PDA

View Full Version : VCA Fader Question with Pro Tools 11- Help!

SuperDave71
12-22-2014, 09:35 AM
Good morning,

I have been watching video tutorials about grouping and they all seem show the ability to use VCA faders. When I create a group and I select shift-cntrl - N to create a VCA fader, the option is not there. :confused:

Is there a setting I am using incorrectly? Is there an option that needs to be turned on that I am missing?

I really appreciate your help!

Happy Holidays everyone!!!!

-Dave in Memphis :D

Manu101
12-22-2014, 09:40 AM
I think VCA is an HD only feature.

ha2dorff
12-22-2014, 09:41 AM
Yes, it's a HD feature

SuperDave71
12-22-2014, 09:45 AM
Thank you guys very much! I was beginning to wonder what on earth I was doing wrong. Thank you so much for clearing that up.

Much appreciated!

-Dave in Memphis :D

albee1952
12-22-2014, 04:03 PM
For non-HD users, your solution is to assign the outputs of your desired group, to an open stereo bus, and route thru a stereo AUX track(advantage; you can insert plugins on this AUX and treat an entire group of tracks):o

musicman691
12-22-2014, 04:31 PM
For non-HD users, your solution is to assign the outputs of your desired group, to an open stereo bus, and route thru a stereo AUX track(advantage; you can insert plugins on this AUX and treat an entire group of tracks):o
Or just go right to an aux track from the output of the other tracks and skip the bus; saves a couple of steps and possible routing errors. Been doing it that way for ages.

Ben Jenssen
12-23-2014, 06:30 AM
Or just go right to an aux track from the output of the other tracks and skip the bus; saves a couple of steps and possible routing errors. Been doing it that way for ages.
Just to expand a little on that: click on a tracks output and select "New track...". PT will set the output to a unused bus, create a new track and set its input to the same bus. If you do this while holding shift + option/alt, it will affect all selected tracks.

albee1952
12-23-2014, 08:39 AM

I think that's what I said:o

musicman691
12-23-2014, 09:02 AM
I think that's what I said:o
The way you wrote it was to select a bus from the output of a track, create an aux track and set the input of that aux track to the bus selected in the first step. With the method I outlined you skip expressly creating the bus and possibly screwing up the routing. That's easy enough to do if you don't keep track of which bus you used for what or don't name the bus. In my way you can also name the bus and new track at the same time.

albee1952
12-23-2014, 03:52 PM
The way you wrote it was to select a bus from the output of a track, create an aux track and set the input of that aux track to the bus selected in the first step. With the method I outlined you skip expressly creating the bus and possibly screwing up the routing. That's easy enough to do if you don't keep track of which bus you used for what or don't name the bus. In my way you can also name the bus and new track at the same time.

All that works in my method as well. Either way, its routing an audio track thru an aux track for master control:o