PDA

View Full Version : Assigning multiple tracks to a bus

DonaldM
11-06-2015, 10:51 AM
I've searched the manual every way I can think of for this. If my memory was better, I wouldn't have to search at all. I want to assign the output of a group of selected tracks to a specific bus (in this case an Aux track for a submix). I selected all the tracks I wanted to send to the submix. I thought by hitting ALT-SHIFT and then clicking on the Aux Bus for the submix Bus that ALL the selected tracks would have their outputs changed to route to the Aux track. But when I do that only the one track I clicked on does. I've tried CTRL-SHIFT ALT-CTRL-SHIFT...none of it works. What's the magic combination for this shortcut. Its tedious doing it one track at a time.

I also recall a similar operation where you assign outputs in sequence. So for example, I want to set up 8 MIDI tracks, each assigned to MIDI out 1-8 respectively for a particular VI...Transfuser say. I thought CTRL-ALT-SHIFT then click on the first MIDI out and select and all the other selected MIDI tracks would adjust their outputs in sequence. But again it only does this first one. Clearly my memory is bad and for the life of me I can NOT find it in the manual. I know its gotta be in there, but no search term I use brings it up. Can someone just tell me the magic combo please? Thanks

DonaldM
11-06-2015, 04:09 PM
Anyone?

Carl Kolchak
11-06-2015, 05:52 PM
You're using the correct key combos :

Alt + Shift = apply to all selected

Ctrl + Alt + Shift = cascade selected inputs / outputs

From your description, it sounds like you're selecting a bunch of tracks, and then simply clicking on the Aux track you want to send them to (in conjunction with the Alt + Shift combo).

What you actually need to do is ; go to the output panel of one of the selected tracks (whilst holding down the Alt + Shift keys), and select the bus / Aux track that you want to route them all too.

Likewise with the MIDI track, though as you're trying to sequentially cascade their output, you'd need to select the first track of the group you wish to modify, whilst using the Ctrl + Alt + Shift combo.

(I'm deducing you're on a Windows machine from your post, but if you're on a Mac, swap Ctrl for Command / Apple / Pomme)

If that still isn't working for you, I'd suggest trashing prefs etc.

DonaldM
11-06-2015, 06:10 PM
Carl, No, I was selecting from the output TO the aux track, not the other way round. And I was using Alt-Shift. Like wise for the MIDI cascade selection. I selected 5 MIDI tracks and then used ALT-CTRL-Shift on the first MIDI track output. Clearly something isn't working.

I really don't want to do all that trash prefs crap again....its a nuisance and a half! Ugh!

Thanks for the explanations!

joachim
11-07-2015, 09:09 AM
Are you damn sure, that you press and hold Alt+Shift, then click on the output path selector, then on the correct bus in the menue (correct),
or
click on the output path selector and then press and hold Alt+Shift and then choose the proper bus from the menu (wrong)
?
Edit : doing it the second way results in only that track changing its output ... .

albee1952
11-07-2015, 12:06 PM
The tracks all need to be highlighted(the track names in white). Then the Shift-alt will make the change to all selected(it works here anyway):o

DonaldM
11-07-2015, 02:04 PM
Are you damn sure, that you press and hold Alt+Shift, then click on the output path selector, then on the correct bus in the menue (correct),
or
click on the output path selector and then press and hold Alt+Shift and then choose the proper bus from the menu (wrong)
?
Edit : doing it the second way results in only that track changing its output ... .

Yes, I'm doing it the first way. Alt+Shift then the output path select and then the bus. But it still only goes to the one track (the one I'm clicking on), even though I've selected a few tracks. Clearly I've got some issue here. I'll have to keep playing with it...Thanks for all the help guys!

DonaldM
11-07-2015, 03:13 PM
Okay, I got it sorted out. I guess I was first clicking on the output then alt+shift. I really thought I was doing it the other way round. Oh well...

Thanks!