PDA

View Full Version : Motu express 128 with Pro Tools 12

Rob Hannon
03-28-2015, 07:33 AM
Hi guys

I've just completed a full computer upgrade and swapped from an old Cubase DAW to Pro Tools 12.

After some trouble (require reloading off all software and drivers) I am now up and running except for 1 issue.

I can not get pro tools to recognise my Motu Express 128.

I've updated all the drivers from Motu, the device is recognised through windows device manager but when I go into Midi set up within Pro Tools there is no reference or link to the device.

Any pointers please.

guitardom
03-28-2015, 07:41 AM
Hi guys

I've just completed a full computer upgrade and swapped from an old Cubase DAW to Pro Tools 12.

After some trouble (require reloading off all software and drivers) I am now up and running except for 1 issue.

I can not get pro tools to recognise my Motu Express 128.

I've updated all the drivers from Motu, the device is recognised through windows device manager but when I go into Midi set up within Pro Tools there is no reference or link to the device.

Any pointers please.

Verify you installed Asio drivers.
Under: Setup > Playback Engine, is the Motu shown?

Craig F
03-28-2015, 07:42 AM
so it's not an option as a playback device if you hold down the N key when you launch Pro Tools

Rob Hannon
03-28-2015, 07:42 AM
Yes Motu PCI ASIO shown.

The Audio is working fine just the midi. The Express 128 is connected via USB

ChuckS
03-28-2015, 10:01 AM
It's not an audio device so ASIO drivers/playback engine or restarting with the N option does nothing for you. MOTU has a MIDI driver installer - have you installed that rather than the MOTU Universal Audio Installer? Have you setup your MIDI studio under Setup --> MIDI --> MIDI Studio?

Rob Hannon
03-28-2015, 02:40 PM
I have installed latest midi drivers from the Motu website. I've checked in devices and under USB controllers sits the 'Motu USB Midi (WDM) for 64bit windows'.

Device Driver details
Device Configured (oem24.inf
Device Started (MotuUsb64)

DeviceInstanceId USB\VID_07FD&PID_0001\6&304f1c19&0&3
DriverName oem24.inf
ClassGuid {36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}
ServiceName MotuUsb64
LowerFilters
UpperFilters
Problem 0x0
Status 0x0

I've tried setup/midi studio in Pro Tools but the device is not listed.

The Audio is working fine and I have set up machine control for the Mackie (HUI). The only thing I can not get to work is any interface between Pro Tools and the Express 128.

ChuckS
03-28-2015, 02:48 PM
I've seen a couple of places that USB 3.0 ports can be an issue with some MOTU products ??? If you only have USB 3.0, do you have a USB 2.x hub you can try putting in line?

Rob Hannon
03-28-2015, 02:55 PM
Tried in Both 3.0 and 2.0 USB ports

ChuckS
03-28-2015, 03:22 PM
Tough one. Maybe try uninstalling and reinstalling all audio and MIDI device drivers, but you've probably already tried that. Different USB cable? Oh well . . . martini time over here.

ChuckS
03-29-2015, 05:07 AM
If you're still having trouble, you might try asking over on http://www.motunation.com - they have a topic on MOTU devices with Windows that may be of some help. It could also be a PT12 issue, it's very new. A way you could check that is to see if it works with PT11 (if you have access to that installer).

Rob Hannon
03-30-2015, 09:02 AM
Checked through the window forums. Everything is set up fine, drivers are up to date, registers are good.

My only observation is that the driver sits in the Universal Serial Bus section in the device list. All other devices used by pro tools sits in the sound, video and game controllers. Is it that Pro Tools only looks at this list, if so can you move the driver somehow to sit under this section and if so how?

ChuckS
03-30-2015, 12:37 PM
Checked through the window forums. Everything is set up fine, drivers are up to date, registers are good.

My only observation is that the driver sits in the Universal Serial Bus section in the device list. All other devices used by pro tools sits in the sound, video and game controllers. Is it that Pro Tools only looks at this list, if so can you move the driver somehow to sit under this section and if so how?

It should show up in the USB section and also in one of the others depending on type. MIDI devices show up under 'Software Devices' in the device manager. Are you seeing the ports there? If not, MOTU tech support is very good. You can open a tech link with them or you can Skype to US land lines for a couple of cents a minute.

Another thing to try is download MIDI-OX and see if the device and ports are showing up there - http://www.midiox.com/.

musicman691
03-30-2015, 12:43 PM
If you're still having trouble, you might try asking over on http://www.motunation.com - they have a topic on MOTU devices with Windows that may be of some help. It could also be a PT12 issue, it's very new. A way you could check that is to see if it works with PT11 (if you have access to that installer).
Agreed - the Motunation people are very good. That forum is not MOTU run and has no official affiliation with MOTU.

Some years back I ran a MOTU MIDI Timepiece AV USB (still have it on my Mac PT rig) with WinXP and Sonar; it was not smooth sailing getting it to work but thanks to the Motunation people we got it sussed out. MOTU stuff and Windows is still a shaky proposition but can be made to work. Definitely download the newest drivers (assuming the work with your current versions of Windows).

Rob Hannon
03-30-2015, 01:24 PM
Thanks Chuck

I've downloaded Midi-ox and the interface is not listed so it looks like a windows 8.1 issue.

I will try motunation as suggested.

Cheers for the help

musicman691
03-30-2015, 01:40 PM
Thanks Chuck

I've downloaded Midi-ox and the interface is not listed so it looks like a windows 8.1 issue.

I will try motunation as suggested.

Cheers for the help
See if you can do a hard reset on the MOTU to clear the unit out - maybe it got hung up in something strange? Another possibility is (and I ran into this on my unit) if the internal battery (if your unit has one) to save the state of the unit has gone dead. On mine when the battery died it was not saving any settings on power down and would randomnly change settings. It's easily replaceable with one from Radio Shack if they still exist in your area.

Rob Hannon
04-05-2015, 12:56 AM
Problem Solved

As the Express 128 takes its power from USB connection when the computer shuts down there is still power to the USB ports, unless you turn the main power switch off at the back of the computer.

So by ensuring the computers power supply is totally turned off before start up the Express 128 is re discovered on power up.

However a restart (for some reason) doesn't rescan the USB ports and midi is lost. But by unplugging the Express 128 and plugging it back in hey presto midi is back.

musicman691
04-05-2015, 04:39 AM
Problem Solved

As the Express 128 takes its power from USB connection when the computer shuts down there is still power to the USB ports, unless you turn the main power switch off at the back of the computer.

So by ensuring the computers power supply is totally turned off before start up the Express 128 is re discovered on power up.

However a restart (for some reason) doesn't rescan the USB ports and midi is lost. But by unplugging the Express 128 and plugging it back in hey presto midi is back.
And that is why I don't like USB powered equipment. But with this MOTU there's no other option.