PDA

View Full Version : Exporting from Reason to Pro Tools + Copying Plugins

TONAH
04-08-2015, 04:39 PM
What is the easiest way to transfer my Reason 8 session to Pro Tools?

I had my tracks organized in Reason but when I imported them in Pro Tools they were all out of order. Is there an option on either program to make the transfer smooth?

Also, is there a way to copy one plugin to all the selected channels with the same settings as the original? I wanted to copy a Channel strip plugin with a HP filter at 200hz in all my tracks (but the drums)

Cheers!

musicman691
04-10-2015, 04:54 AM

I had my tracks organized in Reason but when I imported them in Pro Tools they were all out of order. Is there an option on either program to make the transfer smooth?

Also, is there a way to copy one plugin to all the selected channels with the same settings as the original? I wanted to copy a Channel strip plugin with a HP filter at 200hz in all my tracks (but the drums)

Cheers!
To the first question I have no answer but it shouldn't be all that hard to re-arrange them once in PT. Just click and drag the track.

To the second question: assuming you're talking about a plugin in PT what I do when I want to duplicate a plugin is to on a Mac (you don't say what operating system you're using) hold down the Option key and click and drag the plugin to the track I want it on and this duplicates the plugin and it's settings. For multiple tracks I just click and drag to each track; never tried it for duplicating a plugin on multiple tracks at one time because I rarely need it on more than one or two tracks.

DonaldM
04-10-2015, 05:46 AM

Cheers!

If you've exported the tracks from your Reason session as Waves files and imported those to a PT session, then as Jack said, you can just drag the tracks around to put them back in the order you want.

Option 2: Create a session in PT and create a stereo inst track and call it Reason Main. Instantiate Reason and use the main L/R as the input. Open the Reason session on the instrument track. Now the mix from Reason will play on that instrument track.

To mix in PT, though, which is apparently what you want to do then do this:
Create as many AUX tracks in PT under the inst track as you need for each track in Reason, stereo or mono. In Reason, flip the rack to the backside and route the audio output of each individual track's audio outs to an empty Rewire input at the top of the rack.
On each AUX track in PT, instantiate another instance of Reason and change the input to correspond to whatever Rewire input slot you selected from Reason for the audio out for that track. So, say, track one in Reason is Synth Pad and you routed the output to Rewire slots 3&4. Then use 3&4 as the inputs for the AUX track. Now, the audio output of that track from Reason will play on the AUX track and NOT the Instrument track. Rinse and repeat for each Reason track's output. Now, each Reason track's output should be playing on its corresponding PT AUX track, and NOTHING should be playing through the instrument track. Now you can do your mix using the AUX track faders in PT and use whatever further plugins and such in PT on the AUX tracks.

The benefit of doing it through Rewire is that you can still use the Reason plugins on each Reason track to tweak the sound in the mix. Once you commit to audio, though, then your Reason plugin settings are all fixed for that track.

Hope that helps.

unkJE
04-13-2015, 06:45 PM
is there a way to copy one plugin to all the selected channels with the same settings as the original?

When you’re happy with your settings, save them this way:
From your plug-in Preset drop-down menu, choose: “Set As User Default”.
Then, from the Preset drop-down menu, choose: “Settings Preferences/Set plug-in Default To/User Setting”.

To insert this same plug-in & settings on all selected tracks:
highlight all selected tracks (select 1st required track then hit Shift and select last track),
then hold down Shift + Alt (Windows) while selecting plug-in.