PDA

View Full Version : Can't download protools because Avid wants me to update billing address

Recording Room
04-05-2015, 11:15 AM
Good afternoon everyone.

I decided to take the plunge and get on a subscription for protools 12. I bought it direct from the Avid store of course. Problem is I'm unable to activate anything because it tells me I need to verify my billing address... OK so I do. I follow the link, I click confirm, it adds the 4 digit zip code extension, I click confirm again, and well... it updates nothing. I've even tried changing the mailing address completely, and still nothing is updated.

Until I solve this, apparently I'm in punitive hell and can't use Pro Tools 12. Is there a trick I'm missing here? I'm on a Mac, and I tried 3 different browsers thinking maybe it's a browser compatibility issue. I don't have cookies blocked or anything that would cause a problem with the site.

Anyone?

Southsidemusic
04-05-2015, 12:14 PM
What does your ZIP Code look like EXACLY when you get your normal mailbox mail? Not emails ;)

We had the same issue until I made the space correct in our zip code, weird as hell but that fixed it for us.

Recording Room
04-05-2015, 12:18 PM
Thanks for the reply.

I looked at 4 pieces of mail and it's 30097-1871. that's exactly what it is. I put that in (and if I don't the form modifies it for me) and click confirm and nothing is updated. Like I did nothing.

Any other thoughts? (I emailed store support but who knows how many months it will take before they respond)

Recording Room
04-06-2015, 07:13 AM
Sorry for bumping this, hoping a moderator might see this to alert Avid, or perhaps someone's aware of a number I can actually call to get phone support for this issue? I can't seem to find one on the site.

Many thanks gentle folks.

Recording Room
04-06-2015, 08:29 AM
650-237-1700 option 3. I figured that out by calling a different number and getting to the wrong human who was nice enough to give me the number to get to the right human. :) Crossing fingers.

Recording Room
04-06-2015, 08:49 AM
So this is interesting.

The human wasn't able to fix it either. He got stuck in the same pattern I did. He's escalating the issue. In the mean time, he's generating a temporary 3 months license of PT12 for me and sending me the download info. I guess that's OK given that I subscribed. So from that standpoint Avid responded appropriately.

What's troubling is that when I asked how long it might take to resolve this, the answer was: within a month. (you can guess I found that answer a bit jarring) So I'm going to give this polite human the benefit of the doubt since I'm sure he has no visibility into the issue once escalated.

So the number and extension I called works in case someone else hits a snag with ordering.

Peace.

Recording Room
04-07-2015, 12:08 PM
Updating folks on what I'm learning from Avid.

First I want to say that Avid has been extremely friendly and responsive. I understand a lot of folks are upset with them, but I can honestly say my experience so far has been pleasant.

The status is that in fact the web application is not working correctly, and in my case it's causing my update and confirmation of my address to not work. The IT team is working on a fix, but it's unclear as to when that will be deployed. There's no way for the support person to know that.

Avid called me back just now and offered a couple of options. Of course one of them is wait for it to be fixed, and I'm not comfortable doing that. One of the other options is to cancel the order, get a refund, reorder over the phone with a human, which seems to get me past all these problems. Since they've offered to handle it all, I took the offer.

So if you run into this issue, just call the number and talk to a human (politely) and you'll get the help you need it seems and in fairly quick order I'd say (no pun intended).

Peace

Recording Room
04-07-2015, 12:32 PM
Ok so they did what they said they would do. For future reference, here is what the bug is:

If you have a zip code without its extension (30097 and not 30097-1871) it will ask you to confirm your address because the system wants to add it. The reason I couldn't confirm and fix the extension was because I already had the subscription in place (hence the bug).

To correctly get a subscription working off the store right now, here is what you should do:

1- Login to your avid account
2- in My account update the billing and shipping info.
3- Make sure it has the right 4 digit zip code (in fact clicking confirm will automatically insert that information for you)
4- Confirm both billing and shipping.
5- Make sure you have your iLok account linked from the MyAccount page.

Then go get your subscription. It all works fine then.

R

TonyFlyingSquirrel
04-07-2015, 12:39 PM
Nice to see this outcome.
They were extremely helpful when I called, and I let them drive remotely to ensure that all my settings were correct, which they corrected one or two, and showed me how to navigate a couple of other things.

Having them drive was very helpful as it visually showed me in realtime what I needed.

roberts
04-07-2015, 09:30 PM
I wish Avid would go back to they days of Pro tools 9 installs
Plugin your ilok
Put in the DVD
Click install and go.
All of this garbage just to get PT running is huge pain for new users.

Recording Room
04-08-2015, 05:25 AM
roberts, I understand your frustration. Frankly I think this issue is not a protools problem, and the site has a very specific bug which I don't believe a lot of people would hit. I can honestly say that once that was fixed, the process of getting protools 12 up was super easy. When you buy the subscription it automatically puts the license in your ilok account. You just need to open the license manager and add it to iLok, download and start protools. It's actually quite smooth.

That said, even though there were hiccups, in the end I prefer the monthly subscription because I believe it holds Avid accountable: If they want me to keep paying my subscription, they need to show me they're going to give me value month to month. I prefer that approach over just saying: screw it I'm going to use something else and have to relearn a whole new tool to be effective at my craft.

Incidentally, I took the leap to PT12 because the I/O changes made would make my life easier with the varying session files I get, and that was worth $24 :)

R

whipman
04-26-2015, 10:05 AM
I'm having the same problem. In my case when I click on update or log in to my account it gets caught between pages ( gray translucent screen) and freezes there. It doesn't let me get to my info page. Tried all weekend.

whipman
04-26-2015, 10:46 AM
OK. So I was able to update my billing info with my ipad. Now when I try to download pro tools it brings me me to the ilok info page. When I type in my existing ilok user account name and click the link ...nothing, zero, zilch! The page just sits there like a dead link or something. Beautiful weather here all weekend in NY and avid has me glued inside to my computer! Ridiculous!