PDA

View Full Version : Thanks Bob Olhsson

Barry Johns
02-08-2015, 05:58 PM
I've been watching a Mowtown documentary "Standing in the Shadows of Mowtown on Showtime interviewing the Funk Brothers. They talk a lot about the studio in Barry's home where Bob recorded much of that music. I can't imagine being part of history like that!

Thanks Bob for being part of that very important history!

Bill Denton
02-08-2015, 06:48 PM
That is one incredible documentary...

If you're interested it's available on DVD...

Darryl Ramm
02-08-2015, 08:04 PM
And available to rent on Amazon.

No, wait I want to own, I hate rentals... :-)

Bob Olhsson
02-08-2015, 10:36 PM
The amazing thing about Motown is that every other part of that company was just as incredible as the musicians. I did an interview for NAMM where I get into it a bit. This is a five minute excerpt they posted. https://www.namm.org/library/oral-history/bob-olhsson

bashville
02-09-2015, 12:04 PM
Great to put a face with the name, Bob. Thanks for sharing this wonderful perspective.

Stig Eliassen
02-09-2015, 12:20 PM
That documentary is very inspiring. Just saw it on dvd. Great stories, awesome music.

Thanks.

Bob Olhsson
02-09-2015, 02:08 PM
A few things were misrepresented in SITSoM.

Nobody got credits because each album could easily have had 50 different musicians playing on it with a dozen different recording engineers involved. In the '70s more overdubbing became common and a lot fewer people were working on each album.

The Funk Brothers were also among the highest paid musicians in the world. When Berry started out he knew them from his jazz record store and they were happy to work for next to nothing in order to help him get started. At the same time they were also doing union advertising and network broadcast work that paid extremely well. Motown's sessions were all union by the time they'd become wildly successful. Some of the players got paid a weekly salary in addition to scale for not playing for other labels. Motown was also among the first labels to ever pay producer royalties.

But people like drama...

Barry Johns
02-09-2015, 05:38 PM
I personally feel its so important in our world to give the full appreciation and respect deserved to those that choose to share with us like Bob does. It's not every day that we get a chance to communicate with such important history! It's also so important for the newer people to actually realize who it is they get the opportunity to speak with directly!

Eric Lambert
02-09-2015, 09:00 PM
I suspect that that wasn't meant to suggest that the Funk Brothers were given a brighter spotlight in SITSoM than they deserved, or that they had gold bathtubs in their 5th Ave. penthouses.

Bob Olhsson
02-09-2015, 09:39 PM
They were really well paid and deserved it. I was just not happy about the implication that they got screwed over by Motown.

The other thing is that we'd all known the Detroit studio would probably be closing for at least a couple years and many of us had been looking for other jobs. In my case I took a job in San Francisco almost a year before it finally closed. It was a difficult situation because there were no other comparable jobs in Detroit so we had no choice but to move if we wanted to continue on our career.

All I can say about history is that I certainly didn't realize what I'd witnessed as a fly on the wall until years later.

Bruce Paine
02-09-2015, 10:19 PM
Having spent 20 years in a Motown Stax/Volt soul review band, I really enjoy anything in this genre. Another recent documentary I liked was 20 Feet from Stardom, about backup singers.

And I think it's fantastic anytime Bob shares his knowledge with us. :cool:

RussUK
02-10-2015, 02:37 AM
Having spent 20 years in a Motown Stax/Volt soul review band, I really enjoy anything in this genre. Another recent documentary I liked was 20 Feet from Stardom, about backup singers.

More Bob goodness http://www.exponentialaudio.com/artist-spotlight-bob-olhsson

tbov
02-10-2015, 03:29 AM
Guys what the link for this documentary on amazon?

Eric Lambert
02-10-2015, 07:48 AM
20 Feet from Stardom

Yes, another great doc. I also liked Muscle Shoals.

Eric Lambert
02-10-2015, 07:49 AM
I was just not happy about the implication that they got screwed over by Motown.

I wasn't left with that impression. There might have been comments which lead in that direction, or comments which could have been interpreted as such, but I felt that, in general, they were very respectful of Motown.

Bob Olhsson
02-10-2015, 09:36 AM
What's unfortunate is that the musicians in Muscle Shoals and Memphis weren't treated nearly as well as the Funk Brothers were. Musicians' pay has actually been declining for 50 years. I get the feeling lots of people aren't really aware of that depressing fact. Maybe it depresses me more because I love music but am not a musician.

Bill Denton
02-10-2015, 11:49 AM

"20 Feet from Stardom" was a totally excellent movie.

Another that I've enjoyed lately, and can highly recommend is "Muscle Shoals"...