PDA

View Full Version : Increase speed gradually?

voxone
12-04-2013, 03:54 AM
Hi!

I'm doing a radio commercial where a part of the speaker track shall increase speed gradually. From normal speed to really fast. Increasing speed seamlessly.

I have tried Waves Sound Shifter (Graphic Mode). First it sounds really horrible. It introduces a very short delay making the resulting file sound like talking into a metal can. Second it can only increase the speed to a factor of 2. I would like to increase it to at least 4.

Does anyone know of a plugin or some trick to do what I want?

I use Mac, OS X 10.9, Pro Tools 11.03 and Metric Halo ULN-2. (Also have PT 10 installed)

Carl Kolchak
12-04-2013, 06:18 AM
Just speed, or pitch as well?

If it's speed & pitch, I'd go with Elastic Audio in Varispeed mode, and tempo map the speed change.

If it's just speed, I'd do the above, but in Monophonic mode, and then when I was satisfied with the speed ramp, I'd switch EA to X-Form rendered, before committing the track & turning off EA.

You could also try either Melodyne, which would be more time consuming if you used standalone mode, or can get a little quirky if you're using it as a plug-in, following a tempo map - or alternatively, do the speed ramp in Ableton Live, and ReWire it in to PT.

DC-Choppah
12-05-2013, 12:46 AM
Extend the audio with blank pad 1X on the head and 2X on the tail.

Speed it up by 4x using elastic audio.

Reverse the audio using Audio Suite/Reverse.

Insert Vari-fi to make it slow down continuously.

Bus record.

Reverse the resulting audio.

voxone
12-05-2013, 12:48 AM
Thanks Carl! Great tip!

It does what I want, but the sound quality is not what I hoped for.
I'm taking it from 60 BPM to 250 BPM for a 15 seconds long recording it ends up being 8 seconds when speeded up. That may be beyond the limits of what X-form can do with preserved sound quality?

Spoken voice is hard to manipulate this way. I know! Even so, I'm hoping there is some way to do this with preserved quality.

Carl Kolchak
12-05-2013, 07:18 AM
It does what I want, but the sound quality is not what I hoped for.
I'm taking it from 60 BPM to 250 BPM for a 15 seconds long recording it ends up being 8 seconds when speeded up. That may be beyond the limits of what X-form can do with preserved sound quality?

Time Stretching a vocal has always been an art, and was much more prone to artefacts (as well as target tempo restrictions) when it first became popular in the 90's.

The quality has improved with each generation of software, but you may want to resort to an old technique, that always yielded the best results "back in the day".

Instead of trying to do it all in one hit, do it in several smaller passes (sometimes you'll have to switch algorithms as you progress, to preserve the quality) and be prepared to have to undo stages, and try a different amount of cumulative stretching.

The same applies if you need to adjust the pitch, as well as the timing - better to not do both in the same process. So get the pitch correct first, then work on the timing.

nexis
12-05-2013, 09:41 PM
Try Pitch N Time Pro. It works GREAT! It's pricey, but it works...

nexis

Carl Kolchak
12-06-2013, 04:29 AM
Try Pitch N Time Pro. It works GREAT! It's pricey, but it works...

nexis

At the other end of the spectrum (i.e. free) is the original Pro Tools TC/E plug-in.

I should have mentioned this in the first place, but it slipped my mind, as it's only just been put back in PT11.

As strange as it may seem, the best time-stretching plug-in for dialogue & vocals that there ever seems to have been, is the default Pro Tools TCE plig-in (not to be confused with the other free TCE plug-in bundled with Pro Tools, called "Time Shift").

That's literally the only thing it's good for, but nothing else seems to come close.

You'd have to cut the dialogue in to individual words, and time-compress each one slightly more than the previous, in order to get the speed-ramp you're looking for, but it might just be the plug-in you're looking for.