PDA

View Full Version : Maag EQ4 TDM version distortion/ crackling

crizdee
12-31-2014, 01:52 AM
Hi,

Just bought the Maag EQ4 as it's a great EQ AND it's TDM. But the TDM version distorts/crackles really bad on low frequencies? Switch to native and it's ok. Both AAX native and RTAS are fine, just the TDM version which has the problem. This is not related to input level or signal path gain structure, even with a very low input it's the same. I currently have the UAD version on demo and that works fine as well.

Just to clarify... identical settings on native and TDM and it's mainly the sub frequency that causes the problem.

Anyone else seen this issue with the TDM?

I haven't had chance to really troubleshoot yet but instantiated probably 6-8 times on different tracks and always the same.

Chris

JFreak
12-31-2014, 08:30 AM
TDM is 24bit-fixedpoint math. Use the "screw" to lower levels and you're fine. Native processing "cheats" by using 32bit-floatingpoint math. That is the difference.

crizdee
12-31-2014, 09:37 AM
TDM is 24bit-fixedpoint math. Use the "screw" to lower levels and you're fine. Native processing "cheats" by using 32bit-floatingpoint math. That is the difference.

Hi,

No its not that. i can reduce the screw level and no difference. even with a very lower level source it still distorts/crackles.

Chris

tonwurm
12-31-2014, 11:04 AM
I had this issue, too (distortion, crackling in the lower frequencies). But it occured only in combination with another specific instanciated plug-in, I think it was the SPL-Vitalizer plug, but Iīm not absolutely sure since itīs a longer time ago in the days of PT 8. Since PT 10 it didnīt occur again.

Micks_Mix
01-08-2015, 06:08 AM
Same problem, TDM version unusable...

dtmprod
01-08-2015, 06:48 AM
I've only used it on the mix buss & never had an issue. Having not used it on multiple trax in rest of session, can't speak to that at all. Have you spoken to Dirk about it? He's usually quite responsive to any issues that come up…..

JFreak
01-08-2015, 09:03 AM
I haven't had this issue, whether TDM/RTAS/AAX

JFreak
01-08-2015, 09:05 AM
And that said; I have Genelec 7060B sub so I'd think low freq problems would have been present here.

crizdee
01-08-2015, 11:21 AM
And that said; I have Genelec 7060B sub so I'd think low freq problems would have been present here.

Hi,

Not just the low frequencies! I've noticed it there all the time now if i listen carefully!

Anyway i have installed the previous version 1.4 from the legacy downloads and its all working fine now.

So its an issue with version 1.5 only

Chris

Micks_Mix
01-09-2015, 05:23 AM
Hi,

Not just the low frequencies! I've noticed it there all the time now if i listen carefully!

Anyway i have installed the previous version 1.4 from the legacy downloads and its all working fine now.

So its an issue with version 1.5 only

Chris

Thanks Chris,
I will try this, too.

The problem is indeed not only the low frequencies... In some cases the sound is completely messed, distorted and unpleasant... Sounds like Decapitator on steroids, switching to RTAS fixes it.

Michael.

crizdee
01-16-2015, 04:30 AM
Hi,

Just an update in case anyone else is experiencing this. I found i was getting a very low subsonic output when the audio was stopped on version 1.4 TDM

I have reverted right back to version 1.3 for TDM and using 1.5 for AAX 32 This is on Pro tools 10 HD and so far so good.

I will try and investigate this further and contact PA to see what they say but as its working ok now I'm happy...

This shows the problem I'm having with V 1.4 TDM...

NO AUDIO on this vid as there is no audio sound!! but it shows the subsonic level I'm getting on the meters, toggling bypass you can see it stops..

Private video only works with this link...

http://youtu.be/5HY-gMcUgJM

Chris

M2E
01-19-2015, 10:41 PM
Hi,

Just an update in case anyone else is experiencing this. I found i was getting a very low subsonic output when the audio was stopped on version 1.4 TDM

I have reverted right back to version 1.3 for TDM and using 1.5 for AAX 32 This is on Pro tools 10 HD and so far so good.

I will try and investigate this further and contact PA to see what they say but as its working ok now I'm happy...

This shows the problem I'm having with V 1.4 TDM...

NO AUDIO on this vid as there is no audio sound!! but it shows the subsonic level I'm getting on the meters, toggling bypass you can see it stops..

Private video only works with this link...

http://youtu.be/5HY-gMcUgJM

Chris

I had the same issue.
I still use 1.4.
I told them (Plugin Alliance) about it but, never got fixed.
Hopefully more people will relay their issue as well and it gets fixed.

Marc:(

innesireinar
01-20-2015, 04:32 PM
Same here, I've noticed this on a sampled rhodes (Scarbee). But given that TDM is dying I doubt that it will be fixed. Just curious how the aaxdsp works.