PDA

View Full Version : PT 12 Track Presets

jkeefauver
10-04-2015, 04:50 AM
This isn't new, been around for some time but I'm just getting around to implementing it. Figured I would reiterate the steps for anyone in the same boat. If you don't understand what this is about, search up a video on PT track presets and it will all become apparent. Anyhow, here's how I did it in 12 and I'm sure it works this way in 11 as well. 10 and before have different instructions but I'm sure they are pretty easy to find.

SOLVED: The actual track presets have to be in subfolders under the "Track Presets" folder. If they are in the root, they don't show up. So, for anyone looking for the quick and dirty steps for this for PT12 (and likely 11 too):

1. Create a Track Presets (plural) folder under Documents / Pro Tools
2. Create your track preset sessions, select the tracks you want to have as part of the preset and Export them as a session to the folder you just created. HOWEVER, you need to put them in logical subfolders like maybe 2Bus, Vox, Cue, etc.....whatever.
3. Once saved, go to explorer or whatever it's called in Mac-land and change the file suffix from .PTX to .PTXT making it a template.
4. Now when you use the new track dialog, you'll see your subfolders listed under the track type drop-down and you can select any of your self-created presets from there.

:cool:

musicman691
10-04-2015, 07:32 AM
This isn't new, been around for some time but I'm just getting around to implementing it. Figured I would reiterate the steps for anyone in the same boat. If you don't understand what this is about, search up a video on PT track presets and it will all become apparent. Anyhow, here's how I did it in 12 and I'm sure it works this way in 11 as well. 10 and before have different instructions but I'm sure they are pretty easy to find.

SOLVED: The actual track presets have to be in subfolders under the "Track Presets" folder. If they are in the root, they don't show up. So, for anyone looking for the quick and dirty steps for this for PT12 (and likely 11 too):

2. Create your track preset sessions, select the tracks you want to have as part of the preset and Export them as a session to the folder you just created. HOWEVER, you need to put them in logical subfolders like maybe 2Bus, Vox, Cue, etc.....whatever.
3. Once saved, go to explorer or whatever it's called in Mac-land and change the file suffix from .PTX to .PTXT making it a template.
4. Now when you use the new track dialog, you'll see your subfolders listed under the track type drop-down and you can select any of your self-created presets from there.

You can save a step when you do the export and that's to change the file extension right there; been doing that on my iMac. Do note that you may have to restart PT to see the new presets.

guitardom
10-04-2015, 08:00 AM

Trasher in my signature will create the main folder along with quite a few categorically layer out sub folders.

jkeefauver
10-05-2015, 03:37 AM
Thanks for the info guys. Good stuff.

Oliver M
10-05-2015, 06:45 AM

Or use the AppleScript I wrote, thats Mac only of course. ;-)

jimreeves
10-16-2015, 10:06 AM
I figured out the PC/MAC difference. Create the "Track Presets" folder in the: User/Your Username/Documents/Pro Tools/ Track Presets. Not in the Programs(x86)/Avid/ Pro Tools folder.:-)

YYR123
10-16-2015, 10:19 AM
Would like to see this implemented by Avid please!!

Pls put this up front for all to use w/o work arounds

JFreak
12-09-2015, 06:32 AM
This was possible in PT11 as well. I wonder why it isn't an official feature yet. Especially as everyone at Avid must know we're using it already.

12.4 perhaps? Not holding my breath as I've been using this for ages.

musicman691
12-09-2015, 12:07 PM
This was possible in PT11 as well. I wonder why it isn't an official feature yet. Especially as everyone at Avid must know we're using it already.

12.4 perhaps? Not holding my breath as I've been using this for ages.
You're kidding - PT12 doesn't officially have this? You still have to do the workaround?

YYR123
12-09-2015, 12:08 PM
I know it's ludicrous.... proTools 10 was the first version that I believe we could do this track preset with

musicman691
12-09-2015, 12:32 PM
I know it's ludicrous.... proTools 10 was the first version that I believe we could do this track preset with
Wasn't it in some low-rent version of PT10 that had this that never made it to the big leagues?

YYR123
12-09-2015, 01:51 PM
Wasn't it in some low-rent version......

Low rent ? Are we talking about my microphone locker? Hahah

Yeah I think that's where it first showed up.....express I believe

JFreak
12-09-2015, 09:38 PM
You're kidding - PT12 doesn't officially have this? You still have to do the workaround?

Actually I dont know, have to test on a "virgin" system. I'm so used to some things I automatically do...

musicman691
12-10-2015, 04:35 AM
Actually I dont know, have to test on a "virgin" system. I'm so used to some things I automatically do...
Don't we all ;)

YYR123
12-10-2015, 12:34 PM
Don't we all ;)
i have an idea....let's put this on ideascale.

then Avid management/eng departments will see it...and make the changes and we should see it in 12.4..........................................

