PDA

View Full Version : plugin versions?

Terry Wetzel
09-22-2014, 09:58 AM
Hi guys. My question concerns plugins. I'm on PT's9 and all my plugins, the ones that came with PT's and the others I have purchased are all RTAS. It is my understanding that these are the only compatible plugs for PT's 9. Is this correct? What are VST's and can I use them? Thanks. :confused:

bradch00
09-22-2014, 11:49 AM
RTAS is Digidesign/Avid's proprietary format for audio plug-ins that integrate with Pro Tools. VST is another plug-in format (from Steinberg). Natively VST format plug-ins will not work with Pro Tools. For PT 9 you can get a wrapper (FXpansion) that will allow for a large number of VST plug-ins to work with Pro Tools up to PT10. Blue Cat MB-7 mixer is another solution which hosts VST plug-ins for Pro Tools, it is compatible with PT11 as well.

musicman691
09-22-2014, 03:49 PM
RTAS is Digidesign/Avid's proprietary format for audio plug-ins that integrate with Pro Tools. VST is another plug-in format (from Steinberg). Natively VST format plug-ins will not work with Pro Tools. For PT 9 you can get a wrapper (FXpansion) that will allow for a large number of VST plug-ins to work with Pro Tools up to PT10. Blue Cat MB-7 mixer is another solution which hosts VST plug-ins for Pro Tools, it is compatible with PT11 as well.
FXpansion hasn't supported that wrapper for years and it's buggy as hell. I'd use either MB7-2 or Patchwork. Note that there are actually at least two VST specs - vst2 and vst3; not many developers are coding for vst3 yet.