PDA

View Full Version : Change region, but keep all automation?

TrentWilliams
04-10-2016, 12:29 PM
Hello,

I'm working on a simple atmosphere design at the minute. I have been asked to include a distant radio.

So I used a generic music track and automated: volume, clip gain, pan, Altiverb plugin, Binauralizer plugin, Speakerphone plugin, and two instances of a 1-Band EQ plugin. The result I achieved was really good, and am genuinely happy.

However, the client has asked to change the song.

Is there any way I can replace the region, but keep all of my automation?

Any help is appreciated,

- Trent

JFreak
04-11-2016, 04:20 AM
Does this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_ZbHYTJmRY) work for you?

joachim
04-11-2016, 05:00 AM
The clip gain might be coalesced to volume automation first, otherwise it will get lost in the replacement process.
Another way :
duplicate the original track, without the playlists (just to get the same plugins and the automation)
drag the new song from the clip list onto the duplicated track, align in time with the original (recheck the automation)
original track : copy special clip gain - move edit selection down to the duplicated track - paste clip gain.

The automation should be the same, otherwise : copy special all automation from the original track - repeat to fill on the duplicate track.
The original track thereafter: I would make it hide and inactive, the client might change his mind again ... .

amagras
04-11-2016, 05:07 AM
Interesting. I don't know for sure but having "automation follows edit" off might be of help...or not. Will try what J proposed to see if it works with non HD as one of the comments says it's only HD feature.

DJ Hellfire
04-18-2016, 02:12 PM
Make a duplicate of the track. Replace the audio, then paste all the automation back on the track.

yoerik roevens
04-25-2016, 04:15 AM
Interesting. I don't know for sure but having "automation follows edit" off might be of help...or not. Will try what J proposed to see if it works with non HD as one of the comments says it's only HD feature.

indeed, turn 'automation follows edit' off and drag/spot the new auto on top of the old one