.................................................. ......right.

musicman691
12-11-2015, 05:48 AM
i have an idea....let's put this on ideascale.

then Avid management/eng departments will see it...and make the changes and we should see it in 12.4..........................................

.................................................. ......right.
Damn - you almost made me do a spit take with my Earl Grey tea (hot) :-)

huzzam
12-26-2015, 08:23 PM

Just FYI, if you've selected a different location for your PT library in the preferences, you have to put the Track Presets folder inside there, not in Documents/Pro Tools

cool tip! thanks
~peter in istanbul

mortensign
03-18-2016, 11:53 AM
I have bee trying this... I can see my username/protools/presets/folders
I can even see what I've saved, but I get this RIDICULOUS message that says:

"The document could not be opened because it was created with a newer version of Pro Tools."

Say WHATTTTTT????!!!!!???!!!!

MA

jeff5x0
04-10-2016, 09:35 AM
I've created my own track preset bundle for Pro Tools 12 that I'm sharing with anyone who wants it. Totally free, no sign ups. It may or may not be helpful to you but I put quite a bit of time on it so you're welcome to it if you want it. You can get it here: http://www.missionmusician.com/pro-tools-track-presets/

thierryhenry
04-28-2016, 03:11 PM
Pro Tools is amazing and I love it but this track preset situation is a bit crazy.

YYR123
04-28-2016, 03:22 PM
Ridiculous

Hellan
07-06-2016, 12:32 AM
This doesn't work for me!??!

I'm on PT 12.5.1
Windows 10 Pro x64

I've created the folder "Track Presets" in "User/my name/Protools" - also tried "the creating subfolders"-method.

They didn't show up before restarting protools, and they don't show up after. I've followed ALL the youtube tutorials on this, and I've followed the tips in this thread - still no success. They just DON'T show up in "create new track"-window.

Anyone has a possible solution I might have missed out?? :confused:

unkJE
07-07-2016, 07:06 PM
This doesn't work for me!??!

I'm on PT 12.5.1
Windows 10 Pro x64

I've created the folder "Track Presets" in "User/my name/Protools" - also tried "the creating subfolders"-method.

They didn't show up before restarting protools, and they don't show up after. I've followed ALL the youtube tutorials on this, and I've followed the tips in this thread - still no success. They just DON'T show up in "create new track"-window.

Anyone has a possible solution I might have missed out?? :confused:

I'm assuming you meant:

System Drive\Users\User Name\Documents\Pro Tools\Track Presets\ sub-Folders within Track Presets Folder

I recommend the easy way: Trasher 12
http://www.pro-tools-pc.com/support/trasher/

Oliver M
07-17-2016, 06:32 PM
I'm assuming you meant:

System Drive\Users\User Name\Documents\Pro Tools\Track Presets\ sub-Folders within Track Presets Folder

I recommend the easy way: Trasher 12
http://www.pro-tools-pc.com/support/trasher/

I just love it (NOT) when you give users an advice or help them and they do not even reply nor thank you, makes you wonder why you should continue to help...

musicman691
07-18-2016, 09:35 AM
I just love it (NOT) when you give users an advice or help them and they do not even reply nor thank you, makes you wonder why you should continue to help...
I used to think this way but I've learned to give people the benefit of the doubt when they don't respond back. Some people don't realize they can have email notifications for when a post is replied to; some people that do don't check their isp's Spam folder (oftentimes DUC email notifications end up in mine). Sadly there are some that are what I call hit-and-run or one-post-wonders. They join, post once asking for help and you never see them again.

What really irks me about people not responding is you don't know if what advice you gave them worked or not. It may work for the poster giving advice and others but because of different system configurations it may not work for everyone. That addition to the collective knowledgebase would be helpful. Who knows how many times I've read of people having certain problems but on my system I don't have those issues.

lesbrunn
04-22-2017, 03:30 PM
Pro Tools is amazing and I love it but this track preset situation is a bit crazy.

Not crazy at all. I discovered track presets not too long ago, and I wonder how I managed all these years without them. I've always had templates, but I was importing tracks and groups of tracks from sessions that I'd created for that purpose. Time-consuming sometimes, because the import session data GUI (even though it's very useful) is clumsy. Track presets are unbelievably quick and simple once you've understood how the thing works. :cool:

musicman691
04-22-2017, 05:30 PM
Not crazy at all. I discovered track presets not too long ago, and I wonder how I managed all these years without them. I've always had templates, but I was importing tracks and groups of tracks from sessions that I'd created for that purpose. Time-consuming sometimes, because the import session data GUI (even though it's very useful) is clumsy. Track presets are unbelievably quick and simple once you've understood how the thing works. :cool:
PT is clumsy this way but my other daw (Digital Performer 9.02) has a real simple solution: clippings. These can be anything from a group of plugins that can be inserted on a track with their setting in place to groups of tracks and their concomitant routings. For instance I have one that has BFD3 (set to output to separate tracks) on one of DP's instrument tracks, the MIDI track to feed BFD3, and the aux and audio tracks to receive each of the outputs from BFD3 along with the bussing and sends I use. With this I can drag and drop into a piece the 20 or so tracks I need for drums (I like to treat BFD's drums like I would a real drum kit). Very convenient.

