PDA

View Full Version : monitor management

graveleye
03-04-2016, 10:36 AM
What are you guys using for monitor management? I finally find exactly what I need in the form of the SM Pro Audio M-Patch 4M, only to find they are pretty much out of business. Harmon apparently bought them out and that one isn't made anymore. I want something similar to it as it would make things much easier with the setup that I have. I have active Adam A7s, so I don't need a power amp for them, but I do want to hook up another set of passive monitors in my control room to a/b stuff which will require an amp. Something similar to the M-Patch 4M would be perfect from what I see to avoid having to do everything through the MOTU software + it has a talkback feature which is awesome. Ideas?

29CountsNY
03-04-2016, 10:42 AM
I just added a Crane Song Avocet and could not be happier!
It's not cheap but it was worth every penny.

EGS
03-04-2016, 10:53 AM
Pre Sonus Central Station is working great for me.

graveleye
03-04-2016, 11:05 AM
that Crane looks nice but that's way out of my price range and probably does a lot of things that I don't even know I need yet!! :D

I am looking at the Mackie Big Knob at the moment. I really wanted something that has the hi-z jacks on it, but I haven't seen much out there with them.

albee1952
03-04-2016, 04:08 PM
Another vote for the Central Station. Be aware that Presonus made a manufacturing change at some point and the older style with the 5 pin XLR connection for the power supply are no longer made(and that power supply is not available if it dies). The good news is that they are pretty dependable(still running the same one here for 6 years). The one I have that the PSU failed was hit with a power surge. I was able to buy a used one off craigslist for $200:D

Hannibal Lecter
03-04-2016, 11:02 PM
Antelope Audio Satori

brianjanthony
03-05-2016, 09:42 AM
I use the Dangerous Monitor ST.

I used to use the Presonus Central Station. I went thru 4 remotes with them and 2 units (still have one in storage if you want a cheapie but no remote).

The Dangerous has been going strong now for 3 years. That's about 1100 or so sessions. It never crackles, pops, hisses, or etc. Totally reliable. Now, I HATED the price tag. HATED it. But it's been totally solid so I'm glad I ponied up.

It gives me 3 sets of speakers plus a sub, assignable everything (volume/sub per speaker set for example), and I can monitor 4 sources (in my case, the mix going to each of my rooms). Talkback system is flawless. And those guys are ready and willing to answer any q.

graveleye
03-05-2016, 01:27 PM
I'm seeing some good stuff and getting some good ideas. Thanks for the replies.
My monitors have XLR plugs on them, so I would like to have them on whatever unit I buy but I'm seeing either/or, and what seems to have only XLR doesn't also have the talkback mic. On the ones that have the standard 1/4" plugs, do you think I would have any quality loss going from XLR to 1/4" to XLR?

Darryl Ramm
03-05-2016, 01:49 PM
I'm seeing some good stuff and getting some good ideas. Thanks for the replies.
My monitors have XLR plugs on them, so I would like to have them on whatever unit I buy but I'm seeing either/or, and what seems to have only XLR doesn't also have the talkback mic. On the ones that have the standard 1/4" plugs, do you think I would have any quality loss going from XLR to 1/4" to XLR?

Why do you care about the output connector? It's going to be XLR or 1/4" TRS or maybe D-sub and you just use whatever cable is appropriate to get to your monitors. Lower-end manufactures are certainly going to save space and money and more likely to use TRS sockets. Worse case it costs you a couple of dollars for an XLR to TRS adapter or better still to cut off the XLR connector on one end of a cable and replace it with a 1/4" TRS. This should not be anywhere near the top of what you are worrying about in a monitor control system... there are usually lots and lots of things to think about there that are worth worrying about.

Grace m905 would be my pick... but I suspect outside your price range (but they do have a lower cost analog only version now).

graveleye
03-05-2016, 02:11 PM
I care because in the old days it did matter if you were going from one type plug to another and if you used adapters, which I don't plan to, it made it worse. That's why.

Darryl Ramm
03-05-2016, 02:21 PM
Not sure exactly what that problem would be for balanced output monitors, but I guess since we are not living in the old days it is not really relevant anymore. Luckily folk have been making XLR to TRS balanced cables since both connector types existed... and they won't cause any issues with any interfaces, monitors or monitor controller system (that all use appropriate proper balanced connections).

Ui/UX, noise floor, mute control features, number of inputs including aux/misc inputs, onboard DAC, talkback features, how many monitors sets can be switched, LFE/subwoofer management, metering/support for/ease of SPL calibration, ... all more important things to worry about.

Hannibal Lecter
03-05-2016, 10:10 PM
Like what Darryl said, interface connection is not a big deal with today's technology. There are arrays of adapter for few dollars as solution.

