PDA

View Full Version : Tips for recording VI in near finished session.

JamJuice
07-21-2015, 08:50 AM
Hi there -

I've just returned after being away from using PT for a couple years. I was wondering what people here would do under the following circumstances...

If I have a session thats 70% finished (tracking and mixing) and I want to add a new VI part how can I deal with the latency thats now occurred? In Logic I would hit the low-latency button but that doesn't seem to work in PT.

Thanks!
Jam.

albee1952
07-21-2015, 10:23 AM
If your computer has the horsepower(mine does) just drop the buffer to 64 or 128. With a less powerful rig, there are a few options that should allow you to lower the buffer;

If you only need a few key tracks to follow, make the rest inactive while you do your overdub.

Make most of the plugins inactive. With the modifier key, you can do an entire row(A, B, C, etc) in a single command.

Bounce to disk(include a click or count-in) and open that stereo file in a new blank session. Record your new part there and then import the new part into the original session.

JamJuice
07-21-2015, 01:00 PM
Thanks for the tips! I will give them a go.

evil_cliff
09-01-2015, 12:03 AM
Some good tips there from Albee1952.

I ALWAYS need to do overdubs at the end of the session and most of the time I bounce down the whole track and start a new session in the same folder where I do all my additional overdubs. I end up recording more guitars, vocals and VI's so I need a fresh session to work in.

Once I'm done I go back to my 'Master' session and import the tracks form the Overdub session. Job Done :)

Andy

nst7
09-01-2015, 07:54 AM
Yes, what he said.

To clarify, you bounce down your mix to either a stereo track, or to several tracks as stems. Then you deactivate the original tracks. Then lower your buffer and record your overdubs.

When you are done, raise your buffer again, and reactivate the original tracks and continue as before.

simon.a.billington
10-02-2015, 08:30 AM
Some good tips there from Albee1952.

I ALWAYS need to do overdubs at the end of the session and most of the time I bounce down the whole track and start a new session in the same folder where I do all my additional overdubs. I end up recording more guitars, vocals and VI's so I need a fresh session to work in.

Once I'm done I go back to my 'Master' session and import the tracks form the Overdub session. Job Done :)

Andy
Reminds me of a technique Bruce Swedien follows.

He would often keep his master tracks on a different reel while working from another reel until he got everything figured in which case he goes back to the master to do a proper mix.

The idea is it protected the integrity of the tape as perfectly as possible which ultimately impacted on the quality of his transients and the overall sound.

NealMiskin
11-13-2015, 10:43 PM
Commit Tracks if you're using PT 12.3. Otherwise everything that was mentioned above.

simon.a.billington
11-20-2015, 01:46 AM
Well you can...now

elicious
11-20-2015, 11:49 AM
Something else that can work very quickly and easily;
in all of our sessions we do a "save as"
for every major change to the song;
usually the more intensive plugs don't get start getting used
until we get more into the mix.
so if somebody has a last-minute tracking idea,
we just open up the most recent saved session that occurred before the mixing process started.
that sesh already has a good mix, cue sends, basic fx,
and enough musical vibe to allow the OD to flow…
e
for the record