PDA

View Full Version : Fresh install - licence deactivation

TrentWilliams
06-02-2017, 10:30 PM
Hello,

Looking for some advice on fresh install processes.

I'm getting ready to completely wipe and fresh install my whole workstation, but am starting realise there are a few licences for various software that need to be deactivated on this machine before I hit 'erase drive'.

Does anyone have any tips on best practise for making sure i've deactivated all necessary software before I go ahead with this process? So I don't run into the issue of not being able to authorise software once I start reinstalling everything?

Any help is appreciated,

- T

JFreak
06-03-2017, 12:02 AM
iLok takes care of most of it, but you should list your software and check whether some of it requires deactivation. sorry to say but that is the only way.

dr_daw
06-03-2017, 08:39 AM
Your best option, on top of what was mentioned, is to clone/backup that system. That way it's still in tact in the event you missed one. You can boot back to that system and deactivate the license. ILok is self explanatory, Waves uses Waves Central; you can either put your licenses into the cloud or put them on a thumb drive, Arturia has a similar thing as waves; but you have to deauthorize.

TrentWilliams
06-04-2017, 04:54 AM
Thanks for the insight everybody!

I always make a clone of my drive before doing anything drastic, so that's covered.

I've run into issues before by overlooking some applications, then I have to get in contact with support to request more licences.

I've put together an excel spreadsheet and am going through each application and noting serial number, licence type, whether i have up-to-date installer, their location, and whether it needs deactivation or not. I'll do this for plugins too - 95% of them will be fine, as covered by licence managers/dongles. But it's the Arturias, and the Klanghelm's of the plugin library that need deactivation as to not burn a licence seat by mistake.

Taking my time this time around - will let you know how it goes.