PDA

View Full Version : would auto-link link other wrong files?

Rockman413
07-02-2014, 02:57 AM
Hi I'm concerned that:
Pro tools would normally auto find and link files if the original files are moved... Thus would it link wrong files, for e.g.:

Original file name is percussion1.wav, and there's also another percussion1.wav in another folder(but length is not perfecty the same, let's say , only 1frame difference in length) , then I delete the real percussion1.wav and reopen my session, would pro tools link the wrong percussion1.wav in the other folder in this occasion and similar occasions?

How doses it work?

Thanks!

CygnusX-1Bk2
07-02-2014, 12:56 PM
It also looks at file ID as well as duration. If you search manually you can "find links" or "find candidates" depending on where you click in the manual find and relink window. If you click on find links a dialog will pop up with check boxes for file ID, duration, and some other parameters for your search. You can also define directories when you search manually which will be retained until ProTools is shut down. Auto find will look in every connected drive which can take a long time or flat out stop your progress.

Also be aware relinking will not copy the file to the audio files folder, just point ProTools to the location.