PDA

View Full Version : How to set auto saving time?

Rockman413
04-11-2014, 01:29 AM
How to set auto saving time? like I want it to only auto save half an hour for one time.

Thanks!

chrisdee
04-11-2014, 04:16 AM
Preferences->Operation->Auto Backup -> Backup every : x minutes

Se Pro Tools Reference guide (http://akmedia.digidesign.com/support/docs/Pro_Tools_11_0_Reference_Guide_80359.pdf#129) for more information.

Rockman413
04-11-2014, 07:52 AM
Solved, thank you!

CygnusX-1Bk2
04-11-2014, 08:44 PM
Half hour is too long. You can limit the number of backup files saved. I use 10 minutes. Sometimes that is too long. :D

Think about how many critical moves you can make in a half hour. Do you really want to redo your last half hour after a crash? Time is money. Literally and figuratively.

It's always a good habit to save after a major adjustment or series of adjustments. I can't tell you how many times I've had to redo several moves even with a 10 minute auto save cycle. Session files are relatively small. Plus if you take a mix too far in a bad direction you can think back to a good point then find an auto save from near that time then open and resave as the main session. Also don't be afraid to branch mix sessions. By this I mean saving slightly different versions of the same thing with minor differences. Use the file name to denote differences.

musicman691
04-12-2014, 04:15 AM
Half hour is too long. You can limit the number of backup files saved. I use 10 minutes. Sometimes that is too long. :D

Think about how many critical moves you can make in a half hour. Do you really want to redo your last half hour after a crash? Time is money. Literally and figuratively.

It's always a good habit to save after a major adjustment or series of adjustments. I can't tell you how many times I've had to redo several moves even with a 10 minute auto save cycle. Session files are relatively small. Plus if you take a mix too far in a bad direction you can think back to a good point then find an auto save from near that time then open and resave as the main session. Also don't be afraid to branch mix sessions. By this I mean saving slightly different versions of the same thing with minor differences. Use the file name to denote differences.
I use 10 minutes here and limit to the last 5 autosaves although with that sometimes when I look at the folder that has the autosaves I have way more than the last 5 autosaves.

I not only use autosave but my left hand is permanently formed into the cmd-S shape :-) for manual saves as well. Good habit to learn (or the Windoze version as well if you're on that OS).

Seafoam_Green
04-12-2014, 08:08 PM
5 minutes for me , but now ive sorted out a few bugs that were in my system, I could maybe go 10 minutes , it depends on what in dong ..., but saving doesnt take much room so I think i will stick with 5.

If your running out of HD space,you can always delete some old saves if you are entirely happy with what youve done and cant see yourself going back (but save the opening ones though )

I will also maually save too ..., Ive learnt to do this the hard way from having things crash after doing the most complicated of tasks :o