PDA

View Full Version : iPad latency

Mark Ziebarth
06-24-2016, 09:38 PM
Hi,
while working with the dock I recognized the iPads' display is always a little late, especially the transport display. I'm using an iPad mini 2. Is this latency WiFi related? Can it be fixed with the camera connection kit plus USB to Ethernet?
I would like to use the USB port on the back of the dock not only for charging but for communication as well. May that be possible one day?

Best

Mark

Mark Ziebarth
06-27-2016, 05:47 AM
Anyone? Am I the only Dock user?

Best Mark

seanob99
06-27-2016, 04:38 PM
I haven't noticed iPad latency but I also haven't looked for it. I don't think I've read that the cam connection to Ethernet thing works.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mark Ziebarth
06-27-2016, 10:46 PM
It's easy to see if you're working on a piece of music. Look at the bars and beats display on your computer screen and compare it to the one on the iPad. In my setup at around 110 bpm the iPad was nearly a quarter note to late.

tom_lowe
06-28-2016, 08:20 AM
It's easy to see if you're working on a piece of music. Look at the bars and beats display on your computer screen and compare it to the one on the iPad. In my setup at around 110 bpm the iPad was nearly a quarter note to late.

Use the new Lighting to USB3 camera connection kit with the Apple ethernet adapter. Fully supported by Avid and works great.

Kyle Splittgerber
06-28-2016, 12:20 PM
Hi,
while working with the dock I recognized the iPads' display is always a little late, especially the transport display. I'm using an iPad mini 2. Is this latency WiFi related? Can it be fixed with the camera connection kit plus USB to Ethernet?
I would like to use the USB port on the back of the dock not only for charging but for communication as well. May that be possible one day?

Best

Mark

Are you using 2.4 Ghz or 5Ghz wifi? If the former, I'm not surprised. If using 5Ghz and it's still sluggish then a good option is using the USB3 camera adapter + USB2 Ethernet adapter combo for wired connection to iPad.

Mark Ziebarth
06-29-2016, 01:04 AM
Hi, it's a 5 GHz wifi. But I assume from your answers that the wired connection introduces less latency. But the lightning port can't be used to power the iPad then. Is there a solution to have both?

colin.i
06-29-2016, 03:27 AM
hi guys!

I ve got a question for you.
Can I charge my Ipad with the new Lighting to USB3 camera connection kit & the Apple ethernet adapter?

Thanks

Kyle Splittgerber
06-29-2016, 12:44 PM
Hi, it's a 5 GHz wifi. But I assume from your answers that the wired connection introduces less latency. But the lightning port can't be used to power the iPad then. Is there a solution to have both?

Yes it can. The Camera Adapter has female lightning port to allow a lightning cable to be attached for charging. This cable can then be connected to USB port on back of Dock.

Kyle Splittgerber
06-29-2016, 12:44 PM
hi guys!

I ve got a question for you.
Can I charge my Ipad with the new Lighting to USB3 camera connection kit & the Apple ethernet adapter?

Thanks

Yes. See my last post.

Mark Ziebarth
06-29-2016, 01:06 PM
Yes it can. The Camera Adapter has female lightning port to allow a lightning cable to be attached for charging. This cable can then be connected to USB port on back of Dock.

Ok, Sounds great. Thanks Kyle, good to know.

Best

Mark

mrtomcat
06-29-2016, 04:32 PM
I have noticed that Ipad or Artist Mix latency is related to Input Buffers on PT...low buffer low latency, high buffer high latency.

Mark Ziebarth
06-29-2016, 09:40 PM
Really? I didn't explore this dependence so far. But I will take a closer look at it.
I'm happy to hear the iPad can have wired connection and be charged simultaneously via adapters. But I think it may be possible without adapters using the lightning to usb connection between iPad and Dock for both. Or is this impossible by design?

Mark

alk3997
07-01-2016, 08:13 AM
I'm using those two adapters now with the Dock and an Air 2. It works great and no latency issues. I leave the iPad in airplane mode while on the Dock.

The other thing you can do to cut down on latency is to have a dedicated network for just the Dock / S3 or Dock / Artist series. That way there is no other traffic on that network but Eucon data.

Andy

Kyle Splittgerber
07-01-2016, 02:59 PM
Really? I didn't explore this dependence so far. But I will take a closer look at it.
I'm happy to hear the iPad can have wired connection and be charged simultaneously via adapters. But I think it may be possible without adapters using the lightning to usb connection between iPad and Dock for both. Or is this impossible by design?

Mark

Impossible. You'll need both adapters as mentioned above.

Mark Ziebarth
07-02-2016, 08:23 AM
Hey Andy, thanks for the information. It sounds reasonable to have a dedicated network for the Avid controllers.

Mark Ziebarth
07-02-2016, 08:25 AM
Impossible. You'll need both adapters as mentioned above.

It's sad but I'm happy to have this information.

Best

Mark