PDA

View Full Version : Can you comp midi?

Kinh
09-30-2014, 07:30 PM
Can you comp midi like you would audio?

GregV
09-30-2014, 07:53 PM
Do you mean Compress? Like audio compression?
Sort of... You can edit the velocity of your performance and limit its range.
For example, if you performed a piano part and the dynamic range (in MIDI terms) went from 20 to 127, you could "squash" this to be from 60 to 120. In a way, like compressing the upper range, and expanding the lower range.
I hope that helps

Kinh
09-30-2014, 08:45 PM
No, comp as in track comping/loop record.

Shan
09-30-2014, 09:01 PM
Can you comp midi like you would audio?

Unfortunately, no. Hopefully we'll see this soon in a future release.

Shane

Kinh
10-01-2014, 12:17 AM

Shane

Thanks. Yeah, I just discovered this after googling (probably should've done that first:-)). But was just wondering is there an alternative way to comp midi?

DonaldM
10-01-2014, 06:26 AM

Shane

+1000 :cool::cool::cool::cool:

holler
10-03-2014, 08:50 AM

Shane

+1

albee1952
10-03-2014, 02:03 PM
Oh yes, I also can't wait for PT to playlist midi like it does with audio:D Meanwhile, you CAN do it...sort of, depending on what you are doing with the midi. Say for instance, you are using a VI plugin(let's use MiniGrand for an example). Put up an instrument track with the plugin, and a few midi tracks, select to show CLIPS and record a pass(on the instrument track). Once its reached the end, drag that midi to one of the midi tracks. Now do another pass on the instrument track. Each time you finish a pass(with stuff worth saving) just drag the midi OFF the instrument track and ONTO one of the midi tracks. Once you finish recording(and ALL the midi info has been moved to midi tracks), switch to notes view, and assign all the midi tracks to the MiniGrand plugin and unmute midi tracks(one at a time) to hear how they sound. When you find parts that are "keepers", copy them back to the instrument track(highlight the midi on the midi track>copy>use the P & ; keys to move to the instrument track>paste. When you finish "comping", kill all the midi tracks and the instrument track should play with all your desired parts. Get creative with HOW you work, you you may find it easier to be musically "creative" within the boundaries of PT:o

DC-Choppah
10-03-2014, 07:56 PM
Playlists work the same way on instrument tracks as they do on audio. Just make a new playlist for each take.

The only difference is you can't switch the view to 'playlists'.

So you just duplicate the track say 5 times (for 5 takes) and empty out the original track to become the comp track and set the playlist of the 5 take tracks accordingly. Takes just a second.

Then you can use the solo button on each take track and pick out the pieces you want and slide them up to the comp track.

That's what I do anyway.

Kinh
10-15-2014, 03:56 AM
Oh yes, I also can't wait for PT to playlist midi like it does with audio Meanwhile, you CAN do it...sort of, depending on what you are doing with the midi. Say for instance, you are using a VI plugin(let's use MiniGrand for an example). Put up an instrument track with the plugin, and a few midi tracks, select to show CLIPS and record a pass(on the instrument track). Once its reached the end, drag that midi to one of the midi tracks. Now do another pass on the instrument track. Each time you finish a pass(with stuff worth saving) just drag the midi OFF the instrument track and ONTO one of the midi tracks. Once you finish recording(and ALL the midi info has been moved to midi tracks), switch to notes view, and assign all the midi tracks to the MiniGrand plugin and unmute midi tracks(one at a time) to hear how they sound. When you find parts that are "keepers", copy them back to the instrument track(highlight the midi on the midi track>copy>use the P & ; keys to move to the instrument track>paste. When you finish "comping", kill all the midi tracks and the instrument track should play with all your desired parts. Get creative with HOW you work, you you may find it easier to be musically "creative" within the boundaries of PT
Thanks for the tip but its not really comping. You break the flow of the performance when you do this.

Playlists work the same way on instrument tracks as they do on audio. Just make a new playlist for each take.

The only difference is you can't switch the view to 'playlists'.

So you just duplicate the track say 5 times (for 5 takes) and empty out the original track to become the comp track and set the playlist of the 5 take tracks accordingly. Takes just a second.

Then you can use the solo button on each take track and pick out the pieces you want and slide them up to the comp track.

That's what I do anyway.
I dont follow. To my knowledge playlists dont work with instrument/midi tracks at all, only audio. What do you mean?

Stereo Missile
10-15-2014, 04:30 AM
Thanks for the tip but its not really comping. You break the flow of the performance when you do this.

I dont follow. To my knowledge playlists dont work with instrument/midi tracks at all, only audio. What do you mean?

Instrument and Midi tracks do have playlists, and you can create new and duplicate playlists and switch between them just as you would an audio track. What they don't have is playlist VIEW, or the promote button. But there is nothing to stop you from comping from several playlists onto another midi track controlling the same midi instrument, it's just a slightly different workflow. What you would do is this:

In the edit window, select from the menu "views > edit window views > instruments". That shows you the midi routing and settings for each track. On the instrument track you will notice that there is a little mute button in the midi section - that mutes the MIDI information, not the audio output on the track. Use that to mute the midi from that track while still hearing other midi sent to the instrument plugin.

So next, create a new midi track above the instrument track you want to comp. Set the output of that new midi track to same instance of the instrument on your instrument track. (If you don't know which instance it is, open the instrument plugin and look in the top left corner, there should be a small text there telling you which instance it is).

So now, you can unmute the midi section on your instrument track and go through each playlist, selecting the bits you want, separate them using command-E, option drag them up to your midi track on the track above. Just use your mute buttons between the instrument tracks midi section and the mute button on the midi track to control which one is playing, so you don't have both playing at the same time.

When you have finished comping, you can create a new playlist on your instrument track, and drag your midi down onto it from the midi track above.

Hope that makes sense!

:)

tundra
01-17-2015, 10:57 AM
its 2015... and protools still doesn't have proper midi playlists....

set a section on loop, record.. i want playlist lanes afterwards. to pick the best bits.

DC-Choppah
01-17-2015, 03:22 PM
set a section on loop, record.. i want playlist lanes afterwards. to pick the best bits.

This helps: Preferences/Operation/Record Tick the box that says Automatically create new playlist in loop record.

PT is just missing the playlist view function, so you have to create new tracks, one for each playlist.