PDA

View Full Version : Enhancing off-axis dialog for film/tv

petersrin
08-01-2015, 10:46 PM
Just picked up a cool new trick. There was some really poorly recorded dialog and the film didn't have the budget for ADR. Off axis, muffled, etc. So I bussed the DX track to an AUX set up with a nice saturation plugin (would've worked better with Waves due to their aux process mode, but I don't have it) and eq'd the lows & mids out of the aux, then just rode the aux send throughout the problem areas. Worked better than EQ :)

antonis
08-02-2015, 10:59 AM
...plugin (would've worked better with Waves due to their aux process mode, but I don't have it)

What's the Waves aux process mode?

Andy Gone
08-03-2015, 06:33 AM
Same question :) Do you mean Waves Aphex exciter with it's three modes?

simon.a.billington
08-05-2015, 02:34 AM
Yeah off-axis dialogue tracks can be problematic to work with.

Enhancers are a great too as you and Andy have put it. Another great one is that Vitamin the also develop.

The advantage there is it's multi-band capability, that way you can treat the key parts of the signal more than it's other parts so you don't end up contributing low-level noise as well.

A multiband compressor/eq is great as well because then you can conditionally boost or cut a specific band of frequencies in the signal only when the sound warrants it.

I've also found that Vocal Rider works quite well as kind of a transparent compressor/leveller. It can be used to add more presence to the voice not boosting the noise floor in any obvious way. A tiny bit of limiting on the peaks can help too.

Then there is noise removal tools... but I won't go into that as well, that one's pretty obvious.

mbauer1
08-25-2015, 04:00 PM
Take a look into isotope RX4 Advanced. In the stand alone app there is EQ match. You simply let it learn from a piece of dialogue you're happy with and process the pieces you are unhappy with. You can adjust the percentage change. It doesn't work 100% of the time but I've been blown away by the results and how often it has transformed something seemingly unusable. Try it, you will feel guilty for how easily you get amazing results.