PDA

View Full Version : Getting this kick drum sound ?

Raoul23
03-31-2015, 04:06 PM
I've been recording a band recently and in one of there songs the drummer wants his bass drum to sound like this one with the boom/reverb before the bass gtr comes in on the song. I've tried a few reverbs aswell as turning up the sub microphone track but to no avail. I can't get the same kind of sound. Anybody on here have a trick or tip to help me out with this one please :)

http://youtu.be/rV8NHsmVMPE

Southsidemusic
03-31-2015, 04:09 PM
I've been recording a band recently and in one of there songs the drummer wants his bass drum to sound like this one with the boom/reverb before the bass gtr comes in on the song. I've tried a few reverbs aswell as turning up the sub microphone track but to no avail. I can't get the same kind of sound. Anybody on here have a trick or tip to help me out with this one please :)

Hey

Do you have a link to the kick drum sound you are after? It would help ;)

Raoul23
03-31-2015, 04:10 PM
Hey

Do you have a link to the kick drum sound you are after? It would help ;)

Sorry :( it's late here in the UK my brain is a bit fried lol I edited OP with video link :)

Southsidemusic
03-31-2015, 04:43 PM
Hehe i know the feeling :D

Well if I had a drummer who wanted that sound I would use a drum replacer like drumagogg or Slate trigger and sidechain it. The sound from your original kick needs to be solid as heck for you to get that sound as good as M5

Maybe try and send the kick out direct in mono and setup a aux track with both hard compression, eq and a very very short reverb.

You will have to test a few plugins but you need a good compressor and a short room reverb or a plate verb and the EQ it after taste.

Or as a second option use trigger or similar with an already finished awesome kick sound. Almost every band has a replaced drum sound somewhere so no cows on the ice there :D

Raoul23
04-01-2015, 12:38 PM
Thanks Southside I'll give them tips a go this week. :-) never done side chaining before so hopefully I can get a hang of setting it up :-)

sw rec
04-13-2015, 03:30 PM
PM me about the old "gated oscillator" trick.

Raoul23
04-17-2015, 10:16 AM
@sw rec the oscillator trick worked a treat thank you :-)

mesaone
04-17-2015, 11:19 AM
Boz Digital has a plug-in called Little Foot that does the osc trick very well, makes it easy. Check out a demo, I think the full version is like $29

Raoul23
04-17-2015, 11:44 AM
Boz Digital has a plug-in called Little Foot that does the osc trick very well, makes it easy. Check out a demo, I think the full version is like $29

Thanks Mesaone I'll check that out :-)