jaminjamesp
05-15-2017, 10:58 AM
Does anyone know a trick to get track presets to show up when you select the "new track" option when clicking on a send? Was pretty dissapointed to see they weren't showing up in this new track menu as well.

albee1952
05-15-2017, 03:08 PM
Does anyone know a trick to get track presets to show up when you select the "new track" option when clicking on a send? Was pretty dissapointed to see they weren't showing up in this new track menu as well.

Watch youtube for some tutorials. Seeing it done beats the heck out of trying to explain here:o

musicman691
05-16-2017, 04:19 AM
Watch youtube for some tutorials. Seeing it done beats the heck out of trying to explain here:o
He's not asking about using the new track dialog but can track presets be called up from right clicking on a send slot? If there's a way to do that I don't know it.

albee1952
05-16-2017, 06:00 PM
He's not asking about using the new track dialog but can track presets be called up from right clicking on a send slot? If there's a way to do that I don't know it.
2 different functions. You can create a send that includes a new track, but it will only select audio or aux as far as I know. Maybe the best solution would be to create session templates that include everything you usually need.

musicman691
05-17-2017, 04:05 AM
2 different functions. You can create a send that includes a new track, but it will only select audio or aux as far as I know. Maybe the best solution would be to create session templates that include everything you usually need.
I know they're two different things but you are missing what the op wants - he wants to be able to call up the same track presets one creates using the 'track preset hack' when creating a track from a send. Can't do that.

albee1952
05-17-2017, 08:26 AM
I know they're two different things but you are missing what the op wants - he wants to be able to call up the same track presets one creates using the 'track preset hack' when creating a track from a send. Can't do that.

Indeed, this can't be done. I was offering alternatives:o

djh108
01-19-2018, 01:53 PM
I'm just getting around to implementing this in Pro Tools 12 but am hitting an issue when making instrument tracks. The best example of the issue is:

I've got a preset for Kontakt named Kontakt. If I create more than one instance of this track preset, the MIDI for every additional instance gets directed to the first instance of Kontakt. I can't even redirect the MIDI to its own track. It appears as an option in the dropdown, but I can't select it.

For example:
1. I create 2 "Kontakt" tracks from my preset (either at the same time or at separate times). I end up with 2 instances, Kontakt and Kontakt.1.
2. I load bass in the first and piano in the second (or whatever voice, just using these to illustrate the point).
3. The first track, "Kontakt", with bass loaded on it, works as expected. The MIDI output to that track is directed to the instance of Kontakt on that same track. So, when that track is selected, my MIDI controlle or any midi recorded to the track trigger the bass "Kontakt" instrument track.
4. However, the second instance "Kontakt.1" with the piano sounds loaded does not work correctly. The MIDI output is NOT directed to the the piano, rather it is directed to the FIRST instance on the track. So, no piano, all MIDI is routed to the first instance above.
5. Plus, I cannot select the correct output. It shows as an option inthe MIDI output dropdown, but when I select it, nothing happens. It remains directed to the other track.

Anyone run into this and know how to deal with it?

musicman691
01-19-2018, 02:48 PM
I'm just getting around to implementing this in Pro Tools 12 but am hitting an issue when making instrument tracks. The best example of the issue is:

I've got a preset for Kontakt named Kontakt. If I create more than one instance of this track preset, the MIDI for every additional instance gets directed to the first instance of Kontakt. I can't even redirect the MIDI to its own track. It appears as an option in the dropdown, but I can't select it.

For example:
1. I create 2 "Kontakt" tracks from my preset (either at the same time or at separate times). I end up with 2 instances, Kontakt and Kontakt.1.
2. I load bass in the first and piano in the second (or whatever voice, just using these to illustrate the point).
3. The first track, "Kontakt", with bass loaded on it, works as expected. The MIDI output to that track is directed to the instance of Kontakt on that same track. So, when that track is selected, my MIDI controlle or any midi recorded to the track trigger the bass "Kontakt" instrument track.
4. However, the second instance "Kontakt.1" with the piano sounds loaded does not work correctly. The MIDI output is NOT directed to the the piano, rather it is directed to the FIRST instance on the track. So, no piano, all MIDI is routed to the first instance above.
5. Plus, I cannot select the correct output. It shows as an option inthe MIDI output dropdown, but when I select it, nothing happens. It remains directed to the other track.

