PDA

View Full Version : Specifying Length of Track in Time

DonaldM
10-02-2015, 08:03 AM
I'm not quite sure how to ask this, but here's what I was hoping to be able to do. I have a track in 126bpm. It's about 1:33 long...so short. I wanted to make it exactly 1:30. I thought there was a way to do this, but if so I'm not finding in the manual. Right now everything is with MIDI and instrument tracks, nothing converted to audio. I thought there was a way to do it with the Time feature in the Event menu. But apparently not. Is this possible to do?

When I consulted the manual, I noticed in the description of the Parabolic window there was an option for "min-sec", as shown in the manual, but that option does NOT appear on my screen, no matter what. I found that puzzling as well. I thought that was the option I would need, but I don't even have it.

albee1952
10-02-2015, 09:10 AM
There are a few ways to make this happen.
#1-put all audio tracks in Ticks mode>enable elastic audio on all audio tracks(using the appropriate algorithm)>raise the tempo until everything fits your 1:30 target

#2-Bounce to disk as it is now. Import the 2-mix into a new session and use the TCE tool to shorten to your target time.(showing the Grid in Minutes:seconds view would all for easy snapping to a time mark, I think:o)

#3-Bounce to Disk and use Serato Pitch 'n Time to shorten the clip(Wavelab can also perform this type of process)

joachim
10-02-2015, 09:54 AM
BPM should be 130.2 , shouldn't it ? (126 x 93 / 90)

With HD, and the audio bounced : one can make a 1:30 selection in the timeline, deselect link-track-and-edit-selection , select the 1:33 audio, and hit Alt Shift U (TCE Edit to Timeline selection (Pro Tools HD and Pro Tools with Complete Production Toolkit only))

DonaldM
10-02-2015, 11:06 AM

With HD, and the audio bounced : one can make a 1:30 selection in the timeline, deselect link-track-and-edit-selection , select the 1:33 audio, and hit Alt Shift U (TCE Edit to Timeline selection (Pro Tools HD and Pro Tools with Complete Production Toolkit only))

So the feature to do this only comes in the HD version? I'm just using the regular PT 11...not HD.

DonaldM
10-02-2015, 11:10 AM
There are a few ways to make this happen.
#1-put all audio tracks in Ticks mode>enable elastic audio on all audio tracks(using the appropriate algorithm)>raise the tempo until everything fits your 1:30 target

#2-Bounce to disk as it is now. Import the 2-mix into a new session and use the TCE tool to shorten to your target time.(showing the Grid in Minutes:seconds view would all for easy snapping to a time mark, I think:o)

#3-Bounce to Disk and use Serato Pitch 'n Time to shorten the clip(Wavelab can also perform this type of process)

Thanks, Dave. I figured it could be done with EA, but as I said in my OP, everything is currently in MIDI (or instrument track) right now. I was hoping to change it before converting the tracks to audio. EA works nice, but I still get artifacts or distortions, even with slight tempo changes, so its not always usable.

DonaldM
10-02-2015, 11:22 AM

Joachin, I'm not a math whiz, but I think I get this. The formula is:

(BPM*t)/dt where t=actual time in seconds and dt=desired time in seconds. The result is the new tempo that will get the track at a specific length of minutes and seconds.
Have I got that correct?

joachim
10-02-2015, 11:27 AM
Have I got that correct?

According of the Rule of Three, that should be it.
Did you try ?

DonaldM
10-02-2015, 11:29 AM
Did you try ?

Not yet...I will later when I'm back in my studio. But, it seems to make perfect sense. Thanks for the formula. This particular project is for a friend who wanted exactly 90 seconds for some radio thing. I got real close with 126 BPM, but couldn't figure out how to convert the track's BPM so that it would be exactly 90 seconds. I believe your formula will work.

DonaldM
10-04-2015, 07:44 PM
Did you try ?

Okay, so I used the formula, and it worked great! Using the actual length of the track and applying the formula changed the tempo to 127.99997 which made it exactly 1:30. Perfect.

Thanks again!