PDA

View Full Version : "add meter changes" shorcut ?

cmbourget
10-25-2015, 09:09 AM
Someone knows the shorcut for the function: "add meter changes" (instead of clicking on the "+")? PC Pro tools HD-12 NO. Thank you.

joachim
10-25-2015, 10:36 AM
Right-Click - Insert - Meter ? (insertion in a clip at desired position)

cmbourget
10-25-2015, 11:45 AM
Thank you, but I want a keyboard shortcut. This is more efficient.

cmbourget
10-25-2015, 12:56 PM
Ok, the shortest is: Cmd + clic.

joachim
10-25-2015, 02:04 PM
...I want a keyboard shortcut.
Ok, then you might say so directly in your first post.

The shortest for me would be:
assign the command from the menu "Event - Time Operations - Change Meter..." to a selfmade shortcut via Autohotkey;
and assign that new shortcut to a button of an Expertkeys EK128 (or any other additional keyboard of that kind) : a single button press to fire that command.

cmbourget
10-25-2015, 03:11 PM
Ok, then you might say so directly in your first post.

The shortest for me would be:
assign the command from the menu "Event - Time Operations - Change Meter..." to a selfmade shortcut via Autohotkey;
and assign that new shortcut to a button of an Expertkeys EK128 (or any other additional keyboard of that kind) : a single button press to fire that command.

I could not say what I did not know, Joachim. I looked after myself. Maintaining our good mood.

I know nothing of Autohotkey. From easy programming? Where is the best information on this?

joachim
10-26-2015, 02:11 AM
http://www.autohotkey.com/
Download Autohotkey and install it.

Open the Windows Text Editor, copy paste those 5 lines :
Menu, tray, tip, PT personal Shortcuts
#CommentFlag //
// Event, Time Operations , Change Meter... = Ctrl Shift T
^+t::
WinMenuSelectItem, Pro Tools, , Event, Time Operations, Change Meter...
return

Save that document as, maybe, "PTShortcuts.ahk". The ending .ahk is of importance.
Run this script.
Now Ctrl Shift T will perform the command.

I have a lot of those PT menu commands without an official shortcut assigned to own shortcuts via Autohotkey.
With a programmable keyboard, those commands are now a single button press operation, a workflow revolution for me (with the help of moderator Shan, the king of Autohotkey :-) ).

cmbourget
10-26-2015, 05:39 AM
Fantastic. I will use this in the coming days. I ignored this possibility. Joachim, thank you for your time, especially for details.

joachim
10-26-2015, 06:12 AM
It is really a workflow enhancer, but it requires work and has limitations :

What are the free shortcuts, that PT does not use, so they can be used by Autohotkey ? I spend 2 days creating an Excel sheet and searching the Ref Guide and the Shortcuts Guide for all already used shortcuts. An Excel sheet with a list of all possible shortcuts in general and then filled with the found existing PT shortcuts.

PT unfortunately does not accept shortcuts made with Autohotkey, that include Alt or Start (or AltGraphics). Selfmade shortcuts are therefore restricted to Ctrl , Shift or Ctrl Shift.

One has to make his own "Personal Shortcuts Guide" to keep track of the selfmade ones.

The "finger-friendly" shortcuts (two fingers of one hand, but they do not need to spread unnaturally wide) are of course already used by PT : one has to live with the rest.
But there are nice unused "two-hands-but-only-1-or-2-fingers-of-each-hand" shortcuts left, like those ones, that I use:
// Options, Edit Window Scrolling, No Scrolling = Shift Arrow Left
+Left::
WinMenuSelectItem, Pro Tools, , Options, Edit Window Scrolling, No Scrolling
return
// Options, Edit Window Scrolling, Continuous = Shift Arrow Right
+Right::
WinMenuSelectItem, Pro Tools, , Options, Edit Window Scrolling, Continuous
return
// Options, Edit Window Scrolling, After Playback = Shift Arrow Up
+Up::
WinMenuSelectItem, Pro Tools, , Options, Edit Window Scrolling, After Playback
return
// Options, Edit Window Scrolling, Page = Shift Arrow Down
+Down::
WinMenuSelectItem, Pro Tools, , Options, Edit Window Scrolling, Page
return
// Options, Solo Mode, Latch = Ctrl Shift Arrow Left
^+Left::
WinMenuSelectItem, Pro Tools, , Options, Solo Mode, Latch
return
// Options, Solo Mode, X-OR (Cancels Previous Solo) = Ctrl Shift Arrow Right
^+Right::
WinMenuSelectItem, Pro Tools, , Options, Solo Mode, X-OR (Cancels Previous Solo)
return

Programming an additional "buttons-only" keyboard requires also documentation and work, the Expertkeys software is not really good, but does the job.

The good thing though is : one can use "finger-unfriendly" shortcuts with Autohotkey and assign that one to a button of that keyboard -> instant single key commands.

The same applies to PT shortcuts, that are by itself "finger-unfriendly", like "Alt Start Ctrl Shift L" : a one time work, to put those on the "button-only"-keyboard.

It took weeks to define/refine all this, but I will never go back :-).

cmbourget
10-26-2015, 06:52 AM
I see, it's a bit complicated. With Cubase or Nuendo, it takes a moment! But I returned to Pro Tools for recording purposes and mixing, and even MIDI (it is not everything but it does very well done). So I have to cross this step. Thank you for your information.

cmbourget
10-26-2015, 07:06 AM
My English is not so good to understand the manual. I place it where PTShortcuts.ahk file? In which directory?

cmbourget
10-26-2015, 07:26 AM
Joachim, I realize that my MC TRANSPORT, with EuCon 3 function accepts programming. A key, and I have my change. It's easier for me.

joachim
10-26-2015, 08:56 AM
I place it where PTShortcuts.ahk file? In which directory?
Any directory, it does not matter.
My script is in "D:\PT Templates Presets IO Stuff\Autohotkey\", so i can find it again. :-)

joachim
10-26-2015, 09:05 AM
Joachim, I realize that my MC TRANSPORT, with EuCon 3 function accepts programming. A key, and I have my change. It's easier for me.
MC Transport, cool, but only 6 programmable buttons. I use already 69 buttons on my additional keyboard, all single buttons to fire a command or a sequence of commands like "select the next right clip and snap it to the left to the previous clip".
If you need more than 6 programmable buttons, you might consider this : http://xkeys.com/XkeysKeyboards/index.php
I do not know about it, it may work even without Autohotkey, since it can record makros.