be connected, there's a error message. I have to disconnect the dock from power supply cable (simple switch off does not help) and reconnect.

On the other hand, when the S3 is off during boot, there's the same problem vice versa.

So when I beginn to work I need to check if S3 is switched on and Dock is switched off, then start windows, then switch on Dock. Much too complicated.

This error occurs on my 3rd system, so it's not due to my installation I guess. Can this be solved? I'd would like to switch on everything with a single external power botton, since this tiny switch on Docks back side is hard to find.

I'm on windows too...

do you have the S3 connected to the dock somehow? I have my dock and a s3 completely separated. Each uses it's own power brick and each network cable is independently connected to a small 5 port switch. I have no issues with this setup and I can power them off and on at will. EuControl just "finds" them. -- you may want to try that...

** UPDATE ** I just read the setup guide for the dock.. I guess you can connect the 2 using the other Ethernet port... make sure the Dock is in port B. Port A should be going to a network switch or your PC.

Page 6
http://connect.euphonix.com/documents/3.7/Pro%20Tools%20Dock%20Guide.pdf

domilik
11-01-2017, 06:19 AM
** UPDATE ** I just read the setup guide for the dock.. I guess you can connect the 2 using the other Ethernet port... make sure the Dock is in port B. Port A should be going to a network switch or your PC.

Thanks for your replies, and yes, I have connected the dock to Port B on S3, and Port A is connected to network.
So this way maybe just does not work on PC? Should I use independent CAT cables to network switch? I have my network switch 20meters away next door, so this would be a quite laborious modification just for a try...

EddieJones
11-01-2017, 08:46 AM
The S3 has a network switch inside so if running through the S3 the connection to the Dock won't become live for a few seconds until boots. This could be causing the Dock to be missed by Apple Bonjour(used by EUCON for discovering modules). To test this theory switch everything on and then leave for 5 mins....does the Dock eventually appear ?

domilik
11-03-2017, 01:40 AM
The S3 has a network switch inside so if running through the S3 the connection to the Dock won't become live for a few seconds until boots. This could be causing the Dock to be missed by Apple Bonjour(used by EUCON for discovering modules). To test this theory switch everything on and then leave for 5 mins....does the Dock eventually appear ?

Tried that, without success.

It's not that the dock does not "appear", it's a error message coming up every time:
Network error - Unable to connect to the unit named "PT Dock" ...

After that I need to unplug the power cable of Dock and reconnect. Switching off/on does not help.

Anthony_Anz
11-03-2017, 04:12 AM
Tried that, without success.

It's not that the dock does not "appear", it's a error message coming up every time:
Network error - Unable to connect to the unit named "PT Dock" ...

After that I need to unplug the power cable of Dock and reconnect. Switching off/on does not help.

Ok, I just tested this here. Mine works so at least we know, in theory, it should work. A couple of questions...

1) does the dock work on its own with no S3? (Pugged direclty into the switch?

2) can you test the dock /S3 functionality with a small switch in the room with your dock and S3? Plug each into its own port on the switch...

Just trying to narrow thngs down....

EddieJones
11-03-2017, 09:06 AM
I wonder if this has to do with IP addressing. Can you tell me the IP address of the network adapter you are using on the Mac to connect to EUCON ?
Does it start with 169.x.x.x or 192.x.x.x ?

domilik
11-04-2017, 02:16 AM
1) does the dock work on its own with no S3? Pugged direclty into the switch?

Thanks guys for your help!

I tested the dock directly connected to network (without S3), there were no problems! So there must be an issue with the network switch inside S3?

I don't know where to find the IP adress of my network switch(?), the switch does not appear in device manager. What I do see is the network adapter, but where to find the IP? My - also connected - fritzbox modem has IP 192....

EddieJones
11-04-2017, 08:04 AM
I tested the dock directly connected to network (without S3), there were no problems! So there must be an issue with the network switch inside S3?
I don't think so, maybe it's not booted up by the time EuControl requests what surfaces are there. Have you tried reversing the 2 Ethernet connectors on the back ?

I don't know where to find the IP adress of my network switch(?), the switch does not appear in device manager. What I do see is the network adapter, but where to find the IP? My - also connected - fritzbox modem has IP 192....
To get the IP address you need to right-click the network adapter and select status I think. the other thing you could do is open a CMD promt and type ipconfig in and post the results here.

Anthony_Anz
11-05-2017, 10:24 AM
OK, so we know the dock is actually functional and that there is no issue with ITS network port.

I've noticed that if the Dock is ON and the S3 is OFF and then I turn the S3 ON only the S3 is recognized by EuControl. Most likely because the dock has already tried to broadcast itself and EuControl never got the message (because the S3 was off). If I turn the Dock off and then back on it then gets picked up with no issues. So the moral of the story is to definitely have the S3 on before booting the dock.

I still stand behind trying a small 5 port switch in the room with the PC, S3 and Dock. connect the run to your main switch into one of the ports of the small switch and then connect the PC, S3 and the dock to individual ethernet ports on the small switch and reboot all devices, PC then S3 then Dock. If they are all unmanaged switches then that scenario should work... and separate your EuCon traffic from the rest of your network. ;) .. and it won't matter what order you boot your S3 or Dock.