PDA

View Full Version : Unable to hear myself when recording

wendydowd
07-21-2015, 07:30 AM
Hello everyone,

I'm pretty new to the game and am having some trouble. Im using PT 12 - the main issue is me not being able to hear myself in my headphones while recording randomly - sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt. I've tried narrowing down a cause or fix but it seems to be completely up in the air and will randomly just not work like it should. I have seen others have the same issue but none of the advice that was given to them has worked for me.

I'm starting to think it may be a hardware issue (my headphones are pretty old, and cheap, and not specifically designed for such purposes). Anyways, I'm in the market for some headphones, and maybe even a decent monitor... max $300-$400 budget for each, but I'd prefer to spend a little less on the headphones. Any suggestions to help a girl out? :-)

luceeloo
07-21-2015, 10:02 AM
Do you mind me asking what recording interface you are using? Is it the MBox?

As far as headphones go you have some wiggle room as far as what you could get away with. You can find some for around $100 that will do just fine, but if you have more to spend that's fine too, you get what you pay for. Check out this guide (http://www.pricenfees.com/best-studio-headphones-under-100.html) for some ideas. Don't take the ratings order too seriously.. not sure I agree completely with the ranks they gave, but most of the headphones on there are decent and relatively cheap. No need to spend a fortune, once you've passed the beginner stage, then you could consider upgrading to something more serious.

Finding decent monitors is a bit more tricky IMO. You don't really want to skimp on those, and you will probably be using them for the majority of your time. I currently use the KRK RP5G3 Rokit 5 gen. 3's.

I believe they are in your price range, but hopefully someone else can chime in because for that amount of money I think I could have done better.

albee1952
07-21-2015, 10:27 AM
My 2 cents, but I think the JBL LSR305's are the best bargain out there for those on a tight budget. For headphones, none are good for mixing(none that you or I could afford:p), but can be fine for tracking, and for checking the bottom octave of a mix(where most "home studio" rooms are notoriously inaccurate). I bought a used set of sennheiser HD380 for $100 and they are nicer than any other $100 phones I have heard:D

wendydowd
07-21-2015, 01:59 PM
Okay, so it looks like we are in agreement that I don't need to spend as much as I originally thought - always a plus! :-) So.. I'm going for the Sennheiser HD 380 Pro's like you recommended albee1952, which are also ranked 1st on the guide you sent luceeloo. Seems like I can't really go wrong with those for the price, and everyone seems to say good things. I'm also going to go for the JBL LSR305's as I'm still pretty new at this so there's probably no need to get carried away. Thanks for the help! Hopefully this will also be the solution to my original problem.

AhwatukeeComputerRepair
07-23-2015, 06:06 PM
You either do not have input monitoring active (Option + K on a mac)
To fix this open your session and hit the command and look for the little green square to light up under the red one (record light) and you should be good.

If this isn't working for you then try to create a headphone mix and route your signal to there. Make sure to make the headphone mix Pre!