PDA

View Full Version : Trick to Getting Smart Tool Back

Brian in Charlotte
03-26-2015, 02:22 PM
Hoping I'm in the right forum! Been working with Pro Tools for 10 years - first time I've ever experienced losing the Smart Tool. I'm in PT 11 11.3.1 and Mac Yosemite. I normally have the shortcut F7-F8, but it's not working. Have to use Command+7. I guess I happened to hit a series of keys/clicked something that changed it. It's in every session - so I switched something globally I guess. HELP? All other shortcuts work fine.

Stig Eliassen
03-26-2015, 02:46 PM
F6+F7 also works, normally. Or, you can click the outline that surrounds the 3 tools.

Have no idea what could've happened with the F7+F8 command.

Brian in Charlotte
03-26-2015, 03:43 PM
F6-F7 doesn't work either.....only Command 7. Yep, I can click around the rim of the 3 tools and it works. Wonder what happened for me to lose my shortcut key!

Michael Zull
03-26-2015, 06:22 PM
You have to switch the Function keys back to their "normal" behavior in System Prefs. Apple defaults all the function keys to other shortcuts, see this article.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204436

I also disable the Spotlight shortcut, as I've gottten so used to using Cmd+Space to record/punch instead of Numpad3.

Brian in Charlotte
03-26-2015, 07:06 PM
It's so weird because I've not had a problem in 10 years with this, but now all of a sudden today I must've hit some combination of keys which caused it to no longer work. I'm lost.

Michael Zull
03-26-2015, 07:09 PM
Did you switch the function keys back to normal usage in System Preferences per the linked article?

joachim
03-27-2015, 04:10 AM
Just a shot in the dark :
on my Logitech keyboard there is a "F-Mode" button, defining the behaviour of the F-buttons, either "standard" (then F6 F7 will select the Smart Tools) or "advanced" (e.g. F2 will open Word, F6 is undo, F7 will print, ...)(and F6 F7 will not select the Smart Tool).

Brian in Charlotte
03-27-2015, 05:20 AM
I had never changed the "Use all F1, F2, etc., keys as standard function keys" I verified that had not changed and it was ticked. It's so strange. I quick ProTools as well, but nothing helped. HOWEVER - this morning when I fired back up - all was back to normal. #twilightzone