PDA

View Full Version : 003 Rack to Mackie ProFx16

@Yungis4Hire
12-21-2013, 09:12 PM
Hello

Can some please help me out? I have a Mackie ProFx16 mixer and a 003 rack running Pro Tools 8 on my Mac OSX 10.6... And I would like to know is there anyway I can connect the mixer to the rack for recording and use the mixer as my main mic inputs? I would like to use this for live recording at church. I also have a Seismic Audio LE 2000 amplified I am running into the mixer for my monitors. Please help me with setting all equipment for live recording purposes. Thanks in advance!

albee1952
12-22-2013, 12:07 PM
While not ideal, there are some options that should work. IIRC, the Mackie has 4 sub-groups, so you could mix certain things to the subgroups and feed the subgroup outputs to 4 line inputs of the 003(say inputs 5 thru 8 with the switches on the back set to +4). Then you could take 4 channels of the Mackie, directly to the 003 inputs 1 thru 4 by using standard TS cables(guitar cables) and plugging these into the Mackie channel insert jacks, but only into the first click(so it acts as a direct out from that channel). In this setup, you only have 8 possible inputs into Pro Tools. To get 16, requires an additional piece of hardware like the Behringer ADA8000. Connect that box the the 003 via the lightpipe connection and now you can have 16 total inputs into Pro Tools.

@Yungis4Hire
12-24-2013, 10:42 PM
Thank you! I am going to try it out tomorrow.. But question... Wont I not be able to edit all 8 individual tracks if I subgroup them together on the mixer? I have 2 keyboards and 5 mics I also have the main outs coming from the rack to the Aux return on the mixer in which the mixer output is running through an SA 2000 amp...do I have the right idea? Or is there any alternative way I can hook the mixer to the interface but still get individual tracks recording in pro tools 8?

albee1952
12-25-2013, 07:30 AM
You have to decide what signals to send thru the 8 paths that are available if that's all you have to work with. Reread the part about using a lightpipe preamp that adds 8 more inputs. That's the only way you can break things out beyond 8 tracks. The other option is to record 8 tracks to get the basics in one pass(like bass, drums and maybe a guide vocal), then repatch and have the band(minus whoever got recorded the first pass) replay the song, while hearing the drums and such from the first pass.