PDA

View Full Version : I must be able to hear-----

Terry Wetzel
06-09-2014, 05:51 AM
What I previously recorded in order to overdub!
I have posted previously about this problem and thus far, no useful help!
Focusrite 2i4. When attempting to punch in,(overwrite) a section of a previously recorded track, there is no way to hear the previously recorded material. Input only monitoring/Auto input monitoring has no effect since, in order to avoid a delayed echo on the track while recording, one is asked by the Focusrite instructions to turn the input fader of the track one is attempting to correct, all the way down! I know I'm missing something here but this doesn't seem logical to me. What can I do to overcome this problem? Thanks. :confused:

Terry Wetzel
06-11-2014, 05:43 AM
I'm replying to my own post here as it seems no one wants to take this one on! Is it that dumb a question? Surely I'm not the only one using a Focusrite 2i4 I/O that has this problem. Being able to hear previously recorded material when attempting to overwrite it is, and always has been, a necessary and essential function of multi track recording. Is it possible that changing the playback on the 2i4 from outputs 1 & 2 to 3 & 4 would solve this problem? Before anyone goes there, I have yet to be able to hear playback with the 2i4 outs set to 3 & 4! Come on! Anyone!

dr_daw
06-11-2014, 07:19 AM
Terry,

You have 3 options:

1. RTAS Mixcontrol insert in PT's - but your buffer size must be set as low as possible to avoid input latency.

2. Get really fast at F-12 and Shift - M when punching in - This way you begin recording, then Mute the track right as you punch in.

3. This is the one I use, there's a free pluggin called 'MuteTone' - This is a great pluggin that is the workaround to the fact that Input Monitoring off is not available to PT10 Native users.

This is a common complaint by users of standard Pro Tools. If you want the ability to have input monitoring you need Pro Tools HD, or using any other DAW on the market.

Here's the link to MuteTone:

http://www.tritonedigital.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&category_id=1&product_id=10&option=com_virtuemart&=20&vmcchk=1&Itemid=20

mesaone
06-11-2014, 09:55 AM
No need for lightning-speed muting. It is possible to set different fader levels to tracks that are recording. The fader just needs to be pulled down once, and then it will stay there until you move it - and will not affect levels for playback.

Terry Wetzel
06-12-2014, 05:44 AM
mesaone. I don't follow what your saying! Are you telling me that when I put the track in record and pull the fader all the way down the first time,(2i4 instructions to avoid echo), then I can raise it back up to hear the previously recorded material while I'm overdubbing without experiencing the echo problem? Something tells me that this won't work but I'll certainly try it. Thanks.

Terry Wetzel
06-12-2014, 05:53 AM
dr_daw. Thanks for your response and suggestions but, My version of PT's 9 has both input and playback monitor selection. It's under the OPTIONS tab. I don't think I've ever seen an RTAS mix control insert, at least in my PT's 9 but I'll look again.

mesaone
06-12-2014, 09:45 AM
Terry, there's a preference that allows faders to have a different level when in record. The fader will have two states, record and non-record. It will toggle between those states when you record-arm the track. This will, in effect, allow you to have a track cut completely (or just at a lower level) whenever it is armed.

Search the prefetences for "link record and playback faders". I think it's in the Mixing tab.

Terry Wetzel
06-12-2014, 02:25 PM
mesaone. Yes I an aware of this preference setting and I use it as a matter of coarse. However, when I set a track to record, I still have to pull the fader down to avoid echo as per Focusrite 2i4 instructions while recording. When I've finished the current record pass and deselect record on that track, the fader goes back to wherever I had set it. I still don't hear what ever was previously recorded on the track when I attempt to overdub. I'm beginning to think there's no fix for this problem! Whatever happened to the young lady from Focusrite? Thanks

dr_daw
06-13-2014, 09:10 AM
Hey Terry,

I'm not super familiar with PT's 9, so I'm not sure what you're referring to. Non the less, the RTAS mix control is an added download available from the driver page. You can load it up and blend playback and input. This works in conjunction with your MixControl software. When you're tracking do you have your faders up in the MixControl? If you set your buffer small enough, you should be able to monitor through PT's with a slight latency. From there be able to use the workflow that mesa is talking about.

Terry Wetzel
06-14-2014, 05:54 AM
dr_daw. For starters I am on PT's 9.0.6, My I/O is the Focusrite 2i4 which has the 0 latency control whereby you can select record or playback monitoring by adjusting a knob. The half way mark works best for me with negligible, if any latency. That said, I'm not sure what you mean by RTAS mix control. I don't think I have that. Only a Mix window and an Edit window. By your explanation, it accomplishes the same thing as the 2i4 latency adjustment that I previously described. While tracking I have to pull the track fader for the selected track all the way down or I get unwanted echo! This appears to be a Focusrite issue,(?). Once again, my problem is not being able to monitor a previously recorded track while attempting to overwrite, (I.E.), overdub new material on that track. Yes, I could create a new track, re record the part and copy/paste it over the original track but to me that is going around one's ass to get to one's elbow which is a ridiculous work around for what seems to be a simple programing problem. Come on Focusrite and Pro Tools! Some one needs to step up to the plate and take responsibility!

dr_daw
06-14-2014, 05:34 PM
Terry,

I still think you should give MuteTone a try. I fiddled with Focusrite's RTAS but found it wasn't the best. Emcha, a user on here, as had no problems with it. But for myself, MuteTone does exactly what you're looking for.

Katherine_Focusrite
06-17-2014, 04:03 PM
Hi Terry,

If you are having trouble recording while using Direct Monitor for lower latency and need to hear a previous track during a punch in try putting the previously recorded audio on another track in Pro Tools. Edit out what you do not wish to use.

Record on a new track and then edit them together afterward.

Also note that RTAS MixControl is a plug in only for our Saffire Interfaces. It does not apply to any Scarletts that use MixControl or otherwise.

Please let me know if we can help you further.

Best regards.

Terry Wetzel
06-18-2014, 05:49 AM
Hi Katherine_Focusrite and thanks for answering. I had already reasoned that the fix you describe would suffice but the fact is it's a workaround and I haven't tried it yet! Why should your customers have to figure out ways to make your product work properly! I'm not saying it's all Focusrite. It's evident that Avid/Pro Tools shares some blame. For instance. I have yet to be able to make Auto Input/ Input Only monitoring work the way it should. Could be me, could be a flaw in PT's 0.0.6, who knows? Frankly I think these problems speak to the rush to market to beat the competition, therefore bypassing testing to assure customer satisfaction. And I'll add that I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer! :eek: