PDA

View Full Version : Creating Patterns & Assigning to Keys

johnbarnesiii
06-01-2015, 10:20 PM
Hello,

I'm looking for a new quick way to be able to preview or try out different song arrangements.

Is there a way to turn a part of a song (let's say a verse for example) into a pattern that loops, then assign that pattern to a key on my keyboard controller? The idea would be to then assign various parts of a song to different keys on the keyboard, so that I can preview different arrangements and see how the parts of a song work together.

So I end up with a bunch of different looping parts that I can jump back and froth between using the keyboard keys.

Currently my process is too cumbersome: I have a bunch of different parts in the same session (let's say 2 verse options, 3 choruses, 4 potential bridge parts), and the only way I know to mix & match these parts so as to preview and find the best arrangement is to string together various options in the session file (let's say for example verse1 + chorus2 + bridge4). This ends up being a lot of work for preview's sake and so I'm just trying to find a much faster way.

Anyone with knowledge of this pattern creation and easy arrangement previews? Any help greatly appreciated, thanks!

Carl Kolchak
06-02-2015, 04:24 AM
Quickest way would be to do an offline bounce of each section, having it automatically re-import the bounced files in to the session, then drag those files in to an instance of Structure FREE.

From there you'd just map out the keys as you like, and play them to your hearts content.

(Obviously you'd have to create an instrument track, and insert Structure FREE, before you could drag the bounced pre-mixes from the clip list to Structure).

One caveat : I know the ability to drag and drop from the edit window / timeline was lost from Structure, when it moved to 64bit AAX (it's not a plug-in I use very often, so I'm not totally au fait with it's quirks).

I don't know if drag and drop still works from the clip list, or the browser - otherwise you'd just have to import the bounces in to Structure FREE, which just takes the usual amount of typical "import" mousing.

Ben Jenssen
06-02-2015, 05:37 AM
I think if it was me, I'd bounce to a track, cut up and name the sections. Then on a track next to it, just alt-drag-and-drop clips in, in shuffle mode to arrange. Can't really see how samples on the keyboard is better. Just my 2cents.
(Perhaps use colors on the clips.)

DonaldM
06-02-2015, 07:58 AM
Quickest way would be to do an offline bounce of each section, having it automatically re-import the bounced files in to the session, then drag those files in to an instance of Structure FREE.

From there you'd just map out the keys as you like, and play them to your hearts content.

(Obviously you'd have to create an instrument track, and insert Structure FREE, before you could drag the bounced pre-mixes from the clip list to Structure).

One caveat : I know the ability to drag and drop from the edit window / timeline was lost from Structure, when it moved to 64bit AAX (it's not a plug-in I use very often, so I'm not totally au fait with it's quirks).

I don't know if drag and drop still works from the clip list, or the browser - otherwise you'd just have to import the bounces in to Structure FREE, which just takes the usual amount of typical "import" mousing.

Actually, this is a good idea and would work. The only difference is that instead of "drag and drop" which can no longer be done, you have to import. My suggestion is to simply bounce (or export as Wav file) each clip or loop you want to use to a separate file in your PT session folder. Maybe create a folder called "Loops". Naming each loop as you bounce or export is important here. Determine what note on your keyboard you want to trigger each loop - C3, D3 etc or whatever. Then put that in the file name like "Loop Name - C3". When you import to Structure, Structure will read the C3 and put the loop there for you. If you've done it correctly, all the loops should be available to trigger in their assigned keys.