PDA

View Full Version : Free RTAS Downloads from Massey?

Terry Wetzel
02-09-2014, 06:09 AM
I recently expanded my plugins folder to include the most reasonably priced version of melodyne. So far, so good. I am considering a free download of Massey's Analog Tape plugin. As advertised they state that their free downloads never expire, (IE) no time limit, it's forever! Since I'm new to internet downloads and a bit suspicious and fearful of contracting a virus, I need reassurance that this particular download is safe, factual and as advertised. I sure miss the beautiful, lush tape echo I used to get with my old tape deck. Can anyone here offer advice on this? Thanks

csr
02-09-2014, 06:16 AM
Steven Massey's plug-ins are the real thing. True the free versions work indefinitely, and after you've used them for a while, you'll probably spend the modest amount to upgrade to a the paid version--they're well worth it in my opinion.

DMB13KOS
02-09-2014, 06:34 AM
The free Massey demos I added do work indefinitely, and after a while have a "nag screen" that says the demos are getting "stale" and do you want to refresh them. Plus you cannot save presets, so I write any settings in the comments section on each track.

They do work well, though.

SpinningDisk
02-09-2014, 07:45 AM
Massey is the man. Great plugins. Waiting on AAX now😊

Terry Wetzel
02-10-2014, 06:01 AM
Thanks for all the responses verifying the worth of the free massey plugin download. I will proceed and do it today!

albee1952
02-10-2014, 08:31 AM
If you need a good mastering limiter, the L2007, at $89, is a steal(I'd buy it if I already didn't have Waves L2). The rest are darn good plugins(and I understand being on a budget), but do you NEED them(trying is the best way to decide that). As long as you download directly from the Massey site, the files should be clean(but you can always scan the download for viruses before you install). I usually save a drive image before I install any new software or plugin. Remember that the settings will default every time you open a session:o

Re tape echo, I'm really liking the Waves H-Delay(watch for Waves specials for a good deal), but you can make your own(sort of). Start with the stock delay plugin. Follow that with an EQ and roll off the high frequencies(above, say 4K to 6K). Follow that with Sansamp or the AIR distortion plugin(or the Massey tape plugin) for some gentle clipping.:D

Terry Wetzel
02-11-2014, 06:22 AM
Thanks albee., (I always look forward to your informative posts). I've already tried the free massey tape delay and tape saturation plugs and as far as my current session/song they are just what the Dr. ordered! (Rockabilly with a digital twist)!. Also I'm finding these plugins easier to set and use than the stock PT's plugins. You are right about not being able to save the settings. They do revert when your done.