PDA

View Full Version : Removing vocals

AussieAxeman
11-15-2013, 02:52 AM
G'day all,

I've recently picked up some work with an events company programming music and editing tracks for sporting events.

I'm basically re-arranging tracks with simple cut and paste. For an MC/announcer track, there must be no vocals. The track just has to build a bit of tension/excitement without overwhelming the announcer's voice. Sometimes I find the perfect track, but it's got bloody vocals over the section I want to use. Occasionally, I'm able to find an instrumental version of the track, but I'd much rather be able to make my own.

The tracks need to be really clean. Can't have any artifacts of the vocals left at all.

I've tried the out of phase/center canceling trick, but I've found it cuts too much of the low frequencies and leaves in any backing vocals or reverb that wasn't in the center.

Does anybody know of a method/piece of software I could use to make this work? I had a look at Melodyne. Would this do the trick?

Thanks in advance ;-)

Shan
11-15-2013, 04:08 AM
I've tried the out of phase/center canceling trick, but I've found it cuts too much of the low frequencies and leaves in any backing vocals or reverb that wasn't in the center.

I do this often for the program material of figure skaters and various dance teams. In brief, you can use a high pass filter to keep the low end when you cancel the phantom center. On the plug-in side, I've found Waves Center (http://www.waves.com/plugins/center) to do the job well most of the time, depending on the source material of course.

Shane

Emcha_audio
11-15-2013, 04:54 PM
G'day all,

I've recently picked up some work with an events company programming music and editing tracks for sporting events.

I'm basically re-arranging tracks with simple cut and paste. For an MC/announcer track, there must be no vocals. The track just has to build a bit of tension/excitement without overwhelming the announcer's voice. Sometimes I find the perfect track, but it's got bloody vocals over the section I want to use. Occasionally, I'm able to find an instrumental version of the track, but I'd much rather be able to make my own.

The tracks need to be really clean. Can't have any artifacts of the vocals left at all.

Does anybody know of a method/piece of software I could use to make this work? I had a look at Melodyne. Would this do the trick?

Thanks in advance ;-)

If the back vox are not centered and the reverb is moving every where, not much thing you will able to do about it.

Top Jimmy
11-15-2013, 06:16 PM
I've gotten some surprisingly good results with Roland's R-Mix. It can remove anything that you see in the spectral display. Though this too creates that hole in the mix sound, but you can beef it back up with spectral rebalancing, reverb, delay and/or integrating a loop.

Parroted on my iPad with Tapasquawk.

Craig F
11-15-2013, 07:03 PM
long shot but your could try RX3's Spectral Repair

Shan
11-15-2013, 10:44 PM
Another useful tool for frequency specific reduction is Pitchmap (http://www.zynaptiq.com/pitchmap/). Unveil and Unfilter are also a good useful set of tools on this subject.

Shane

AussieAxeman
11-17-2013, 05:23 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. It appears there is no one size fits all tool or method.

Craig F
11-17-2013, 05:27 PM
Taking vocals out of a mix is like taking the eggs out of a baked cake