PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading from Pro Tools 9

rockridge
11-28-2015, 03:30 AM
It's time for me, but what version of 10?
I know it has to be above 10.3.5, but which version is generally considered to be the most solid?

And what about 11 or 12?
Don't know if I should get my feet wet with 11, or go straight to the bleeding edge?

The Weed
11-28-2015, 06:28 AM
If you upgrade you get a bundle license of 10/11/12 so you can always revert to 10 or do a co-install of 10/12 - read how to do that correctly - if you have some RTAS plug-ins that haven't been updated to AAX64.

BUT - always have a backup plan. Personally I use Macrium Reflect 6 Free to image my operating system drive before any update/upgrade/uninstall/install so I can restore back if something goes south.

Cheers,

rockridge
11-28-2015, 09:33 AM
Yeah, it was a pretty convoluted process.
Now I'm just waiting for the download to appear in my account.

I hate to admit it, but I never registered with iLok.com.
Bought mine, in the box, with the license already installed.

So, I registered and I took care of all that.
Then went on to the Avid store, and plunked down my $199.

But what I was really asking was what version of 10 do you like the best and is it 11 for real solid use, or 12?

The Weed
11-28-2015, 09:51 AM
Never used 10, went to 11 from 8 and then 12 to 12.3.1. The features in 12 are nice, especially, for me, disk cache.

Cheers,

ramonetl
11-28-2015, 11:12 AM
It's time for me, but what version of 10?
I know it has to be above 10.3.5, but which version is generally considered to be the most solid?

And what about 11 or 12?
Don't know if I should get my feet wet with 11, or go straight to the bleeding edge?

Since you paid for it I would go right to PT12. The VCA faders alone is worth it to me. Most folks I know skipped 10 and went to 11 as I did, but since you have all 3 just go current. only thing I am not sure is if that locks you in at the 199 yearly or if you still qualify for the 99 which is what I did. Be sure to check your application manager for the update. Seems its found there and not in your download list...

rockridge
11-28-2015, 11:37 AM
No takers on versions... not sure what that means.
Maybe it just depends.

I've never used the manager... never felt the need.
I'm more concerned with stability then with staying current.

rockridge
11-28-2015, 12:22 PM
Ok, I've just finished downloading a pile of stuff.
I noticed there's a 12.3.1 T version.

What in the world is that?

rockridge
11-28-2015, 12:41 PM
T stands for "temporary" ... that's scary.

rockridge
11-28-2015, 01:26 PM
I've got 10.3.10 installed on a test machine.
Loads really fast, I'm impressed!

I'm in the process of loading 11.3.2.
Not sure about going with 12...

ramonetl
11-28-2015, 02:00 PM
I upgraded from 11 to 12 no issues. I didnt see a T next to mine. I think they may be seeding something. There is another post out there. I would just go right to 12.

rockridge
11-28-2015, 02:11 PM
Yeah, you're right.
I'll install 12.

zedhed
11-28-2015, 02:24 PM
The performance you get out of 10 11 or 12 will largely depend on the computer you're intending to run it on.

rockridge
11-28-2015, 02:40 PM
Right...

The VCA's are cool.
They're supposed to emulate the hardware found on mixers?

ramonetl
11-28-2015, 08:43 PM
Right...

The VCA's are cool.
They're supposed to emulate the hardware found on mixers?

I dont know so much emulate the hardware as perhaps a feature. I have to say that I have added VCAs to every project I have now and my template. Its super useful. Think of it as an attenuator for your specified group or a mini master fader. Super useful for groups like drums or guitars to control the main levels. I love them and it was this that I mostly upgraded for.

rockridge
11-29-2015, 04:02 AM
From what I've heard, besides grouping, which can be done other ways, VCA masters have other advantages.

For example, if you have a guitar audio track sent to an aux with an amp sim, controlling levels with a VCA won't effect the sound the way raising or lowering an audio fader will.

I think I've got that right??

rockridge
11-29-2015, 03:02 PM
After going back and forth between 11 and 12 a couple of times, I'm starting to think that 12 may be more trouble than it's worth. At least for now.
Despite the inclusion of VCA masters to native.

From what I'm reading here about noise bursts and the control-freakish behavior with the application manager, it's got me concerned.
12 seems to be going online continuously, for who knows what. Even if you pull the internet, it may still make the system sluggish trying to hook up.

I had one strange occurrence, after reinstalling 12, where the iLok threw out a warning claiming the clock on the computer had been changed (it wasn't) and it needed to be re-sync? Possible loss of licenses it warned!

The jury's out... my test machine is exhausted!

Mattian
12-02-2015, 05:35 AM
news about this? which version of os and pt are you using successfully?

rockridge
12-02-2015, 06:12 PM
I've decided to switch between two drives, one with 12, one with 11.
These are two separate drives, not a single drive partitioned.

I've been spending the last couple of days going through the forums for 11, then for 12. Starting with the first page and thumbing through, skimming the threads.

It's funny, but I see a very consistent pattern. People want updates, people are upset with updates. Rebels predict the demise of Avid. Mod's chime in and claim "All is well". Fix is right around the corner...

But it did help solve one issue, that was the error I had with the iLok clock.
Turns out the battery on my motherboard was totally dead.

Thanks for the heads up Jack.

rockridge
12-04-2015, 05:44 AM
Soooo, my advice with upgrading is to get onto iLok.com first, and make sure of your status with Avid products.
Do that before you make any purchases through the Avid Store, because once you start the process, it's basically automated.

All in all, my experience went smoothly.