PDA

View Full Version : Do the $199 Annual + $599 HD plans include PT10?

Hugh-H
09-08-2015, 10:13 AM
Hello,
We have around 10 HD or native systems running in television production environments that can't be upgraded to PT11 or 12 at this time, the operators will panic and there are compatibility problems. We need to wait for a hiatus and upgrade the entire computer, that will need to wait.

I've read the other post about the $99 upgrade not including PT10, and I've followed all the links that Jeffro has posted, but it isn't clear whether the $199 upgrade plan and the $599 HD plan include PT10. Perhaps I'm just missing it.
Here's an example from the updated licensing FAQ -

Q: Will I have to surrender my old license when I upgrade to Pro Tools 12? Will I lose my Pro Tools 10 license too?
A: The original Upgrade Plans (as well as new/full product purchases) included a Pro Tools 10 license (for 32-bit compatibility) in a bundle along with v11/12, but some upgrades only provide a license for Pro Tools 12 (see the "Info" link next to the price for the Pro Tools Annual Upgrade Plan as an example). Your old license/bundle will need to be surrendered as part of the upgrade, so please check the info/details for the specific upgrade option prior to purchasing.

I'm not sure what the difference is between "original" and "some" upgrade plans, is the $199 plan an "original" and therefore I get PT10, or is there something else I'm not seeing?

Looking at the "Info" link as suggested for the answer, it only says the following -

Pro Tools Annual Upgrade and Support Plan
Select this option to upgrade or crossgrade your copy of Pro Tools 9–11, Pro Tools Express (bundled with Pro Tools | Mbox, Fast Track Solo, or Fast Track Duo interfaces only), or Pro Tools M-Powered/MP 6–9 to Pro Tools 12.

Your upgrade includes a renewable Avid upgrade plan, which provides all future Pro Tools upgrades for one year from the time of activation, plus expert help, renewable annually for $199/year.

Pro Tools 12 requires an iLok 2 USB Key—if you have an older “blue” key, you can purchase a new iLok 2 key here.

Please note that InMusic versions of Pro Tools Express are not eligible for this crossgrade.

There is similar, but slightly different, verbiage for the HD plan but no mention of PT10. With the terms changing regularly from Avid, I can't tell whether we get a PT10 license with our $199 plan or not. Can anyone show me whether that's the case?

If it's not the case and PT10 will not be available, is it possible to purchase before the end of the year to avoid penalties (we're legally obligated to keep these systems running!) and then keep the licenses without transferring to the iLoks? Is that recognized as an official plan? I know legally of course it is because it's purchased but I need to know that we'll be authorized.

Sincerely,
Hugh

stpete111
09-08-2015, 10:23 AM
You will not have to surrender your PT 10 license. It is included with all upgrades (except the $99, as you've already mentioned) to maintain compatibility with 32-bit plugins.

onbeat
09-08-2015, 10:39 AM
Just talked to my rep at Sweetwater. The $199 upgrade they currently sell does include a 10/11/12 license bundle. Just to clarify, the upgrades that Sweetwater sells include the 10/11/12 bundle, I can't vouch for the Avid store upgrades.

Hugh-H
09-08-2015, 10:54 AM
Hello,
You folks are fantastic, thanks for the confirmation. We are in BIG trouble if the upgrades tank these systems.

Sincerely,
Hugh

noiseboyuk
09-08-2015, 11:30 AM
I'd dearly love to read chapter and verse on this on the avid website, for all upgrades and all new versions. Just checked the latest full version of regular PT, and there's only mention of 12. Is it dropped from new purchases?

nigelpry
09-08-2015, 01:42 PM
Hello,
We have around 10 HD or native systems running in television production environments that can't be upgraded to PT11 or 12 at this time, the operators will panic and there are compatibility problems. We need to wait for a hiatus and upgrade the entire computer, that will need to wait.

I've read the other post about the $99 upgrade not including PT10, and I've followed all the links that Jeffro has posted, but it isn't clear whether the $199 upgrade plan and the $599 HD plan include PT10. Perhaps I'm just missing it.
Here's an example from the updated licensing FAQ -

I'm not sure what the difference is between "original" and "some" upgrade plans, is the $199 plan an "original" and therefore I get PT10, or is there something else I'm not seeing?

Looking at the "Info" link as suggested for the answer, it only says the following -

There is similar, but slightly different, verbiage for the HD plan but no mention of PT10. With the terms changing regularly from Avid, I can't tell whether we get a PT10 license with our $199 plan or not. Can anyone show me whether that's the case?

If it's not the case and PT10 will not be available, is it possible to purchase before the end of the year to avoid penalties (we're legally obligated to keep these systems running!) and then keep the licenses without transferring to the iLoks? Is that recognized as an official plan? I know legally of course it is because it's purchased but I need to know that we'll be authorized.

Sincerely,
Hugh

You mean keep the new PT12 licenses in your iLok account on the server, without activating them by dragging to your iLok, which would trigger surrendeting your old license(s)?

I don't see any reason why you can't leave it like that, you've activated the upgrade in your Avid account, and it is just the license swap that is left pending.

Unless there is some mechanism that pings an unactivated license back to the issuer if not swapped within a certain length of time, but I've never heard of anything like that happening.

jeffro
09-08-2015, 04:01 PM
...I can't tell whether we get a PT10 license with our $199 plan or not. Can anyone show me whether that's the case?...
The Pro Tools | HD Annual Upgrade and Support Plan (as listed here (http://shop.avid.com/ccrz__ProductDetails?sku=%23DYNAPA20003)) does include a 10/11/12 license bundle. This upgrade does require surrender of a previous license/bundle, but you do get a 10/11/12 bundle in return.

I've passed along points from these threads to get the store info improved.

Hugh-H
09-08-2015, 04:20 PM
Hello Jeffro,
Thanks for the confirmation in this thread, the link you posted is one of the many I checked and there's no indication of a PT10 or 11 bundle with the 12 plan. I appreciate you confirming and I have printed out this thread so if things go wrong I have a recourse.
I look forward to the correct information in the store.

Sincerely,
Hugh

jeffro
09-08-2015, 04:24 PM
You're welcome.

I posted about the upgrade options in here (http://duc.avid.com/showpost.php?p=2291974) if you want to review that. (I tested these upgrades myself.)

Jon_Atkinson
09-09-2015, 01:07 AM
I'm aware that upgrading vanilla means losing the 10 licence, but is thus the same with HD?
Just trying to figure out what to do with my PT10 and CPTK.... Whether to sell the CPTK and go vanilla 12, or go HD12.
If HD 12 includes 10 and 11 that might swing it for me.
Thanks

noiseboyuk
09-09-2015, 01:52 AM
We now do have a reply on this - http://duc.avid.com/showpost.php?p=2291974&postcount=28

Suggest any follow up posts move to that thread?

Jon_Atkinson
09-09-2015, 02:13 AM
Perfect! Thanks for that.

::F-L-E-X::
09-09-2015, 04:12 AM
(I tested these upgrades myself.)

So it wasn't only us who were unsure of which plans included PT10...;)

It's still pretty disappointing that Avid opted to drop PT10 & 11 from the Annual Upgrade Plan. Most of us were under the impression that the reason for the $99 price was that no support or additional plug-ins were included... not that we would need to surrender any PT10 or 11 licenses.

I had hoped Avid had turned a corner, & in their own words "were listening"... but apparently not. A pity, as they might have shifted some serious units...