PDA

View Full Version : Mastering program

armytanker
12-17-2013, 05:16 AM
I know you can "master" in PT...but what program(s) would you suggest? I'm running 7.4LE on G5PPC OS 10.4.11.

Phil Ogden
12-17-2013, 06:03 AM
If you can get hold of a copy, I recommend Ozone 4

armytanker
12-18-2013, 09:38 AM
Thanks...and why is it do hard to find any good, new plug ins for my versions? Is it because it's so old? looking to get a good compressor like Pure DCompressor II, but not available for my OS versions.

albee1952
12-18-2013, 10:15 AM
Time to retire the old beast:o Time marches on.............Or maybe you can find someone selling an old version of Waves L1 or L2. Maybe check to see if the Massey plugins can run on the G5 as their L2007 mastering limiter is quite good, and only $89:D

armytanker
12-18-2013, 07:57 PM
I would update everything, but I only record my own band and I program the drums, so I don't need all the new fancy smanshy equipment. Just want to have good stuff for my version....if that makes sense lol

JFreak
12-18-2013, 10:39 PM
You can master in PT7LE if you want to, no need to purchase anything.

Most crucial tools needed for mastering are:
- ears and brain
- good pair of speakers
- well tuned room
- calibrated output level
- see, I haven't mentioned any software in this list!

Mastering means you know what to do for your stuff first, and then later making it happen. Unless you have some special outboard gear that costs thousands a piece, all digital software are kind of just the same. Okay, an over-simplification but still, you need to know how to use that compressor anyway. And instead of buying some killer plugins, your money would be better spent on a killer DA converter that makes it possible to judge those 0.1dB dynamics changes better (nothing wrong with the stock plugins

armytanker
01-06-2014, 10:07 AM
ok....
1) I have [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep]ty ears and an OK brain
2) Decent pair of speakers
3) [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep]ty tuned room
4)I have no idea what you mean
See a recurring theme here? lol I'm probably one of those guys that would need software to do alot of this for me. lol

albee1952
01-06-2014, 04:14 PM
ok....
1) I have [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep]ty ears and an OK brain
2) Decent pair of speakers
3) [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep]ty tuned room
4)I have no idea what you mean
See a recurring theme here? lol I'm probably one of those guys that would need software to do alot of this for me. lol
Based on this, maybe you should skip mastering:o. If you just GOTTA do it yourself, the best thing to do is keep it really simple. Just get a decent mastering limiter(like Waves L1, L2, L3) in an older version that works with your version of OSX and Pro Tools, and just add some limiting to bring up the level to get CLOSE to commercial CD volume(don't go for the last bit of volume as you will just end up with a crunchy mess).

JFreak
01-07-2014, 07:15 AM
If only thing you want from "mastering" is loud enough volume, then just place a limiter as the last plugin in your master fader. Drive the threshold down and stop when you see gain reduction. Then back off "3dB" (rule of thumb for those of you who have hard time listening) and that's it.

Russ M.
01-07-2014, 01:15 PM
Maybe check to see if the Massey plugins can run on the G5 as their L2007 mastering limiter is quite good, and only $89:D

I can confirm that the L2007 does run on a G5/PT 7.4/OS 10.4.9.. and still working on PT 10.3.8/intel Mac Pro/OS 10.6.8.

Raoul23
01-07-2014, 01:27 PM
If only thing you want from "mastering" is loud enough volume, then just place a limiter as the last plugin in your master fader. Drive the threshold down and stop when you see gain reduction. Then back off "3dB" (rule of thumb for those of you who have hard time listening) and that's it.

Very handy so know. Thanks JFreak :)

DetroitT
01-08-2014, 03:42 AM
Mastering Vs. Mix Master
Mastering is combining multiple songs together for a particular medium.
(Every type of media has their own technical needs.)
Tonally, dynamically and technically so all songs sound as if they were all made to go together.

Mix Masters are your final mixes (to be mastered)!
Get the best mix showing all your song has to offer.

Then work on the making-it fit to the medium you'll be using (CD, Vinyl, Web-Data-compressed variations etc...)
As suggested above Volume/Loudness can be achieved at this stage.
All-in-one plug-ins like Ozone or individuals like Waves L2 plus EQ of choice can do this and there are versions for todays and yesterdays platforms. There are hardware variations as well.

"Mastering' applications tend to not be remixing or mixing applications but rather sequencing and labeling of finished song information. Some offer the use of plug-ins some do not.
Toast or Toast with Jam, Waveburner are for CD creation so you can manufacture/replicate.

For an older system you'll just have to look to the compatibility docs and insure your not buying into software that will not work.
You'll likely not be able to get-NEW versions and some manufacturers may not even offer older versions.

T.

armytanker
01-09-2014, 12:05 PM
I can confirm that the L2007 does run on a G5/PT 7.4/OS 10.4.9.. and still working on PT 10.3.8/intel Mac Pro/OS 10.6.8.

Thanks for the info guys! I'll look into the L2007 and others that can provide with complete song information!
You guys rock!!