PDA

View Full Version : Focusrite Pro 40 help Please?

acmost
02-15-2014, 04:20 AM
Pro 40 help Please?

I really like this thing but I'm having some Mix Control routing issues which is most likely operator error but I'm trying…
I don't want to use it. Mixing routing everything to Outputs 1/2 is fine...works great but for tracking I'm making headphone mixes in PT9 HD with Auxes etc.

I want to track using PT's latency 32/64 which is fine for me and not use Mix Control, so I put Mix Control in "Tracking Mode"…everything's fine except I can't route Line Out's 7/8 9/10 etc to external Headphone amps…no sound. I put it in Mix Mode and that works…but then I can't monitor through PT's Monitor outs(1/2) - don't work. How do I do this?

I want to track and have all the Pro 40's input's & outputs line up where it's supposed to in PT's I/O window. Putting it in Track/Mix mode doesn't seem to be accomplishing this. I'm sure it's something stoopid simple I'm missing but...

Thanks!

Dre2580
02-15-2014, 04:43 AM
I use the pro 14 myself.....try checking out my post "bypass mix control", there might be something there that can help u. Also katherine from focusrite is on here regularly...she may have more info for u.

Dre2580
02-15-2014, 04:47 AM
Also, did u default the I/O setup in pro tools?

acmost
02-15-2014, 06:44 AM
Hey Dre...thanks, Yeah I did default the I/O and I actually had checked out your thread earlier.

It's weird, I have Monitor Outs 1/2 going to some speakers which will eventually be going to a Central Station once I bring the stuff downstairs again.
So 1/2 going to a pair of monitors, works fine, the two headphone outs work fine coinciding with that. Then sending Line outs 9/10 to a headphone amp. Fine. 7/8 to a Headphone Amp. Fine. 3/4 & 5/6 are weird though...for some reason they are lower level for sure & the Hardware Monitor Knob is controlling 3/4 & 5/6 line outs in addition to Monitor Outs 1/2(which it should)...I don't get it. It's not controlling 7/8 & 9/10. I got something crossed up but I dunno.

dr_daw
02-15-2014, 07:40 AM
Where you have your monitor selections, you can hold ctrl and click 3,4, etc and they will change colours. This will enable line level out if they are blue I believe. I don't use any of the mc presets and make my own.

You can also route you aux in pt to the physical outputs. It has to be set up in you output or bus section. Depending on your preference. I think you'll find making that change to the little numbered buttons in the mix control will solve your problems. Not in front of my machine, but 95% sure it's ctrl click and blue, red, grey are your options.

acmost
02-15-2014, 08:31 AM
Hey thanks, the grey, blue, red thing helped with the output levels all being the same. I've got the stuff set up right in the i/o section. I'm curious from the looks of Mix Control...do you have to give up Line Output 7/8 & either 9/10 to use the HP outs?

I'm looking to send monitor outs 1/2 to a pair of monitors and have the two Pro 40 headphone outs mirror that... and then be able to use Line Outs 3,4,5,6,7,8,9 and 10 as I choose - all without setting up mixes in Mix Control.

Thanks for the posts y'all!

dr_daw
02-16-2014, 07:21 AM
No problem on the help. Glad we could. I believe you can change the routing for all the outputs as you please.

Katherine_Focusrite
02-20-2014, 03:40 PM
Hi Acmost,

You are correct that the headphones are copies of 7/8 and 9/10 so if you route something to the headphones you have to "give up" 7/8 and 9/10.

If you want to use 1 pair of headphones and Monitor speakers I sometimes set up with my 8 channel snake in 1-8, then Monitor Speakers in 9/10. That way I get the same feed on the headphone port 2 as in the Monitors.

If you want more headphones you could also use a Monitor Station or Headphone Box to distribute the stereo feed to more headphones.

Please let me know if I can help you further.

acmost
02-23-2014, 07:04 AM
Hi Acmost,

You are correct that the headphones are copies of 7/8 and 9/10 so if you route something to the headphones you have to "give up" 7/8 and 9/10.

Aaah...oh well, thanks for the reply.