PDA

View Full Version : Thanks for the frustration

saxplaya81
11-11-2013, 05:47 PM
I'm basically just posting this because I need to vent. I just upgraded from PT 8 to 11 and after spending hundreds of dollars I find out that I cant use any of my 3rd party plug-ins with the new version. I absolutely refuse to believe that the technology does not exist to make RTAS compatible with the newer versions of pro tools and that this is no more than a way to generate profits. So in my frustration I said ok here's what I'll do....Oh btw I bought a brand new 64bit system just to use PT11 because my other system is running the great windows XP. Uh hem, so in my frustration I said here's what I'll do, I'll just use PT11 to record in then I'll use PT8 on the other computer to do my mixes (because there is no way I'm using those stock pt plug-ins, the DVERB made my vocalist sound like I recorded her with a tin can and a string and not a Neumann mic). So I go to Fry's, which is 45 minutes away and I buy this really cool switch that allows me to use one keyboard, mouse, and monitor for both computers and all I have to do is press a button to switch back and forth (see what I mean about the technology), and a 32gig flash drive. So.....I finish a couple sessions and get them ready for mix down and I'm like hhmmmm how am I gonna do this. So after messing around for a little bit I'm like GREAT! I can export the session into a ptf file and just open it up on the other system no problem...WRONG...PROBLEM! So I put the session on the flash drive and transfer onto the other computer and when I go to open it up, at the very end of the loading process, and I mean with 2 little dots remaining...BAM! I get b!@$h slapped with an error code. So I close and restart and BAM slapped again. At this point I got 2 black eyes so I restart the computer entirely and try again and this time I get socked in the.......At this point I'm so flippin' P'd off that I'm ready to just through both computers in the pacific ocean. This has been the most painful evolution in all my years of being an audio engineer!

Bruce Paine
11-11-2013, 08:30 PM
I just upgraded from PT 8 to 11 and after spending hundreds of dollars I find out that I cant use any of my 3rd party plug-ins with the new version.
Your Pro Tools 11 upgrade includes Pro Tools 10, which will allow you to use any RTAS plug-ins that have not been updated to AAX.

Here are some posts that may help in installation and updating your Pro Tools 10 and 11 apps:
Pro Tools 11 Discussion forum >
Sticky: How to Activate and Download Pro Tools 11 (http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=343731)

Check here to see which of your plug-ins have been updated to AAX for Pro Tools 11:
AAX Plug-ins forum >
Sticky: Avid 64-bit AAX Plug-ins for Pro Tools 11 (http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=340211)
Sticky: 3rd party 64-bit AAX Plug-ins for Pro Tools 11 (http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=340230)

saxplaya81
11-11-2013, 09:45 PM
Thanks for your reply Bruce. I'll give the 10 a shot

nst7
11-12-2013, 06:46 AM
While I understand your frustration, it was announced 2 years ago when PT10 first came out, that it would be the last version to support RTAS, and that the next version would be 64 bit, so I'm not sure why this came as a sudden surprise.

Also, not every 3rd party company is actually charging money for AAX updates. Some are free, some are charging, and some require you to upgrade to the newest version of their plugins for AAX compatibility. Let us know which ones you have, and we can help direct you.

saxplaya81
11-22-2013, 09:53 AM
While I understand your frustration, it was announced 2 years ago when PT10 first came out, that it would be the last version to support RTAS, and that the next version would be 64 bit, so I'm not sure why this came as a sudden surprise.

Also, not every 3rd party company is actually charging money for AAX updates. Some are free, some are charging, and some require you to upgrade to the newest version of their plugins for AAX compatibility. Let us know which ones you have, and we can help direct you.

Gee maybe it came as a surprise because as a busy musician, producer, and engineer, I didn't get the memo. All of the problems I'm having now are exactly the reason I waited until now to upgrade; which I'm regretting wasting my money on.

Sam C
11-22-2013, 10:46 AM
Gee maybe it came as a surprise because as a busy musician, producer, and engineer, I didn't get the memo. All of the problems I'm having now are exactly the reason I waited until now to upgrade; which I'm regretting wasting my money on.

Poor excuse...you should have been aware even if you were in a cave. I actually am in a cave and I knew.

Quite frankly, with all of the hats you wear, it is a crime you did not know..it should be your business to know!

Darryl Ramm
11-22-2013, 10:52 AM

The producer part of you should have a stern word with the engineer part.

Glenjb
11-22-2013, 11:06 AM
which I'm regretting wasting my money on.

Just install and use PT10. You can still use all your plugins and plus you have some big improvements since PT8 including automatic delay compensation and clip gain. Try checking out pro-tools-expert.com once a month/week/day and stay on top of your DAW and also when your plugins are ready for version 11

Plus

Check out

blue cat patchworks or mb7

Ddmf metaplugin

These allow you to host 64 bit vst (ddmf also audio units) inside pro tools 11 so if your plugins have a 64 bit vst version you can use them in 11. Try the demos

mesaone
11-22-2013, 11:21 AM
Just install and use PT10.

Yep. The silver lining is that your purchase of PT11 came with a PT10 license. So you still got an upgrade, even if you never even open PT11. Don't be frustrated, start enjoying the new features of 10 and move on to 11 when you're good and ready.