PDA

View Full Version : Oh no: not another thread on dither!!!

ctstahl@gmx.net
03-16-2015, 06:28 AM
Well, yes:

I kept working in 24bit, 44,1kHz. Worked on different sessions, bounced all sessions as 24 bit. Now I want to import all music into one project (prep for CD).

I applied Preferences/Processing/Import: automatically copy files on import and automatically convert files to session format. Imported all bounced files into a 24bit project.

Then I chose "save copy in...", chose 16bit and saved a copy.

That's it, right? Now dither is applied, I'm done. Right?
Right? I can bounce, piece by piece, as 16bit.

albee1952
03-16-2015, 09:09 AM
Well, yes:

I kept working in 24bit, 44,1kHz. Worked on different sessions, bounced all sessions as 24 bit. Now I want to import all music into one project (prep for CD).

I applied Preferences/Processing/Import: automatically copy files on import and automatically convert files to session format. Imported all bounced files into a 24bit project.

Then I chose "save copy in...", chose 16bit and saved a copy.

That's it, right? Now dither is applied, I'm done. Right?
Right? I can bounce, piece by piece, as 16bit.
I would guess you are correct, but WHY??? What are you trying to achieve? If you want a 16 bit bounced file for burning to an audio CD, apply a dither plugin as the final insert on your Master track and bounce to a 16 bit/44.1K Interleaved file(from your original 24 bit sessions).

Or just take all the bounced stereo files(all at 24 bit) and import them into a 24 bit session, then export each track as a 16 bit/44.1K Interleaved file, and dither will be applied automatically during the export. Converting an entire session(all individual tracks) from 24 bit to 16 bit would be adding dither(low level noise) to ALL tracks, when you don't need to do this.

mesaone
03-16-2015, 10:23 AM
Like Albee said, just export from the session instead of saving a session copy. You would use "Export Clips as Files" command and then choose 16 bit as the export bit depth. Noise-shaping dither will be applied.

ctstahl@gmx.net
03-18-2015, 06:59 AM
What's the advantage of exporting over copying? I need the project as 16 bit with dither, but I need the project as it is.

Well, in the meantime I did some experimenting with dithering. I found that noise shaping (tryed dith-R with different noise shaping options and "dither" without noise shaping) changes the sound of the project more than I like. The recorder player thought I should drop noise shaping.

So I guess in order to controll dithering I have to bounce every piece with dither/ no noise shaping. I didn't think dithering would be such a burden.

albee1952
03-18-2015, 12:42 PM
You are still not being clear on why. Saying " I need the project as 16 bit with dither, but I need the project as it is" makes no sense to me:o Sorry...would like to help, but we need to be "on the same page":rolleyes:

FWIW, Dither is something you only want to happen 1 time(which is why its usually the very final process when creating a master file for burning onto an audio DC).

Bob Olhsson
03-18-2015, 01:00 PM
...FWIW, Dither is something you only want to happen 1 time(which is why its usually the very final process when creating a master file for burning onto an audio...The one time language confuses people a great deal. It's something that needs to happen every time any signal processing or bit reduction is performed in order to prevent low level crunchy sounding distortion. You just don't want to do it when no other change is being made to the audio.

waltz mastering
03-18-2015, 05:27 PM
So I guess in order to controll dithering I have to bounce every piece with dither/ no noise shaping. I didn't think dithering would be such a burden.
I'd forget any noise shaping as well. It doesn't always play so nice with any conversion down the line.