Anyone run into this and know how to deal with it?
That Kontakt.1 track looks like a duplicate. When you say you created the tracks - did you use your preset twice, did you put the numeral '2' in the track creation window or did you right click on the track and select 'duplicate'? My guess is you did the latter.

djh108
01-20-2018, 09:13 AM
Thanks for the response - to answer your question: no, it was not created using the right click duplicate function. In fact, I’ve tried both entering “the numeral 2” in the new track dialogue, and using the new track dialogue (not duplicate track) twice. In other words,
creste new track with preset, but only 1 instance, then starting over and creating another single instance.

But even if I had duplicated the track, I should still be able to reassign the midi output. That’s the weirdest part, that I can’t reassign the output. While
I’ve definitely had my share of sessions where the midi output gets jumbled up and incorrectly routed, but I can’t remeber a time when I’ve been unable to change the output.

Things I’m going to try next:
- making sure it’s not just a kontakt only issue (This was the first preset I tried)
- trying to load an actual sound bank for the preset (this is an empty instance of kontakt)
- bang my head against the wall because at least that yields a predictable result

I’m all ears if there’s any wisdom out there I’m unaware of. This voodoo is not working for me. Show me the way.

Drew Mazurek
01-20-2018, 09:16 AM
Schedule is super tight right now, I'll tell you how to do this in a few days.

YYR123
01-20-2018, 10:19 AM

This!

albee1952
01-20-2018, 10:21 AM
If using several Kontact plugins is something you do a lot, I would create a track preset that includes multiple tracks with Kontact on each. A "Track Preset" can actually be an entire session's worth of tracks. Doing this would allow you to have your midi assignments already laid out. I have several Instrument Track presets with my "go to" instruments already loaded and midi inputs set to the intended controller(I have 3 keyboards):o

djh108
01-20-2018, 02:23 PM
Thanks everyone!

Schedule is super tight right now, I'll tell you how to do this in a few days.Thanks Drew!

This!Thanks, but unless I'm missing something, i think I've got all of that done correctly...

If using several Kontact plugins is something you do a lot, I would create a track preset that includes multiple tracks with Kontact on each. A "Track Preset" can actually be an entire session's worth of tracks. Doing this would allow you to have your midi assignments already laid out. I have several Instrument Track presets with my "go to" instruments already loaded and midi inputs set to the intended controller(I have 3 keyboards):oWell, now that's cool! I didn't know it could be an entire session/multiple tracks. That's a good solution in any case...and if I can't resolve existing issue, this could go a long way toward a workaround.

I compose a lot, so parts of my workflow are very unpredictable because I may try 10 different things, so I often won't know how many instances of something I'll need, or what will even be in them. Making a unique instrument for every possibility is not really plausible. But, having a generic handful of initial setups could go a long way.

Which brings me back to the initial challenge: I still am puzzled as to why:
- my outputs are wrong when using an instrument preset more than once
and
- I'm unable to change the MIDI outputs on those tracks.

Maybe Drew will have some insight.

Can anyone confirm that they are able to use an instrument track preset more than once in a session without encountering this issue?

djh108
01-21-2018, 09:19 AM
Thanks everyone! I wrote a longer reply yesterday and just discovered it never posted for some reason. Here's a recap -

Drew, thanks much. look forward to your thoughts.

YYR123, thanks. I'm pretty sure I've got everything in those steps done correctly.

albee1952 - Thank you, thats really great to know, didn't know it could be whole sessions/multiple tracks. If I can't resolve this MIDI routing issue, this will come in handy for a work around (and also very handy for all manner of other things).

Though albee1952 offered a path to a good work around, I'd still love to get to the bottom of the original issue. As a composer/producer, I'm very often in a situation where I may try a number of different options before settling on one, so ideally I'd love to have a preset that is just a generic instrument track with a particular plug, and that the track preset can be used more than once in a session if needed. Maybe this just isn't possible, or mayb e theres more to the situation than I'm seeing.

Can anyone confirm if they are able to use the same preset for a MIDI instrument track more than once a session without running into the issues I had (unchangeable, incorrect MIDI routing)?

djh108
01-24-2018, 04:03 PM
Bueller?

musicman691
01-24-2018, 05:43 PM
Bueller?
I'm not Ferris but in another thread here http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?p=2470924#post2470924 there is made mention of the latest version of PT12 having track presets built-in meaning you don't have to do the hack. You may want to check that out.

But getting back to the problem I have no issue with using the same preset multiple times throughout a session. Always able to reassign the MIDI if I need to. Usually though whenever I create for example an instrument track with Kontakt on it it routes the MIDI in the track to that instance of Kontakt.

Are you using the latest version of Kontakt? IIRC it's 5.71.

Drew Mazurek
01-24-2018, 09:40 PM
Sorry my reply before had to be cheeky. you see why now.