PDA

View Full Version : ProControl finicky fader

Barry Johns
04-29-2014, 08:43 PM
So I bought a ProControl and a Fader Pack from different people, both in pristine shape.

Occasionally I'm getting funny behavior from the far right fader on both units, but random and not always both at the same time. The fader will just stop responding, turning off the applicable unit and back on again will cause the fader(s) to work properly again.

Ideas?

Delta Music Belgium
04-30-2014, 04:05 AM
So I bought a ProControl and a Fader Pack from different people, both in pristine shape.

Occasionally I'm getting funny behavior from the far right fader on both units, but random and not always both at the same time. The fader will just stop responding, turning off the applicable unit and back on again will cause the fader(s) to work properly again.

Ideas?

It could be a dodgy connector on the fader. Lift the panel up, remove the cable in-between the fader and the PCB and re-connect the cable the other way around (the cable has identical connectors). Now each pin in each connector will make contact in new busses. To be on the safe side you can spray them with DeoxIt first

Of course you could do this with all 8 cables, even replace them from one fader to another to make sure you have good contacts on all faders

Another tip:

Go to the fader calibration mode (Press UTILITY > TEST > FADER to access the Fader page) and press the button next to RECAL. The faders of your Main Unit and connected Fader Packs will perform one recalibration cycle.

Now, press the button next to RECAL 100 times, Pro Control will remember this and perform 100 recalibration cycles. (you will have time to grab a cup of coffee)

I have revived a lot of ProControl Faders in this way back in the days (I was a Digidesign Support engineer for many years)

Btw, did you know this one about your faders: you can adjust the resistance of your faders, from very light to very heavy. This is how to do it:

Fader Resistance

Fader pull back, or resistance, determines the “feel” of fader travel. To optimize fader response/feel, each ProControl unit has adjustable fader resistance to provide looser or tighter fader
response. Fader resistance must be set individually on each ProControl unit, using the instructions below for a Main Unit and Fader Pack(s), if any.

To adjust Fader Resistance:

Main Unit:

1 Press UTILITY > PREFS > FADER.

2 Use the Scrub/Shuttle wheel to raise/lower fader resistance. You can move any faders on the main unit while adjusting the wheel to feel the change.

Fader Pack(s):

1 Press and hold SHIFT/ADD+OPT(ALT)ALL+F4. The top row of data displays (above the pan knobs) display: SYSTEM | TEST | PREFS

2 Press the flashing red switch to select PREFS. From the next list of choices, select FADER.

3 Rotate any data encoder (knob) to raise or lower fader resistance. Check the effect of various settings by moving a fader while turning the encoder to adjust resistance.