PDA

View Full Version : Quick Arrangement

TONAH
04-06-2015, 04:50 AM
Hello!

I am new to the community. I just got PT12 over the weekend and I am estactic to learn all of it.

I would be awesome to learn the various techniques and tips on how you guys take a 16 bar idea and arrange it to develop various parts of the song. For example, quick shortcuts, groups, etc.

Cheers!

albee1952
04-06-2015, 08:36 AM
Truthfully, this forum is a bit more on how to solve problems(besides the General and Midi sections). You need to get started and the best way is to dive in and work it, with some good tutorial videos to help you along. Groove3 and pro-tools-expert are 2 excellent sources at a modest price. Then youtube also has a lot to offer for free.:o

TONAH
04-06-2015, 10:04 AM
Thank you for the reply. I know the basic of arranging since I used Logic for a while. I was just wondering about composition shortcuts, like in Logic you can clone clips in that will replicate your automation so if you modify the parent, the clones will automatically update. Stuff like that :)

albee1952
04-06-2015, 01:26 PM
Aha. I believe what you want is "Mirror Midi Editing" under the "Options" menu. Truthfully, Pro Tools is not as slick as some other DAW's for midi work(but its gotten better over the years):o

TONAH
04-06-2015, 04:12 PM
Thank you. I will try that :) I read most of the Pro Tools manual at one point but didn't use as much so I didn't retain much. What i love about it is the ability to see and edit all the midi tracks at one point. Logic and Live have similar functions but they can be finicky when I try to edit all parts at once. Makes it easier to keep track of all the motion in the parts :o

DC-Choppah
04-07-2015, 06:21 PM
Learn how to use the 'docked' editor, and all the tricks he shows in in this quick video. Definitely learn to change the color of the tracks so you can tell each part by color when editing lots of MIDI tracks at once.

http://www.avid.com/US/avid-tv/ProTools8CompleteMIDIProduction

If you find yourself opening and closing the MIDI editor all the time, then you are doing something wrong, so go back and review the video again.

Switching to score mode is cool for getting a quick look at how the parts in the piece line up.

TONAH
04-07-2015, 07:16 PM
Thank you very much. I will take a look at that video. I just wish the Midi didn't cause so many crashes. It might be my system though