PDA

View Full Version : Is this true of most plugins?

Terry Wetzel
03-19-2014, 06:15 AM
Good morning. I recently ventured outside of the Plugins provided with Pro Tools, (9). First I downloaded the free version of a tape delay plug, (Massey). After I set the parameters and use it in a session it reverts back to settings that were obviously pre programmed. I then purchased the paid version and it does the same thing! Is there a way to save settings of non standard plugins in Pro Tools so one doesn't have to go through this aggravation every time the plugin is used? Pre-Thanks for needed advice.

suicune
03-19-2014, 06:46 AM
No, it's just Massey that does that. He gives fully functioning versions of his plugins as demos, they just don't keep their settings.

The paid version should NOT do it. If yours is I would uninstall the plugin completely and try reinstalling it. Make sure you are using the individual installer downloadable from the user area not the demo bundle installer.

albee1952
03-19-2014, 07:27 AM
I agree that its likely an issue with the authorization:o

DMB13KOS
03-19-2014, 07:55 AM
Massey demos are functional but cannot save presets; copy the setting on the section of the track for notes and you can reset the Massey plug-ins next session.

yorgo
03-19-2014, 08:24 AM
That's terrible. Such a simple thing. I don't understand that.... It's something I would have thought was automatic

bradch00
03-19-2014, 09:02 AM
Which Pro Tools are you using, for AAX you have to run the Massey "Wizard" to authorize, for RTAS (PT 7 - 10) you have to download and authorize from your Massey account.

musicman691
03-19-2014, 10:52 AM
Something I've run into with demo plugins from various developers (but not all) is I have to uninstall the demo version and install the paid version or else I ran into the problems cited here. When doing that I suggest doing a reboot between steps and if you're on a Mac repair permissions between steps as well.

mesaone
03-19-2014, 01:12 PM
That's terrible. Such a simple thing. I don't understand that.... It's something I would have thought was automatic

To clarify, this limitation is only built into the demo. When you buy the plug-in, this limitation is removed and it does recall correctly. I think this is the opposite of terrible, it's an excellent way to give people the chance to try the plug-in before buying it.

If you check the page for TD5 Tape Delay (http://www.masseyplugins.com/try#plugins/td5), you can see that upgrading to the full version provides session-restore functionality and save-and-restore functionality.

bradch00
03-19-2014, 01:55 PM
I think this is the opposite of terrible, it's an excellent way to give people the chance to try the plug-in before buying it
Totally agree.... it never stops working, even if you don't upgrade to the paid version.

DetroitT
03-19-2014, 04:05 PM
Make sure you download and install the full paid version from your account.
The demo will persist unless the Full is installed.

Terry Wetzel
03-20-2014, 05:39 AM
Wow guys! I'm overwhelmed by all the responses! (Or maybe I need another cup of coffee). I'm not sure I'm following what I may or may not have done correctly during the download/install process. I recall that I purchased the plugin on line, then clicked on "Run" when asked if I wanted to Save or run the program. Everything after that appeared to go smoothly and the plugin was installed in the proper folder along with my standard plugins. Now I don't know how to tell which one is the free version and which one is the paid version. How do I decide which one to remove from the folder so that, in the future I'm only dealing with the full version? Thanks.

Terry Wetzel
03-20-2014, 05:47 AM
bradchoo. I probably forgot to say I'm on PT's 9(.0.6). As stated, I did download the paid version from the Massey site. I assumed that no further action from me was necessary.

SpinningDisk
03-20-2014, 05:50 AM
I didn't have that problem with my Massey plugs. Lucky I guess.
Can you rename the plug?

bradch00
03-20-2014, 07:16 AM
Well.... hmmmm... you're running Windows, yes? Can you just uninstall both of them and then download and reinstall the paid version? I'm sure you shouldn't have to do that.... but a) I've not run into this before b) I'm running on Mac and am not familiar with plug-ins on a Windows machine.

So... it's a suggestion...

Terry Wetzel
03-21-2014, 06:07 AM
bradchoo. If I remove both versions and then re-download the paid version, wouldn't I have to pay for it again? Or am I not understanding your suggestion? Thanks

Bill Denton
03-21-2014, 06:37 AM
bradchoo. If I remove both versions and then re-download the paid version, wouldn't I have to pay for it again? Or am I not understanding your suggestion? Thanks

Obviously you would want to check with the plugin vendor, but usually you are allowed to redownload without paying again...

musicman691
03-21-2014, 06:39 AM
You only pay for something once. Why would you need to re-download the plugin? If you save the download before installing it then if you ever need to re-install the plugin it's right there on your machine or on a backup disk. I do that with all my plugins - they get saved off to a separate disk. The only possible thing that would interfere with re-installing something (provided anything else on your computer hasn't changed) would be whatever authorization scheme is used.

bradch00
03-21-2014, 08:22 AM
No, not at all. When you log in to your Massey account, the license key(s) of the paid plug-ins and the full downloads are available.

As musicman691 said, you probably still have the paid download in your downloads folder of the machine you downloaded it on, so you may not even have to download it again.

yorgo
03-22-2014, 04:44 PM
To clarify, this limitation is only built into the demo. When you buy the plug-in, this limitation is removed and it does recall correctly. I think this is the opposite of terrible, it's an excellent way to give people the chance to try the plug-in before buying it.

If you check the page for TD5 Tape Delay (http://www.masseyplugins.com/try#plugins/td5), you can see that upgrading to the full version provides session-restore functionality and save-and-restore functionality.

Sorry I misunderstood....I thought that was the way the Massey plugin worked..... They didn't save presets with the full version.....
I understand the demo wouldn't.