My output from my interface/converter is DB25 to male TRS. I use a TRS to male XLR adapter to hook up my insertion hardware inserts. It works but looks funky. Better than hacking up the DB25 which I paid good money, and they're not cheap.

A good monitor control that offers wide options is far more important. I would like to step up to an Avocet. I chose the Antelope Satori for it's price point, routing flexibility, and for multiple speaker distribution. I hope for this gear to last long. It's been one year and rock solid!

EGS
03-06-2016, 07:44 AM
I care because in the old days it did matter if you were going from one type plug to another and if you used adapters, which I don't plan to, it made it worse. That's why.It's just a cord - no change in signal quality - just a different connector:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BPBQXM10

Southsidemusic
03-06-2016, 08:46 AM
We use Grace m905 and couldn't be more satisfied.

Feel the Presonus are basic stuff and so is the Mackie Big Knob BUT if there is budget constraints the central station or Big Knob will do for a home based recording suite.

I know the 905 is about $3000 but it is Magical sounding :-) Worth every penny IMHO of course. Sois the Avocet of course.

EGS
03-06-2016, 02:59 PM
...Feel the Presonus are basic stuff ...Have you ever used the Presonus Central Station? What issue do you have with it? We've used one for several years - sounds/works great.

Southsidemusic
03-06-2016, 03:06 PM
Have you ever used the Presonus Central Station? What issue do you have with it? We've used one for several years - sounds/works great.

Used it, owned one and sold it! It all depends on what you like as with all things.

dwaynedelario
03-06-2016, 10:31 PM
The new Slate Control looks to be very interesting and extremely flexible. That's if it ever comes out... Lots of folks seem to be very happy with the Avocet/Grace/Dangerous.

When I started my first bedroom studio in 2005, I had the Mackie Big Knob and it served me well in terms of price point and features, but if you can cough up the dough for something better, DO IT. The veil it folds over the most important part of your chain is quite noticeable! It's totally useable, don't get me wrong, but it's also extremely easy to beat sound-wise. Problem being, to get similar functionality in a good sounding unit means spending a lot of cash.

dwaynedelario
03-06-2016, 10:33 PM
the central station or Big Knob will do for a ho e based recording suite.

Totally. I know a lot of hoes that use the big knob. :p

Southsidemusic
03-07-2016, 05:18 AM
:D:D:D

Post of the month right there :p

The "m" character just left the keyboard hehe

Bookerv12
03-07-2016, 05:33 AM
I do a lot of tech support for people with pretty bad ass studios and they use the Central Station.
Of the lower priced controllers, it is the most neutral sounding with the best features.
Having said that, most people ended up having weird problems with the remote: Stereo image out of whack, crackling, .....
Just don't get the remote, and it's a pretty great machine.

albee1952
03-07-2016, 09:50 AM
I do a lot of tech support for people with pretty bad ass studios and they use the Central Station.
Of the lower priced controllers, it is the most neutral sounding with the best features.
Having said that, most people ended up having weird problems with the remote: Stereo image out of whack, crackling, .....
Just don't get the remote, and it's a pretty great machine.

Its mostly a passive device so it should induce no coloration(except for the digital inputs). Re the shifting image, yes, but it happens at the very bottom of the volume travel where its softer than I ever listen(image moves right) and its never an issue at any normal volume. My own has been flawless for 6 years+. The B-room CS took a power surge that cooked the PSU. Grabbed a used unit off craigslist and its working fine. Talkback button went really scratchy, but I no longer depend on that and now use 3 AUX tracks with room mics and the free Muteomatic plugin so TB is automatic:-) Would I like something "better"?. You bet, but I have other things I need that money for:o

brianjanthony
03-07-2016, 12:59 PM
I have a Central Station in a box in storage if anyone's interested. Even if for future parts.

It wasn't a sound issue for me. I definitely needed a talkback solution that spread to my rooms as well. It was a good choice at the time. I didn't want to cough up money for the Dangerous. But the CS was becoming a nightmare to fix remote wise. When Presonus said they couldn't sell me one anymore, I bailed.

For anyone looking at the Presonus, it's not terrible. I probably logged 3000 sessions on em. The remotes just wear out. And I couldn't live without the remote. The Dangerous hasn't crackled, etc for 2 or 3 years. Beyond solid.

Bookerv12
03-12-2016, 05:53 AM
It seems any time Presonus has a great product, they stop support or won't sell you a new power supply.
Really stupid.
Some years ago, we got a modded 8 channel pre from them that was fantastic.
Power supply blew up. They would neither fix it nor get us a new one.
I will never buy anything from them because of it.

(Still like the CS's though)